How do you stop the unhealthy snacking?

Options
So I just started here, and, well, fell off the wagon quite fast.. I just scarfed down twice the recommended serving of my little brother's animal crackers and some scallion pancakes.
How do you guys stop the craving for munchies?

Replies

• TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For me, it's mind over matter. And then there's this.... d9583057a82f7453332cb80971fe3271.jpg
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    There are lots of things you can do that can help, so it will take some experimentation to find out what works for you. The biggest thing is to log everything and then reflect on what might have contributed to the overdoing it. Were you too hungry? Were you feeling an emotion and you managed it through eating? Were you eating mindlessly and not paying attention? Were you telling yourself this is bad so what the heck?

I've also found it helpful to make sure to be eating good, hearty meals every day so I'm not overly hungry and getting good nutrition, and then for me upping my fat levels a bit seemed to help a lot. I also try NOT to eat snack foods on their own but have them with a meal or with some healthy fat or protein.
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I log everything before I eat it, once I see the numbers it's easier to decide to pass on something. Also it gives me a chance to think about why I'm wanting it; is it mindless snacking? meal time? Am I thirsty? Just taking my mind off of it usually does the trick. You can still have your animal crackers and scallion pancakes, you just need to make sure you are making adjustments with the rest of your intake for the day.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    For me, it's mind over matter. And then there's this.... d9583057a82f7453332cb80971fe3271.jpg

Worst Twitch feed. Ever.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Plan your entire day ahead of time, then follow the plan.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    So I just started here, and, well, fell off the wagon quite fast.. I just scarfed down twice the recommended serving of my little brother's animal crackers and some scallion pancakes.
    How do you guys stop the craving for munchies?

Its really about creating other habits, using portion control and maybe making other choices. now you get thirty lashes with a wet noodle and jog around the block three times....

• runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a hot green tea when the munchies strike. Just the act of getting out of the spot I was in and doing something so unrelated that I can't munch helps too, like painting my nails or taking a walk around the office. You do have to try different diversions to see what works for you. Once you start seeing some good progress, the ability to avoid the munchies may come easier. :)
  • primrose2572
    primrose2572 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Classic!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I compare the amount of calories in what I'm about to eat and compare it to the amount of effort it would take to burn those calories. Last night I ate a brownie that was 170 calories. That's about a one mile walk, and 15 minutes for me. I think to myself...is that brownie worth walking a mile for? Last night it was, but only because I had a large calorie deficit. Had I been close I would have either walked that mile to account for it, or skipped it.

I always try to relate the calories in to the amount of effort it takes to burn it back off.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    What's wrong with two servings of animal crackers? If it fits into your calories, no biggie!

I used to eat practically half a bag of chips after getting home from work daily. The thing that resolved this junk food craving was choosing a healthy snack 1-3 hours earlier to keep my hunger from getting out of control.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions, healthier options, and fitting treats in my calorie goal.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started. I check my weekly average on the app and those red numbers really make you think twice. Mistakes are natural and help you learn. Just don't keep making the same mistakes
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

What a wonderful way to develop an eating disorder.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everyone has offered great advice - I have been there as well.

Once I actually went and burned off the excess calories I consumed at dinner. It was back when I first started out and I REALLY wanted kraft dinner with supper. So I made a box.. and ate exactly half the box. After I ate I logged it and it put me over my calories for the day by more than 400 calories. An hour later I got on the treadmill to burn off those 400 calories. After 40 mins of jogging on the treadmill (which was tough for me since I was pretty out of shape then) I decided right there that kraft dinner was NOT worth the energy needed to burn it. This actually has helped me curb those cravings just remembering that night.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

Snort! FTW!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Measure or count the food and log it in your diary before eating the first piece.

NEVER eat straight from the box or bag.

You must be determined and committed to doing it for you and no other reason or purpose.
  • KimiLosingWeight
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the tips :) I'll keep them in mind, though the best ones are the ones that advice in thinking if the food is worth the effort of losing it, and about the right portion and not straight out of the box. I apologize since I didn't realize that MFP didn't send out alerts when an opened discussion was getting any replies, and I just chalked it up to no one noticing. Oh boy, was I wrong :) Thanks again!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,206 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I compare the amount of calories in what I'm about to eat and compare it to the amount of effort it would take to burn those calories. Last night I ate a brownie that was 170 calories. That's about a one mile walk, and 15 minutes for me. I think to myself...is that brownie worth walking a mile for? Last night it was, but only because I had a large calorie deficit. Had I been close I would have either walked that mile to account for it, or skipped it.

I always try to relate the calories in to the amount of effort it takes to burn it back off.

+1

Yep ... if I want something special, I'd better have a plan to burn it off. :)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just log it ..and then at the end of the day if I'm hungry think well if I'd have fewer animal crackers I could eat this now, but I ate double what I wanted so I can't

That kind of logic basically helps you decide if it's worth it or not
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    leahkite wrote: »
    I log everything before I eat it, once I see the numbers it's easier to decide to pass on something. Also it gives me a chance to think about why I'm wanting it; is it mindless snacking? meal time? Am I thirsty? Just taking my mind off of it usually does the trick. You can still have your animal crackers and scallion pancakes, you just need to make sure you are making adjustments with the rest of your intake for the day.

I like this post and wish I had read it before I mindlessly ate a packet of jelly beans whilst reading a book. They were left by my son and were just sitting there begging me to eat them. Gosh when I looked at the calorie count they were more than what I had for breakfast.