Training for my FIRST marathon

Options
Just started training for my first marathon! It isn't until September but if anyone had any advice I would love to hear from you.

Replies

• goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I don't know how much prior running experience you have, so don't know if this will be helpful. I've done quite a few half marathons, but only one full.

I think marathon success primarily depends on two things - (1) putting in the training miles and (2) keeping injury at bay.

For me, being fully committed to the training plan and doing my long runs with a training group was helpful. It was nice not to log all those long runs by myself.

Overuse injury is always a risk when you ramp up the miles. Cross training was helpful to me in the early part of the plan, but once the long runs got into the high 'teens I needed to give that up. The value of truly resting on non-running days outweighed whatever core fitness improvement I was getting by swimming, biking, etc.

One other tip. I got very bored of listening to music. Podcasts were a great way to engage my brain or entertain me during those really long runs.
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm also planning to do my first full marathon this fall. I've done a few half's but will be looking forward to hearing any advice you get!
  • mishathompson
    mishathompson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks goanothermile! It's funny that you mentioned injury. I had been running a few miles here and there so I decided to do a long run this past weekend - 8 miles! My left calf started hurting at the end and when I tried to run next I was in pain again. I will definitely pay attention to my body and try to avoid injury. I don't know what I was thinking! Thanks for your advice. I hope I can stay motivated. I bought some books. (Even a chicken soup book for the runners soul). I am also worried about finding the time to train this summer.

Good Luck time4kim2014! I am with you ;) we can do this!!!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    my first is in two weeks. i truly feel at this point its all mental and if i have the mental toughness to get though it my body will follow. the fear of the unknown is scary for me. I had a overuse injury happen in april and had to stop running for 3.5 weeks (grade II groin strain) so my training milage never got up to the top of 20 miles last weekend. I am currently only up to 16 and with two weeks to go i plan on no longer runs than 12 at this point. My goal is to finish and to not get hurt. i will ever beat land speed records as i am a 11:30-12 min miler to begin with so as long as i finsh around 5:30 hours im good.

honestly my biggest worry is the hills. i hate hills and despite training them i still cant effectivly run up or down them.. my marathon is in hilly seattle :)