What kind of milk is the "default" for lattes?

Options
I'm sipping on a delicious 16oz latte from my local super-trendy upscale hipster coffee shop. I was too nervous to ask the flannel-sporting thick-bearded tattooed barista if they use skim or 2%. I would assume 2%, correct? Doesn't taste rich enough to be whole, and it's nicely foamed with the fancy artwork on top. It's flavored with lavender syrup and honey as well, yum!!

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum! The cafe I used to work for in the UK always used semi-skimmed as their standard.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Definitely not skimmed, which is why so many people specify "nonfat" lattes. Can't help you between the other options though, now I just want coffee. mmmmmmmm.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I spent years as a barista, and our default was always full fat, with 2% being the "skinny" version. Never once saw actual skim being used.
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    When I worked at a coffee shop, our default was either 2% or Vitamin D milk, whichever we had more of in stock. Never skim because it doesn't make as creamy of lattes. That is why you always have to specify if you want a light/fat free/skinny latte. You are most likely drinking 2% or Vitamin D, although some coffee shop do use whole
  • almostplenty
    almostplenty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I will log as whole/vitamin D just to be safe.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My local place and Starbucks both default to 2% for lattes.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My mom owns a coffee shop and our default is 2%. Whole milk is just too damned expensive lol
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    from my experience either 2% or full fat.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Depends, but I think generally 2%
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would assume full fat, whole milk unless you specified. I always ask for skim, even at the cafe at work that only carries skim...you never know when they might change that LOL.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it is probably full fat. I always specify skinny. And for some reason they always ask if I want cream on top. If I wanted skinny, why wold I want cream? Crazy people...
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your latte sounds delicious! And you can definitely ask for different milk if you like, my local coffee shop has soy and almond milk as well as the regular full-fat, 2%, skim and non-fat kinds.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that all coffee drinks that contain milk SHOULD be made with whole, 4% fat milk.

However, many of the local coffee shops around me in the UK use semi-skimmed (2%) milk. I usually ask in advance if they have skimmed milk available, many do not.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    It really all depends. I know most places use 2% (Starbucks being one of them) for their standard lattes, but Starbucks' new Flat White comes with whole milk, so that's their exception to their hot drinks. However, for a Starbucks Frappuccino they use whole milk, for a Frozen Cappuccino at WaWa they use cream, for a Frozen Coffee Coolatta at Dunkin Donuts they use cream (unless otherwise specified), and the list goes on.
    The most helpful thing I could recommend would be to ask them - I'm sure they won't keep it a secret! I also just about guaranteed that they have other milk varieties available if they're a coffee shop, and would be more than happy to substitute whatever you ask!
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    2% is often used because it's the easiest to get the type of froth necessary for latte arte (the pretty designs on top). But you should definitely check. In theory a latte should be 3 parts milk to 1 part coffee, so a 16oz latte should have 12oz. of milk. so the difference between low fat and whole milk is around 40 calories or so.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In the UK I think default is semi skimmed 2% and skinny is skimmed.

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Costa in the UK use Skimmed for skinny Capps or lattes. Thank the Lord lol
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    My mom owns a coffee shop and our default is 2%. Whole milk is just too damned expensive lol

That's weird, I would assume 2% would be more expensive. It's obviously made from whole milk. A chemical processes is needed to separate out the fat. Which takes more time, more work hours and should cost more.

You'd think. It's actually $0.50 more than 2%. (Making it close to $6/gallon)

ETA just checked, and it went up to $0.60 more. smh.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

That's weird, I would assume 2% would be more expensive. It's obviously made from whole milk. A chemical processes is needed to separate out the fat. Which takes more time, more work hours and should cost more.

It's not exactly made from whole milk. The raw milk is spun and separated into various mixtures - skim, low, reduced, whole, light cream, heavy cream, etc. so low fat milk yields more milkfats which can be used for butter, cream or other products. hence the sometimes lower price. Though really I think it is just a supply/demand thing.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I'm afraid it is probably full fat. I always specify skinny. And for some reason they always ask if I want cream on top. If I wanted skinny, why wold I want cream? Crazy people...

Oh, man, I used to work at coffee shops and baristas definitely don't assume as we've heard it all. I'll never forget the person who asked me to add ten (TEN!) sugar packets to their nonfat mocha. :neutral_face: A lot of people get the nonfat milk to feel better about adding the whipped cream.

(Related story: used to work at a Cold Stone Creamery in high school and people would get the "sinless" sweet cream flavor which is made from Splenda not real sugar--in my opinion, you might as well eat plain shaved ice for all the flavor you get in there and same texture--and load it up with brownies, candy, etc. The "sinless" part made them feel better about the toppings. For some folks, it's a trade-off, I suppose.)

Also, both coffee shops I worked at used whole milk as a default, unless the person in line in front of you requested 2% and I had leftover :) (They were locally owned, not corporate though.) Your barista won't judge if you ask or have a preference!

Edited: typo