Need help gaining weight!

Options
I'm a very petite 20 year old.
I am over 10 pounds underweight for my height and I don't have a very big appetite most of the time.
I keep trying different types of food to gain weight but nothing has seemed to work so far.
Does anyone have any suggestions of good weight-gain food?

Replies

• benjam2421
    benjam2421 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    eat...more....calories....=]
  • laurengross456
    laurengross456 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    benjam2421 wrote: »

Haha well thanks! That's what I'm trying to do but I only seem to get at most 1,000 cal on a good day
  • edweber7
    edweber7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eat until you're full then drink calories. Rinse repeat :)
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    edweber7 wrote: »
    Protein shakes
    Protein shakes are pretty low calorie. You have to start adding things to them. And they'll make her full then she won't be eating more of other things.

Do you enjoy any high calorie food, Laurengross? Eat nuts. Drink wholemilk milkshakes or whip up a smoothie with peanut butter. Avocados? Butter?

• majuss86
    majuss86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Haha well thanks! That's what I'm trying to do but I only seem to get at most 1,000 cal on a good day

1000 cal per day? I'm also quit skinny and trying to gain some weight, but I can't imagine eating so little, my breakfast is about 400-500 kcal: oatmeal with nuts, milk, fruit. I eat about 1750 kcal in days when I have no workouts, and additional 200 cal when I have workout during the day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Completely stealing this from another user, but here are some higher calorie foods to help you get to your goal (to put on weight, you're going to need to eat above maintenance, which will be well above 1000 calories).

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    drink a gallon of milk a day
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    drink a gallon of milk a day
    I know that's you Rippetoe
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

So your problem is you get full too easily? Try blending up milk, protein powder, peanut butter, banana, avocado and seeing if that helps. If you drink tea/coffee you can melt in some coconut oil and add olive oil or butter into food.
  • laurengross456
    Options

So your problem is you get full too easily? Try blending up milk, protein powder, peanut butter, banana, avocado and seeing if that helps. If you drink tea/coffee you can melt in some coconut oil and add olive oil or butter into food.

That's a good idea, I'll have to try that. Thank you!
    I haven't heard of adding coconut oil to tea and coffee, but that sounds like it could work pretty well.
  • laurengross456
    edited March 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Completely stealing this from another user, but here are some higher calorie foods to help you get to your goal (to put on weight, you're going to need to eat above maintenance, which will be well above 1000 calories).

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

This list is awesome. thank you!!
    I'm going to try to have most of what I eat come from these things. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    two servings of ice cream is about 300 to 400 calories...

everyone can use more ice cream in their day, right?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    two servings of ice cream is about 300 to 400 calories...

everyone can use more ice cream in their day, right?

Preach on.
  • emilybradshaw25
    Options
    A year ago I could only manage 1000 calories on a good day, I went to see my doctor and got nutrition drinks - like a meal in milkshake form. These helped me increase my calories and increase my appetite slowly. I still drink these drinks now and aim for 3000 calories a day! I love eating now. I like avocados, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, dried fruits, smoothies, cheese etc. I'm going to start protein shakes soon as need to up my protein intake. I try to have a big breakfast in the morning (600-800 calories) to give me energy for the day. I also snack throughout the day and get really hungry at night - sometimes I even wake up in the middle of the night!! Good luck with gaining weight - find the foods you like and eat lots of them!! <3
  • laurengross456
    Options
    A year ago I could only manage 1000 calories on a good day, I went to see my doctor and got nutrition drinks - like a meal in milkshake form. These helped me increase my calories and increase my appetite slowly. I still drink these drinks now and aim for 3000 calories a day! I love eating now. I like avocados, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, dried fruits, smoothies, cheese etc. I'm going to start protein shakes soon as need to up my protein intake. I try to have a big breakfast in the morning (600-800 calories) to give me energy for the day. I also snack throughout the day and get really hungry at night - sometimes I even wake up in the middle of the night!! Good luck with gaining weight - find the foods you like and eat lots of them!! <3

Thank you so much! I appreciate the support. I hadn't thought about nutrition drinks, only the protein shakes. So I'll have to try that. Thanks :)
  • davinawolfe
    Options
    You have to workout! Avoid cardio. Do some resistance/strength training.( squats, calf raises, keep backs, etc). Since you don't eat your daily recommend intake buy supplements, protein powder(drink with milk in your case), nuts, and take your multivitamins. After a good workout, you will be starvingggg so you will eat Everything in sight. Should definitely see and feel a difference within 3 weeks. Only if you stay dedicated and focused.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. every. Day.
  • lauraj211
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight too and found this thread really useful. Thanks and good luck x
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    eating nuts or any kind of nut butter can add calories very quickly and easily

coconut oil -900 calories per 100g
    peanut butter - 600 calories per 100g
    Cashew nuts - 530 calories per 100g
    almond 570 calories per 100g
    Macadamia Nut 720 calories per 100g