Obsessed with oatmeal

Options
i love oatmeal and I know it's good for you but today I had 4 bowls and that's not uncommon for me, my calories proteins and fats are fairly balanced and calorie intake is still okay, is it bad??? And how do I stop if I need to

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is fine. Make sure that you are getting enough fat and protein and you are good.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're getting enough protein and fats I don't see why it'd be a bad thing to eat oatmeal frequently. Is there a particular reason you eat it so often?
  • Feeneym20
    Feeneym20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you both , I just love the taste I don't know why , and yes my proteins and fats are fine thanks girls
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hahahha.. i luv it too. its so yum
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    absolutely nothing wrong with it.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Feeneym20 wrote: »
    i love oatmeal and I know it's good for you but today I had 4 bowls and that's not uncommon for me, my calories proteins and fats are fairly balanced and calorie intake is still okay, is it bad??? And how do I stop if I need to

There are worse things to be addicted to!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I had oatmeal this morning! Try changing it up a little and add a spoonful of peanut butter and some sliced bananas. Or even grits. Mmmm...
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    :D I love oatmeal too. Is a must have for breakfast. I love adding fruits and it helps to make it sweeter without the need of adding sugar. (Something I just learned recently) sometimes I eat it in the morning but also at night after a long walk. But glad to see some likes it as much as me. ( well I think more than me ) jeje. :D
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Before I started to get into fitness competing, someone once told me ew you have to eat sweet potatoes..and OATMEAL. I was like yum? my favorite foods you mean? I loooove my oatmeal. So versatile. To up the protein and satiety, I add a half a scoop to a scoop of vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder a little almond or cashew milk, and it's like dessert.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    On this episode of My Strange Addiction... ;)
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    But our body can only use up so many carbs at a time so maybe 4 servings can be cut to 2 a day. Otherwise your muscles will store glycogen from carbs only up to a point, and when saturated (unless you use em up by exercising), will spill over to your other storage area, fat stores. I love my oatmeal but I try to get my carbs in from fibrous veggies the rest of the time, as I get closer to the end of my day.
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    VitaSh wrote: »
    But our body can only use up so many carbs at a time so maybe 4 servings can be cut to 2 a day. Otherwise your muscles will store glycogen from carbs only up to a point, and when saturated (unless you use em up by exercising), will spill over to your other storage area, fat stores. I love my oatmeal but I try to get my carbs in from fibrous veggies the rest of the time, as I get closer to the end of my day.

OP, don't pay too much attention to this. Track your calories. Calories in vs calories out, as always, comes first for weight loss. Then make sure you're getting the macros you have set out for yourself. You can add stuff to your oatmeal to affect the macro balance (a scoop or chocolate whey & tablespoon peanut butter, as an example).
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    A university student in scotland once got scurvy from exclusively eating porridge (oatmeal)

Yes, its a great tasty food- but make sure you get some vitamins and minerals too!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    As long as you're under your calorie limit and your macros are okay, I see nothing wrong with eating oatmeal often. I would suggest switching to a "no added sugar" type of oatmeal if you're not already eating it.

And although its not "no sugar added," I love all the oatmeals from Better Oats.
    betteroats.com/
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think that, for me, the oatmeal's doing what my doctor was hoping: I obeyed her in having some every single day - I had some bloodwork done on December 7 and the cholesterol results are in:

In September total cholesterol was 331; now is 253.
    LDL was 216 and now is 151.
    HDL was 75 and is now 79.

So everything seems to be heading in the right direction, and in January, when I get bloodwork again, I'm hoping for even better results and a decision NOT to go on statins. So, I guess oatmeal and I are together to stay.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have room for all that oatmeal. I like large servings for less calories so I make zoats instead. If you're interested, they might be a nice change.