Anyone with MS starting out? Or any other condition/injury?

Options
Hi all!! I have had MS for almost 19 years. Doing pretty well-not a lot of restrictions etc. I try to do a mini stepper/cardio/walking for an hour. Fatigue and over heating is a problem. I started weights yesterday at the Y (very low) to increase muscle tone. Anyone out there interested in support or to help each other with tips?

Replies

• meganmickmeow
    meganmickmeow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennygarofolo,
    I have ankylosing spondylitis (an autoimmune arthritis that largely affects the spine, but for some of us it's also in our feet, hands, shoulders. Really anywhere with tendons) and hashimotos (autoimmune hypothyroid disease). Fatigue is my biggest problem for sure. Also exercising when I am already in pain.
    It would be great to connect with others on here who also have chronic conditions!
    How did you feel after trying weights yesterday?
  • jennygarofalo
    jennygarofalo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Today I am sore. It was bad when I got up by now back to being normal. I did light jogging today for an hour. I then went to Target and bought a beginner's Yoga set-mat, block and 2 DVDs for $25. I have never attempted Yoga so this should be interesting.
  • meganmickmeow
    meganmickmeow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga a bit, and now try to incorporate a lot of the stretches into a stretching routine. It's pretty amazing how hard some of the poses are! It's more workout than I first imagined!
    It's good too because it helps one focus and relax the mind, which when you have a chronic illness... Always seems to be going. It's good "me time" :)