underwater HRM?

Options
I swim usually at least 3-4 times a week and I would love to have a heart rate monitor that would be able to measure my heart rate underwater. Does anyone know if one exists? I have seen a few that have said that they are water resistant, but that they would not work if completely submerged. I am so hesitant to take the MFP calories as true since whenever I am on the elliptical machine, the machine always states that I burned about 100 calories less than what MFP estimates that I would be burning for the same amount. So of course, I go by what the machine states.

Replies

• Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Bump
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 is waterproof! I go swimming and take water aerobics, wear the chest strap and watch and they both work perfect!
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I will look into it. Thank you!
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Check out the web site for your HRM. Water resistent usually means to a certain depth level. I used to swim with my HRM all the time and it was a very inexpensive model. It also said water resistant. I would be more worried about the "watch" than the HRM band.
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    I already did check out the website and thats why I decided on that particular model. It works great for me, no problems with it since getting it. I would always research something like that if im going to shell out some good money for it!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Make sure you read the fine print. My HRM said it was water resistant but in little print (not on the website but in the manual) it said does not record hear rate while submerged. :grumble:

I wish I would have known.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bumpy
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem with Polar ones - they say that they are waterproof - but actually in the small print it wont record HR which is why I bought it. Need to find one that works under water!
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    Well, I dont dive deep with mine, but use it for laps and Water Aerobics and it has been fine. They just mean no diving such as scuba and stuff like that. But if you are that nervous about it, then try another brand for sure!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft60 I have used it for swimming and aquarobics with no problem recording heart rate on either. I contacted Polar to check and they told me that it is fine for swimming but that the chlorine may affect the signal and not to operate the buttons while it is wet. So far it has been problem free.