Stick THAT in your mouth...

Options
Eyoung8
Eyoung8 Posts: 107 Member
With kids and a spouse CONCERNED NOT with avoiding less then healthful foods, this battle amplifies.

As a matriarch, leading my family and modeling healthy food choices is not the issue. I wouldn't say this is difficult, challenging at times, but not difficult. Healthy snacks are abundant and the choice lies with whether you want to buy cookies or peaches for a snack (I buy lots of fruits, yougurt, applesauce, etc. for my young children, my spouse, and I so those ARE the only snack options).

HOWEVER, when the occassional snack DOES find its way through these doors, temptation comes right behind it...laughing it's head off. So what do you do? What do I do?

Food and temptation are EVERYWHERE. We can't escape it. I guess I've learned not to try to escape it, but to combat it!

My secret, which really is not a secret, is...GUM

Yes, GUM. Good ole' sugar-free GUM!

To satisfy my urge to chew when something sweet (my fav), gooey (my fav), chocolatey (my fav), cheesey (my fav), or buttery (especially my fav) comes through the door I pull out my secret weapon. A stick of gum (personally-Trident Layers).

Now does this do the trick ALL THE TIME-heck no. Is this appropriate ALL THE TIME-heck no (lifestyle change means have a little sometimes as opposed to deprivation. And YES-moderation IS a good thing;)

But many times it works (for me) and TAKES MY MIND OFF EATING when I've already had a meal or a snack (a fiber one bar, a fruit cup, a Chobani yougurt, or whatever) and I'm STILL HUNGRY.

Or when I'm up late (worst time EVER for me) and am feeling "snacky."

Or when my family is enjoying the very rare, but very special "after church" treat of salty...greasy french fries and beefy cheesey bacon cheese burgers....
...and I'm chewing gum...:ohwell: (LOL)

So stick THAT in your mouth!

Replies

• lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it!!! * runs out the door to purchase gum !!!!! *
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about something else. Misleading subject lines $%$*#%...
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    I like this post, well written and a good tip. I like intelligent posts! Gum it is
  • vw8dst
    vw8dst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love it! I found myself doing that one day--Dentyne is my weapon of choice; 3 calories but potent. My other weapon is, umm...well...actually going to bed. I'm usually a night owl (I think I read you stay up late alot); but that is my WORST time of the day....and I hide form the kitchen in my bed, laptop in tow, and then I end up falling asleep--which apparently is best for us for a number of reasons. I just happen to come by it by way of avoiding the kitchen. Yes, GUM is definitely a good weapon!
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options
    I love gum too! The extra desserts flavors are my current obsession. I'm also an exxsmoker so it sometimes kills 2 birds with one stone! Lol
  • shimmerlady
    shimmerlady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    totally agree and also if you just want a sugar buzz yourself it is great
  • terri0702
    terri0702 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great post! I am off to buy some gum!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    That's a good reminder, thanks for a great thread! :smile:
  • Eyoung8
    Options
    I love it! I found myself doing that one day--Dentyne is my weapon of choice; 3 calories but potent. My other weapon is, umm...well...actually going to bed. I'm usually a night owl (I think I read you stay up late alot); but that is my WORST time of the day....and I hide form the kitchen in my bed, laptop in tow, and then I end up falling asleep--which apparently is best for us for a number of reasons. I just happen to come by it by way of avoiding the kitchen. Yes, GUM is definitely a good weapon!

I DO stay up late. I also DO try to go to sleep to avoid the "snackies" (what I call it-lol) but with three little ones, it gets hard and late nights are my ONLY quiet time to enjoy. And it IS hard at night, but I like your idea-just take my laptop to bed and watch TV in my room until I fall asleep. Now why didn't I think of that. A whole lot better than fighting the fridge monster!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Eyoung8
    Options
    THANKS MFPals!!!:smile::smile: :smile:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Wish I could. But I'm sort-of TMJ-ish, and gum hurts my jaws. :(
  • Eyoung8
    Options
    Wish I could. But I'm sort-of TMJ-ish, and gum hurts my jaws. :(

Awwww man, well that kinda killed that idea for ya...sorry...:ohwell:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    chewing on the stuff now. I'm 100% in agreement with you. Gum has saved me a few pounds that's for sure :bigsmile:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about something else. Misleading subject lines $%$*#%...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NOW I know why your'e on my friend list! :smooched:
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I will. I've lost several battles against bad food in the last couple days and need all the help that I can get. Thanks for the tip.
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Gum works for me too.

That and black coffee (which I actually detest). That's my fall back when I get the afternoon munchies at work - not THE healthiest choice but it could be worse - I grab a cup of hot black unsweetened coffee and take it to my desk to sip. Usually takes me an hour to get through it (by which time its cold coffee) but it gets me through.
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    I LOVE gum, but I can't have any of the sugar-free (which is the majority of gum) kinds because I am allergic to the artificial sweeteners in them. I have found natural gum, but at a buck a pack (with like 10 tiny pieces) I don't buy it often...:frown:
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wanna try the dessert ones so bad but haven't been able to find them yet in Canada :( Time for a trip to the states ;)