Should I be reaching my calorie goal each day?

Options
My calorie goal is 1,670 and I am currently at 800 for today. Is that good or bad? I want to do this right. Is under eating just as unhelpful as over eating? Should I be reaching about 1,670 daily?

Replies

• TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to necessarily hit 1,670 everyday (though you should try to). Regardless you should never be under 1,200 for the day though. So yes, 800 for the entire day would be bad.
  • borgesjose
    borgesjose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it is important to nourish well if you want to be healthy.

I train hard 4 days per week and make sure to fuel myself with my allowable calories every day.

I find eating smaller meals through the day has helped me burn 30 lbs of fat so far...dont forget the water.
  • Feistiness72
    Feistiness72 Posts: 3,772 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Under eating is bad as over eating. Body may take it as starving and will hold on to fat longer and will be harder to lose weight. I find myself being few hundred under as well. I just got back to MFP a week ago and I am still trying to get into habit eating every 3-4 hours. Snacks but healthy of course. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish. Wish you well on your journey!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If it's just one day then don't fret. If it's happening regularly, then it would be wise to increase the amount of calories in your diet - as another poster said, it is important to meet a minimum of 1200 so that your body can function properly, but preferably aiming to meet your goal when possible.

You can add avocados, nuts and nut butters, dates or honey, full fat dairy, healthy oils, etc to your meals and snacks to increase their caloric value, without having to eat a ton more.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are supposed to be hitting whatever your calorie goal is until you weigh in again and then you should be hitting whatever the new calorie goal is. Eating half of your calories would help you reach your goal weight faster if you are trying to lose weight, but it is bad for you if you do it for a long time.
  • kbarrows0
    Options
    What is MFP?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    kbarrows0 wrote: »
    What is MFP?

This website. and OP, yes. It's a "goal" for a reason. Undereating will bite you in the *kitten*.
  • sandra211061
    sandra211061 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WHY are you only eating that amount?
  • bkofromans
    Options
    A few of you are saying do not go under 1200/day. I just started a 5 days ago and for my body to lose 1/2 lb per wk my MAX is 1200 cal per day.
  • bkofromans
    Options
    ...and that is without exercise
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if you are way under a day here and there, but overall you should be aiming to reach your target. Regular undereating can build up cravings and tempt you into a binge, not to mention that you need to fuel your body for daily activities.