Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Splenda = numb tongue, headache?

Hello!

I just wanted to share a very unpleasant experience I just had after having my regular chai tea but instead of sugar i used Splenda.

I put 3 teaspoons in it and after drinking it I started feeling funny; my tongue felt numb and also my throat. I immediately called my doctor and he told me its probably a reaction to ingredients and to go to the emergency room if it gets worse. Fortunately it got better and now, a couple hours later I just have a mild headache.

I know food in general can trigger reactions and cause allergies but I wanted to share this in case it's helpful. In my case I'll stick to sugar in moderation from now on...

Replies

• Shellee38
    Shellee38 Posts: 8 Member
    Try stevia way better for u a 0 calories
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Sounds like a bad reaction.
    Splenda is Sucralose I believe.
    As far as artificial sweeteners go, there is also NutraSweet and Equal (both are Aspartame). There is also Sweet n' Low (Saccharin).
    And if you prefer more natural then there is Stevia.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Stevia for the win
  • justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Yep been using stevia and can't tell difference they even have no calorie soda sweetened with it, it's great.
  • EliGarcia2
    EliGarcia2 Posts: 46 Member
    I will definitely try stevia next time, sounds much better than Splenda. Thanks for your replies!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    You'll probably have a similar reaction to aspartame. I get a horrid sore throat and headache within just a couple minutes of consuming aspartame. Now I use real sugar if I have the calories for it, or honey. If I don't have the calories, I just don't add sweetener. Plenty of people aren't sensitive at all to artificial sweeteners, but they are pretty bad for me.
  • EliGarcia2
    EliGarcia2 Posts: 46 Member
    You'll probably have a similar reaction to aspartame. I get a horrid sore throat and headache within just a couple minutes of consuming aspartame. Now I use real sugar if I have the calories for it, or honey. If I don't have the calories, I just don't add sweetener. Plenty of people aren't sensitive at all to artificial sweeteners, but they are pretty bad for me.

After this experience I will definitely stick to natural sweetener. Thank you for replying, I'll be more careful about what I eat :-/