Thoughts on protein shakes meal replacement

I am trying to stick to 1200 calorie a day intake to help I am replacing my two meals with this chocorite powder. 150 calories and no sugar.. Thoughts???

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    question - where did you get 1200 calories a day from? Is that the number that MFP gave you for one pound per week loss?
    -
    my thoughts - meal replacement shakes are a bad idea, and you are better off eating real food and teaching yourself how to make changes now that are going to be long lasting and sustaining. Do you really think that you are going to eat one meal and two shakes for the rest of your life?

Every once I a great while I have a protein shake for lunch because I am in a rush or something and whenever I do that like two hours later I am absolutely starving...

so eat real food and hit your calorie/macro/micro targets and you will be fine.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    You
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    question - where did you get 1200 calories a day from? Is that the number that MFP gave you for one pound per week loss?
    -
    my thoughts - meal replacement shakes are a bad idea, and you are better off eating real food and teaching yourself how to make changes now that are going to be long lasting and sustaining. Do you really think that you are going to eat one meal and two shakes for the rest of your life?

Every once I a great while I have a protein shake for lunch because I am in a rush or something and whenever I do that like two hours later I am absolutely starving...

^^^^ This. You also have 50pounds to lose so in all probability you can eat a lot more and still lose weight. You're in this for the long haul so avoid quick fixes or over aggressive calorie goals. Good luck
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I tried them for a week to replace breakfast. More out of convenience.

But I would prefer to have spaghetti on toast or eggs on toast or real food.

But I didn't find anything wrong with the shakes. They filled me up and had nutritional value with the protein and vitamins etc
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    I always have a protein drink after my morning workout. 1 Apple- 1 Scoop of Protien powder and a dash of cinnamon. Ninja the thing and it tastes like apple pie...
  • isulo_kura wrote: »
    You
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    -

^^^^ This. You also have 50pounds to lose so in all probability you can eat a lot more and still lose weight. You're in this for the long haul so avoid quick fixes or over aggressive calorie goals. Good luck

• I got the 1200 from this site!! Your right on the quick fix!! I was trying to shrink my stomach by trying to eat less. I am a stress eater and since my mom passed from cancer June 2012 I have just gained so much weight. I am tired of being unhealthy so when I get stressed and want to eat I look at this picture of me that makes me look so huge and I don't do it!!!
  • Thanks everyone for your advice!!!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I have a protein shake for breakfast. Very convenient for me. I use soy milk, protein powder, flax meal and powdered PB. It's about 350 calories. Not low cal in the respect for which you were looking. But yummy! :smiley:
  • Thank you!!! I really appreciate all the help. I changed it up today lol my protein drink with a 1/4 of geek yogurt it was pretty good!!!
  • I decided to do the meal replacement because I clean for a living and just got back to work. Had total hip replacement in June. So rather then not eat in the morning and lunch or grabbing fast food on the go. I figured meal replacement with mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. I just really thought 1200 not realistic but I figured it can't hurt considering the way I was eating before you know? Thanks again
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You could try the middle road, eating normal food just a little less. But more than 1200 cals :)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I usually drink a meal replacement shake for breakfast just because I don't really like eating much food in the morning, and it lets me eat more later in the day when I'm actually hungry. Just make sure that the product you're using is actually intended as a meal replacement and not just as a protein supplement.

Protein powders are usually just that - protein - and don't contain much else in the way of added vitamins and minerals. It can be a good post-workout snack or an addition to your normal diet, but it doesn't make a great meal replacement unless you mix it with other nutritious foods. So if you use that as your meal, you're likely missing out on a lot of nutrition that you would have otherwise gotten if you had eaten regular food. This is especially important with such a low calorie goal of 1200 a day, as it's already more difficult to get the nutrients your body needs.

If your powder is already formulated to act as a meal replacement, then you should be okay. Just make sure you're giving your body enough fuel, and work on finding a way of eating that leads to healthy maintenance and is sustainable long-term. :)
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Protein shakes are not designed to replace real food. It's not sustainable for your body.
    Eat real food, use supplements only when you have to. They are to supplement a diet not replace real food.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    I tried a protein shake this week for the first time. With my reduced calorie intake I have been having trouble meeting the 100g of protein my nutritionist wants me to intake to protect muscle. So he suggested the supplement. But I'm highly annoyed that the vendors all want to push these huge 10lbs tubs. What if I get sick of chocolate mint after a couple of days? The lack of sampler packages or variety packs makes me think the manufacturers KNOW they are only going to con you into a one time purchase. So they want to make it a huge one.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    I drink a Slimfast with extra protein shake every morning. I add a banana and use fat free milk so I get protein, dairy and fruit. I love them and it all comes out to about 300 calories. I'm on about 1,200 calories as well. They can replace "real food" if you want them to and I know tons of people who use meal replacement shakes very successfully because they actually like them.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    I have been using the GNC Lean Shake 25 once a day as a meal replacement. I was stuck at a plateau and after 2 months of doing the shakes I finally lost 5 lbs. It definitely helps cut calories and still provides good nutrition. And the GNC brand tastes very good. If the you get the Lean Shake 25, it has the added protein.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    I'd much rather chew my food. I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but I've never tried a protein powder that tasted good without adding all kinds of stuff, and calories. You're much more likely to stick to something if you don't dislike it.

For 150 calories I'd much prefer to eat 2 hard boiled eggs. If you boil and peel them ahead of time they're quick and easy to eat on the go and you'd save 10 calories since 1 large egg is 70 calories.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    I tried a protein shake this week for the first time. With my reduced calorie intake I have been having trouble meeting the 100g of protein my nutritionist wants me to intake to protect muscle. So he suggested the supplement. But I'm highly annoyed that the vendors all want to push these huge 10lbs tubs. What if I get sick of chocolate mint after a couple of days? The lack of sampler packages or variety packs makes me think the manufacturers KNOW they are only going to con you into a one time purchase. So they want to make it a huge one.

Just an idea, I always purchase vanilla because its a flavor you can add anything too. I keep vanilla protein powder at work in case if I forget lunch or snacks. If you want chocolate, add a little unsweetened cocoa (its small amount of calories, maybe 25 for what you put in there) and maybe a little sweetener if its too bland. Add in banana, cinnamon, and a little oatmeal for banana bread. Add in canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice for pumpkin pie. Add in a little chocolate and flavor syrup (like for flavoring coffee) for chocolate mint. Check Pinterest and there are a million and one recipes.