Not enough IRON

Options
Rari2017
Rari2017 Posts: 10 Member
For those that are hitting the 100% mark on Iron consuption, can you please tell me how you are achiving this. I am struggling to hit 10% daily.
*** I have been on Iron supplyments in the past and they cause massive tummy aches so would rather increase Iron levels naturally/

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Steak, dark chocolate, but most importantly - enriched cereal or cream of wheat!
    Honey bunches of oats has 80% iron for 1 cup (160 calories), and is amazing if you throw it in a ziploc bag as a snack to munch on when you're on the go :3
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - my daughter has just been diagnosed with very low iron, so this is helpful.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Also another note for iron: if you consume it with calcium your body doesn't absorb it as well. Your body absorbs it better from animal products (heme iron) than plant products (non-heme iron). Consuming it with vitamin C helps maximize its absorption though! So honey bunches of oats, no milk, and a few red peppers should definitely do the trick!
  • Rari2017
    Options
    Hi hgycta, thanks I have not heard of Honey bunches of Oats, but they sound delicious, I will go hunting for them afterwork. :) and at 80% wow
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I try to have a serving of rice chex everyday. It has 50% iron for 1 cup. It's a great option for those peeps that are gluten free :)
    I second the dark chocolate. I try to save calories for a square a day. Green leafy veggies like spinach have a lot of iron too!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're basing that off of mfp reports, they don't properly track iron, a lot of the food entries dont include micronutrients.
  • Rari2017
    Options
    I am surprised at how much Iron there is in certain cereals.
    Yes Eudoxy trackin from mfp reports I now understand its possible not including all nutrients. Greatfull I ask the question now.
    Thank you all.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it freaked me out at first, too, mine said about 10%.
  • natashka4324
    natashka4324 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken liver is the best. Beans and lentil.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Red meat isn't the devil. Just make sure it's lean.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    Honey bunches of oats has 80% iron for 1 cup (160 calories), and is amazing if you throw it in a ziploc bag as a snack to munch on when you're on the go :3

Great tip on the Honey Bunches of Oats, I never knew that. Just looked up the info and not only is there a good variety of flavors, the basic Honey Roasted (3/4 cup serving size) only has 120 calories per serving, and 60% daily iron. Other flavors have less iron, so worth checking the NI on the boxes.

I've been avoiding boxed cereals because of the calories (I'm on 1200/daily) but this would be well worth it.
  • khokhita_92
    Options
    fruits rich in vit.C can increase absorption of iron from not animals food

• ElleBellBell
    ElleBellBell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have emailed MFP to ask to increase number of nutrients we can track and see on daily food diary. It is simple: They can just add more boxes to input our choices of nutrients to track on this "Settings" page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    For people who are pre-diabetic, or have anemia or reduced kidney function, and many other disease conditions, tracking *all important nutrients* is vital.
    But MFP never does it and don't take it seriously.
    To Everybody who wants this *choice*, please email MFP under the "Help" tab and request option to track more nutrients. Thanks.