anyone else knew what they were doing before joining MFP?

Options
2»

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well, I had previously lost about 50 lbs through generally healthy/"clean" eating/following the food plate, and I specialize in eating disorder and obesity treatment, so I had a pretty good amount of knowledge about the factors that make up a healthy, balanced diet and weight loss. However, I had a real prejudice against calorie counting, and it was very illuminating to see that rather than a source of obsessionality and disorder (which of course I would see in ED patients), for me it was actually very freeing and allowed me to lose weight more effectively and with more flexible eating.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Back in 1998 I had lost 50 pounds but I never wrote down what I ate or how much. I just started eating less and moving more. When I joined MFP in 2011 after the weight came back I had an idea about what I needed to do but I made the mistake of trying to out exercise a bad diet (noun). I think I lasted about two weeks and quit. I know better and understand things a lot better now after reading the forums when I came back.
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what I was doing before mfp. I had heard of counting calories but thought it sounded incredibly tedious and difficult. I tried all kinds of fads and gimmicks with no luck and even started to believe that I'm meant to be fat forever. Now I feel like an idiot because it's not hard, and it works! I've been at this for a month now and have lost 12 pounds!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I half knew. I was just looking for a place to log it all and not pay for for it. Found MFP and it happened to have a better atmosphere then sparkpeople and better user-interface and database for food logging. I've actually learned a lot more then I thought I would ever know since joining.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Similar! I had a tiny little notebook I carried around with me and wrote down what I ate and the calories (which were googled). Different page each day. I didn't think to weigh out anything so I'm sure my estimates were way off. My goal was 1200 because that's what I "heard" you should eat when "on a diet". If I would eat over 1200 I would draw a sad face at the top of the page. So yeah, my weight was going up and down forever until I learned (when I found MFP) that I can eat enough to not feel like I can't do this for more than a month and still lose weight.
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about counting calories. I started dieting, eating veg and chicken and such and I was looking for an app to track my weight and stumbled luckily upon MFP.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    NOTHING ever worked for me - except MFP;

73641431.png

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Honestly I didn't think it was possible for me to lose weight before MFP. I had always been overweight/obese and didn't think it would ever change. Then I started wanting to have kids, and realized that I would have to do something if I wanted to have healthy pregnancies and not let my weight get totally out of control.

My first step was exercise and then finding/using MFP. I quickly realized that for my whole life, I had completely underestimated how many calories are in restaurant meals. From there, I've made some pretty significant progress.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yep, I knew what I was doing. I was raised by a nurse and I've taken health, fitness, and nutrition classes.

I've also done "this" a few times before with other programs and on my own. First time with another program was with Fit Day back in 2006 or so. I tracked everything for 3 weeks, then stopped tracking because it was such a pain, however, the 3 weeks was enough to readjust my eating. And I lost 5 or 10 lbs ... just enough to get me back into the middle of the "normal" range again.

Around about that time I was taking a kinesiology class and they gave us another program to track things. It focused more on nutrients than Fit Day did.

I tracked for a little while in 2008 ... just before my wedding, and dropped a bit, again, enough to get me into the middle of the "normal" range again.

Then in about 2011, I tracked things with both Fit Day and Daily Plate ... didn't really find either of them very convenient and had to keep checking with Nutrition Data to be sure. I tracked for 3 weeks again, but again the 3 weeks was enough to readjust my eating. I lost 13 lb in 13 weeks ... back into the "normal" range.

On and off periodically, I have used Nutrition Data to get an idea of what I'm eating. Back when I started using that, it was to track my electrolyte consumption for long distance cycling and to find calorie rich foods. Now it is to look for lower calorie foods.

And now, I've been with MFP for 38 days ... and I've lost about 13 lbs. :) I'm really close to the "normal" range again.
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No, I never did this on paper. I think I bought a weight watchers dairy once and never wrote a thing in it.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I counted calories when I was in college with a food scale, notebook and Google. I lost 50 lbs then, but was also suffering from severe depressionat the time. After getting help, I gained back 30 lbs. (Food actually tasted good.) I initially put off using MFP because of the negative psychological associations I had with calorie counting. I'm really glad I gave it a shot again!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting has always been my jam when I've tried to lose weight. I never weighed food. That's been a fairly recent addition. But I measured and I looked up calorie info. I even bought a calorie counting book. And I kept track and did all the math myself. It worked for me too. MFP just makes it easier.

The thing MFP has introduced me to is macros.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The thing MFP has introduced me to is macros.

Yes, probably the biggest thing for me was how i didnt have to work on numbers and do the math myself to know where im at with my macros.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I knew and understood the concepts but MFP is a tool that makes the process easy.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I spent two and a half weeks "watching what I ate"...and I gained two pounds