Too much protein?

Stephinow
Stephinow Posts: 273
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
I've read that to maximize weight loss one should eat protein in every meal, including snacks, so I've tried to incorporate that today. But MFP only gave me a protein allowance of 51, and I am over that amount by 25 today. So is there a such thing as too much protein?

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Not really. Unless you have kidney problems, protein is very helpful in losing weight. I changed my macros to 40/40/20. I usually get around 150 to 200 grams per day now.
  • Stephinow
    Okay, that's good to know. Thanks, dave4d!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Well, in order to get the best answer about nutrition, I'd talk to someone who knows. I'm not that person.

I'd talk to a doctor or nutritionist.

It is probably quite true that you should try to balance your meals, and of course you want to stay in your goals, but maybe you need to reduce the protein and fat in each meal so you can hit your target.

I find that if I eat small amounts of cooked chicken or fish in my snacks, for example, that I get what I think is a balanced approach, but I don't fuss if a snack has no protein. I've never had a problem with not enough protein by the end of the day. I have a huge problem with too much sodium and fat, so I aim for low fat proteins, such as home-cooked chicken and fish. (Canned or processed meats are high in sodium.)

But really, I encourage you to get the skinny (so to speak) from a professional who is trained in nutrition, and not just rely upon opinions you read. There are very wise words on this board, and also some - well, unfortunate claims.

The goal is to eat healthy and get exercise, and there are lots of things you can do for both.

Good luck.
  • I'm over my protein for the day as well...but I'd much rather be over on protein than fat. (Trying to focus on an all around balanced diet vs low carb or low fat. But I am putting a little emphasis on watching the fat that I consume.)
  • Stephinow
    Thanks, Mtsidad. And boy, do I wish I had access to a professional nutritionist or dietician to give me individualized advice. Unfortunately, I have to rely on my research and advice (with a grain of salt) from others trying to do the same thing I'm trying to do. I am okay when it comes to my fat intake, but I just started really consistently working out a month ago, so now I'm learning more about protein and more conscious of my protein intake. Thanks for your help :)
  • Stephinow
    I'm over my protein for the day as well...but I'd much rather be over on protein than fat. (Trying to focus on an all around balanced diet vs low carb or low fat. But I am putting a little emphasis on watching the fat that I consume.)

Yeah, I'm also trying to focus on a balanced diet because there are healthy carbs and healthy fat that we need in our diet.
This discussion has been closed.