Logging activities that aren't listed in Exercises

Options
I'm doing a lot of garden and yard renovation which includes roto-tilling, shoveling dirt to level out planting area, building raised beds, laying 33lb paver blocks, etc. When I use my Garmin VivoSmart w/HRM to track the activity it always imports as Running into MFP, which can't be changed in MFP. However, if I enter it manually, my only options are "Gardening or Other", which really don't reflect the amount of exertion I'm doing. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jakbreckon
    jakbreckon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you log into Garmin connect you can edit the type of activity, but I'm not sure if it changes the calories burned since it figures that with your heart rate.
  • slose071
    slose071 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this, as well. Some housework I do is very strenuous and tiring and I sweat more than I do whenI excercise..and so tired afterwards I may not wanto excercise!. I know once the snow melts and Spring really begins here, ill also be doing some yard work and gardening
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can edit the activity on my iPad in the app or online but it still registerest as "Running" in MFP. believe me, I'm not a runner! I guess it's a S&C glitch in MFP. Of well, I know what my exertion level is. I just don't want to mislead other followers as to my activities.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was wondering on this too. Even when I am walking it logs me as running. I have been trying to get my step length right and have been challenged. First it was not logging enough now it is saying I have went further than I have. I readjusted this morning and will try it at lunch to see how close I have it now. I just don't want to overestimate the calories or steps I am getting in. I love how we are all accountable and do not want to mislead the other followers :) It makes me feel guilty if it says I did more than I did.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Another little annoyance in the stepper band(s) is that if your arm isn't swinging, it doesn't recognize the movement! I spend a whole rainy day pre-cooking meals in a very small kitchen. Was on my feet most of the day moving back and forth between counters, stove, refridge, cabinets, etc, and it hardly registered any steps because I was usually hold items and not swinging my arms. My VivoSmart try's to help me by reminding me to Move after a period of inactivity, but when it does it right after I sit down from spending 30 mins on my feet in the kitchen, it's a bit discouraging because I know it didn't record my small steps. Oh well, when I'm working in the garden, it thinks that swinging my arms raking & hoeing are steps! I guess it averages out at the end of the day/week?