I hate water & have no time for exercise...HELP!

Options
I need some advice/encouragement/motivation from you expert MFPs! :wink:

First: I hate water! :grumble: Unless I'm seriously parched from some sort of exercise (which RARELY happens....see below) I just would much rather have a diet coke. I love the sweet carbonated burn!!!! :laugh: I know its important....but I need someone to tell me just how stupid I'm being by not drinking enough water....lol.

Second: I have nooooooo time for exercise. None. I'm so maxed out at work that I rarely get a lunch break. :frown: AND I'm a single mom thats doing the 3-kid boogie almost every moment I'm not working. If it weren't for my wonderful boyfriend, I'd probably never even fit in a shower...blech. I own a healthrider but I can never seem to make the time to get my butt on it!

Replies

• jwinfield
    jwinfield Posts: 42 Member
    Options

First: I hate water! :grumble: Unless I'm seriously parched from some sort of exercise (which RARELY happens....see below) I just would much rather have a diet coke. I love the sweet carbonated burn!!!! :laugh: I know its important....but I need someone to tell me just how stupid I'm being by not drinking enough water....lol.

Second: I have nooooooo time for exercise. None. I'm so maxed out at work that I rarely get a lunch break. :frown: AND I'm a single mom thats doing the 3-kid boogie almost every moment I'm not working. If it weren't for my wonderful boyfriend, I'd probably never even fit in a shower...blech. I own a healthrider but I can never seem to make the time to get my butt on it!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Put Crystal Lite in the water. I hate water too - and I used to be an avid soda drinker, but CL really helped, now I can easily down my 8 cups a day plus more.

Whether or not you can make time to exercise kind of depends on how old your kids are. If they are all 3+ then there are a lot of good fitness tapes out there - some with 10 - 20 minute workouts. Every little bit is better than nothing!

If your kids are a little younger, involve them in your workout. I have a 15 month old, and I do my pilates with him. Some of the exercises may not come out quite right because he is in my way/in my arms etc - but I'm still getting a workout and not skimping on my time with him. :flowerforyou:

You really have it rough, single-mommying at any time is hard, so I admire you for just making any effort at all! :drinker:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i went from coke to diet coke to water, it can be done, i would never drink coke now, and only have diet coke on the odd occasion

you can do it!

i hate exercise, but feel fab when i do it, 5 mins on my cross trainer is better than nothing, although i try to do my 30 mins 3-4 times a week, when i get motivated!

you will get there, stick with it :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...

Drink water, it's good for you. Doesn't matter if you like it or not.
    I do whatever I can to get as much into me as possible in a day.

Exercise.... it's good for you, whether you like it or have time for it or not.
    I totally understand, single mom (only of one though), was a full time student (now full time teacher....who commutes an hour to work).... The point is you actually have to SET ASIDE TIME to work out. We're all busy and usually the first thing to get avoided is working out.

I can't tell you what to do. That's your call.
    You just have to figure out what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

:flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Take a bottle of water with you every time you get in the car. It will magically disappear by the time you get to your destination. I agree with the Crystal Lite idea. Although I find those single serving things too strong for a bottle of water. I only use 1/2 of the packet. I like water so I only use the Crystal Lite on occasion, but that might be a nice way to wean yourself on to water. Just gradually use less Crystal Lite.

Also if you're a single mom maybe if you concerned yourself with making sure your kids are moving, you'd be more active too. You don't say how old they are, but putting on some music and dancing around the living room is a ton of fun. Be imaginative and work for progress, not perfection.
  • jwinfield
    Options
    Hmmm...

Drink water, it's good for you. Doesn't matter if you like it or not.
    I do whatever I can to get as much into me as possible in a day.

Exercise.... it's good for you, whether you like it or have time for it or not.
    I totally understand, single mom (only of one though), was a full time student (now full time teacher....who commutes an hour to work).... The point is you actually have to SET ASIDE TIME to work out. We're all busy and usually the first thing to get avoided is working out.

I can't tell you what to do. That's your call.
    You just have to figure out what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

:flowerforyou:

Thanks! I appreciate the cold hard truth of your reply. :happy:
  • jwinfield
    Options
    These are all really good suggestions. Thanks so much! I'm off to get some CL packets and taking a bottle of water with me. (Maybe I'll even park at the far end of the grocery store parking lot:wink: )
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The most straight-forward and honest advice?

Suck it up!

Haha, just kidding. But yeah, there's no miracle fix. You need water and exercise. Put a couple slices of lemon in your water and maybe sprinkle a tiny bit of Splenda or stevia. Instant lemony flavor!

Ouch, 3 kids? Well, if you have time that you spend with them, turn it into exercise! Play tag, roughhouse, challenge them to a race. Kids love to please and to prove they rock, so kindling their competitive nature is easy.

Good luck! MFP is a great place for suggestions and advice. Everyone's friendly and super "weight loss in a practical life"-savvy.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Can you fit some exercise when they are sleeping? If not I agree to dance,tag, hide and seek anything to get your heart and hiney moving:laugh:
    Start drinking that water I bet within a month you won't know how you lived without it:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has pretty much covered why it's so important to drink the water and get exercise. I just figured I'd add that I started out about the same weight as you did, but am now over 40 pounds less!
    Let me tell you that it FEELS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT!
    For exercise, I walk outside, weather permitting, or dance in my living room to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up for me of all my favorite oldies. It's fun, doesn't depend on the weather, and I can also watch tv, so I'm never bored.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I agree! Dance around your living room, let the kids run through the house with you chasing them, give them piggy-back rides through the house, etc. Im sure you'll be sweating in no time!:happy: Also, you could try getting up about an hour before the kids do to get some exercise in and just to have a little quiet mommy-time to yourself. I personally LOVE getting up before the rest of the house does, kind of lets me get my head and thoughts together before the hustle and bustle starts:laugh: The main thing to remember is that YOU ARE WORTH it and if its worth it to you, you will find the time to make it happen for yourself:happy:
    Good luck to you!:drinker: WE CAN ALL do this!!:drinker:
    ~Roni
  • modelgirl
    Options
    hello
    try crystal water fav. in the water. I also like to drink really cold water out of a bottle it keeps me from feeling sick. I am also a single mom with a soon to be three year old. I have a work out dvd with 10 min. workouts I do right after I put her to bed. but if you do not have time to do all of the dvd you can do one or two workouts better than nothing good luck single moms need to sick togather
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    For me, water and exercise are essential.

I hate water too.... so boring! But on the days that I do get the water into my body I feel better and it shows up on the scale. The first day I really pushed myself I saw four pounds come off the scale the next couple of days. Four pounds = totally worth it!

As for exercise, you gotta find the time! I don't think I can really lose without it. And if I could, my body wouldn't thank me for not including strength training in the process. I really feel/lose so much better when I get to the gym.

Can you find a gym with a playroom for kids? It is a great way to get a mini vacation from the little ones AND take care of yourself. You can always do a little after they head to bed. Shoot for a half an hour three times a week. Or maybe 15 minutes? Anything is better than nothing! Or take them all out for a walk. Get the little ones in a stroller and you get arm exercises in there too!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Hey there welcome, glad you posted:bigsmile:

I agree with DjBliss.....very essential... I think once you create time for both (and yes, planning DOES take work)....you'll never look back. Making time for yourself will become precious...guard it with your heart ....truly it's the best to have time for YOU, and soooooooo very important to be able to be there for everyone else which it sounds like you have lots of folks depending on you.

It reduces stress....relaxes you so you can sleep well, creates within you a positive place where you can feel proud you did it .........water, well what can I say....it just is plain absolutely essential to good health. Great for the skin, keeps the body hydrated, gotta gotta gotta drink drink drink drink:drinker: :heart: :drinker:

Keep us in touch with how it goes.....we're always glad to help out and hear success stories:flowerforyou:
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I think people like you who juggle work and kids are super-heros! And it's awesome that you want to be healthy while you're at it.

I work a killer schedule too and wanted to suggest... do you use a day planner? I have to because there are so many things to remember. Anyway - put down a couple of 1 and a half hour times during the week, into the planner, and label then somehting other than "gym" or "exercize"... label it "fitness session" or "health appointment". And then treat it like every other thing on your calendar that must get done. Never look in the calendar when you're trying to schedule somehting new, and say "oh that isn't a real appointment - I can use that time."

I hope you work it out. Best wishes!