Alternative to potato chips

Options

Replies

• ChrisMarie118
    Options
    I love chips, if I need a chip fix I have Veggie Straws, they are much better for you than chips and I believe the serving size is 38... many times if I'm having a sandwich for lunch I'll pair it with a 1/2 serving of veggie straws. Make sure to portion out your snacks and put a serving in a seperate sandwich bag, if not its too hard to keep count and not eat over a serving.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I snack on almonds or sunflower seeds. Sa;ty, crunchy and better nutrition than the chips. Still not very low cal though....
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Since we have cut back on our salt intake, we now get the new Lays' Lightly Salted with 50% less sodium. Still the salty crunchy taste, but with half the sodium.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I found a bag of "veggie straws" at wal-mart in the chip aisle. Taste like a mixture between french fries and potato chips :)
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Carrot Chips, it takes a few bites to get used to them, but they've helped me.

Although, YES there are times when I really want a potato chip, and if it's one of those days (which as I've gone along, have become less and less, thank heaven) I'll just buy my old favorite Kettle Chips, but in the small package, you know the ones that come in the tiny bags.. that way you can't overeat.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    This sounded kind of nasty to me but I tried it and I LOVE it!!!

Preheat oven to 325.
    Kut up some kale into 'chip' size pieces.
    Toss with a little olive oil.
    Place on a baking sheet.
    Sprinkle with sea salt.
    Bake until crispy.

A whole sheet of these guys has like 70 calories and tons of vitamin A. And they're crispy like potato chips with a little salty going on. If you like salt and vinegar chips, you can spray a little vingar on them too.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have 100 calorie smart pop, popcorn.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Special K Cracker chips, Pop Chips, Vegetable baked chips, or raw baby carrots. :smile:

I love baby carrots, but not a viable alternative to chips,lol. The Special K chips are AMAZING! You'll love these.
  • ruthcooper
    ruthcooper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods 365 Veggie Straws....addictive. 40 (FORTY!) straws is only 130 calories, 0.5 sat fat, 280 mg sodium
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    hmmm potato chips are like smoking... the only way i control myself is cold turkey quit... lol

I know you have gotten several good suggestions here.. one thing i like is to buy mini bags... of course for me... i'll just eat more than one bag... so i just quit chips... it's just not even an option for me... I try to omit carbs as much as possible to only 20% of daily intake

Do what feels best for you.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    This sounded kind of nasty to me but I tried it and I LOVE it!!!

Preheat oven to 325.
    Kut up some kale into 'chip' size pieces.
    Toss with a little olive oil.
    Place on a baking sheet.
    Sprinkle with sea salt.
    Bake until crispy.

sounds AMAZING

A whole sheet of these guys has like 70 calories and tons of vitamin A. And they're crispy like potato chips with a little salty going on. If you like salt and vinegar chips, you can spray a little vingar on them too.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I like Special K Cracker Chips (2 flavors Sea Salt or Sour Cream *about 28-30 chips per serving), Snikiddy Fries (5 or 6 varieties -- cheddar cheese is my favorite), and Sensible Portions (veggie straws or apple cinnamon straws --38 straws per serving)
  • chrrylpstck
    Options
    I love the aged white cheddar popcorn by either smartfood or indiana (you can find it at Walmart). It's delicious and only 150 calories for 2.5 cups.
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Use a mandolin to slice a sweet potato extra thin, on cookie sheet cook at about 325 for 15 mins be sure to check every few minutes and flip them mid way.
    Try to keep them the same width so they cook at the same rate. You could put salt on them before cooking but I don't
  • kim824
    kim824 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Homemade microwave potato chips. Fat free and any flavor you want in about 5 minutes. Search it on youtube. My hubby makes them almost every night. They can be bagged and save about a week once cooled. YUM!
  • sweetpea9784
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! Some of these things I have never even heard of, but I will definitely be on the lookout on my next trip to the grocery store!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Rice crackers.

About 70 calories for 20.

Super salty (with Kelp, not salt) thin like potato chips. Just seem a little more natural than the name brand substitutes.

There are also riceworks chips. Higher in calories, but lots of flavors.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The only addition I can make to all of these great options is Rold Gold Everything Bagel pretzels. They are awesome!
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Synder's Veggie Straws or home-made kale chips or spinach chips. Put them on a cookie sheet, brush on olive oil and seasonings. Bake them in the oven until they are crunchy....about 5 to 10 minutes depending on the oven.

OH - veggie straws...those things are delicious!! The taste kinda reminds me of french fries...but crunchy and better for you....
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options
    The Special K sour creme and onion chips are AMAZING...27 chips per serving and if memory serves me right...110 caleries...good luck~Chase

^^^^^^^