Can't drop these last 10lbs!!!!

Options
I've lost a total of 26lbs since this time last yr. I go to the gym 5 days a week and do all sorts of workouts like cardio, total body conditioning & running. The weight came off easily before but now I seem to be stuck and can't drop these last 10lbs. I know I've gained muscle, I drink a ton of water and I'm pretty strict about my eating and occasionally cheat but I always have and still lost the weight. I worked out extra hard this week, cut my calories down and actually felt dizzy for a day so I did eat a bit more thinking I wasn't doing my body any favors. Any suggestions of what I can be doing better or what I may be doing wrong?

Replies

• SrClaire
    SrClaire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to switch things up.

Change what you do in the gym. Do things you haven't done before and stay away from stuff you've done a lot of in the past - your body has adapted to that and has learnt to be efficient with it's energy, so shock it by giving it something new to cope with. Heavy lifting is always good, x-fit style workouts are good too, a martial arts class, anything you haven't tried before. Most bodybuilders/fitness models/bikini models, and all the personal trainers I know, will tell you to change your exercise programme every 4 weeks.

Then diet wise, change this up too. Try a different eating plan or different foods or different approach (paleo, high fat/low carb, intermittent fasting, anything that's different and will force your body to adjust/adapt) because your body has adapted to whatever you are eating at the moment.

It's not just about calories in/calories out unfortunately. Our bodies will outsmart that approach every time. It's called metabolic adaptation and it's a total jerk.
  • twinsbabyweight
    twinsbabyweight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what amount of calories your eating vs burning. It may be that you're not eating enough & your body is holding onto that last bit of fat for fuel. It stinks to get to a plateau. Don't give up. The last bit is the hardest!
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on the macronutrients you are eatting and their percentages. There is a chance that you are eatting more carbs than protein. You should keep your calories only at a 500 calorie deficit (1 pound per week setting) and shoot for 40 % carbs, 40 % protein and 20 % fat. This keeps your energy up while keeping the muscle that you have. Body fat % also plays a role so if you can figure that out as well. Hope this helps!