WHAT THE HECK

Options
I have been working out all week. started the week at 264 and today i weighted 266....I have been working out everyday and staying under my calorie goal....i dont get it....yesterday i ran 3 miles in 46 min (i am training for a 5k).....i dont understand why me working out like that last night would cause me to gain 2 lbs....something doesnt seem right. a bit discouraged right now :(

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Muscles retain water while healing, also what did you eat this week? anything high in sodium?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention-just keep doing what you're doing and it will come.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Muscles retain water while healing, also what did you eat this week? anything high in sodium?
    +1

• JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ^^What they said. Also, are you sure you have the right calorie goal set?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging everything you eat/drink? Do you hit your calorie goal? If yes to both, it's not fat. Probably just water form the run. 2 lbs is nothing. Body weight will fluctuate several lbs per day for no apparent reason. Weigh every day and check for yourself.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I got back to running a couple weeks back. The morning after my first run, I was up 4 lbs on the scale. I had a fantastic day nutritionally on top of that. Over the course of the next few days those 4 and one more went away.

It's just retained water from the shock/stress of a new workout.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Focus on being and living healthier, not about the number on the scale. if you are doing things right they will eventually drop. If you focus too much on it you WILL get discouraged and you will quit.
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i was right at my sodium limits every day....i would think jogging like that would cause a weight loss
  • Supermom883
    Options
    thanks everyone...just got really discouraged....i will continue on this path and keep doing what i am doing
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i was right at my sodium limits every day....i would think jogging like that would cause a weight loss

Your weight fluctuates. Get used to it and if it's going to distress you then you are in for a lot of pain and suffering. If you are eating under your calorie burn you are losing weight.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone...just got really discouraged....i will continue on this path and keep doing what i am doing

Water weight from excess sodium usually takes one or two days at the most to go away. Water weight from exercise can take a week or more, depending on just how hard you worked your muscles. The good thing is that it only comes back, on a temporary basis, the next time you work your muscles more than you had been.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Probably gonna have to give it longer than a week.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 3 or 4 times a day, just for fun. I'm not large enough to lose body mass at a rate that the scale could detect on a daily basis, so it's just entertaining to watch the water weight swing around. So many data points makes it easy for me to pick a midpoint as my "MFP official" weight.
  • N8ilm
    N8ilm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cheer up focusmom! I had the exact same problem last week. Then this week the lbs started falling off again. My wonderful fiancee has been on a plan longer than me and said sometimes your weight sticks for a few days.
  • Supermom883
    Options
    N8ilm wrote: »
    Cheer up focusmom! I had the exact same problem last week. Then this week the lbs started falling off again. My wonderful fiancee has been on a plan longer than me and said sometimes your weight sticks for a few days.

Thanks :) i will stay positive...i was just amazing i could jog/walk 3 miles in 46 mins i would run 7 min then walk 2 min. the whole 46 min. i need to focus on that success more than the weight.