Runner's Success?

Options
Kelll12123
Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
I started taking running pretty seriously about a month and a half ago as I began training for a half marathon this summer. I'm already noticing some changes in my body and I'm really excited about it.
I'm interested in seeing (and hearing about) success from other runners for motivation. GO!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I like having really shapely legs, running has certainly been what gave me those as well as an overall lean-ness :smile:

Keep up the great work!
  • starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've done a few 5ks in the last 6 months, and this week I've started training for a 10k. I've noticed that my endurance has improved in running and cross training workouts, that I really look forward to running now like it's a privilege instead of a chore, and my husband has said the running and lifting has made my body look more lean and tight. I'm still far off from my weight loss goals, but my body is changing, and close are fitting better now!
  • ajanegaudet
    ajanegaudet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a full marathon in Spring and I've lost 11 lbs since January. I'm only half way through my training so I'm hoping to lose more in my stomach and butt and hopefully 10 more lbs!
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, not a success story here, but a question...did you do train for 5K's and 10K's and then decide to go for half marathon, or are you just going big or going home?

I started running in January, and could only run 10 minutes at a time, but now as of last week I ran 53 minutes non-stop. I run slow, but still, pretty exciting!

I still have some lbs to lose, so maybe that will make me faster!
  • ajanegaudet
    ajanegaudet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Last year I ran for 10 mins and I felt absolutely winded. I ran 900 yards. I then tried just running 1km each time for a week. The next week I increased it to 2km then 3. I started to really up my mileage when I hit 10km and made jumps from 10 to 14. I ran a half marathon in October in 2:39. I used to be a seasoned runner but got out of it for 2 years and basically had to start from scratch in March 2014.
  • Kelll12123
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank so much everyone! I love these stories. I ran a 5k last summer when I was about 40 pounds heavier than I am now and less serious about running (I did it because my friends were doing it). I guess you could say I chose the "go big or go home route" because I'm not really training for a 5k or 10k, just the half marathon. I'll probably run a few smaller races this summer before the half marathon, but those are just for fun, not for my goal.

Right now, I'm up to eight miles at a time. I run 4-5 times a week with varied distances and average 9 minute miles. I used the elliptical all winter, but that was mostly to burn calories. Running has made me feel really in shape! In the last month and a half, I've lost almost five pounds, but I can definitely see a difference (I'll post photos in the next post).
  • Kelll12123
    Options
    a4iex52dv2iw.jpg

My stomach has always been my problem area, and I think running makes a difference!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @kelll12123 wow impressive! your pace is great, I just can't get mine above 5.2mph when I'm doing 5 - 6 mile runs, endurance is something I'm working on. I started over a year ago so progress is slow with me, I seem to get injuries if I push myself harder or for longer.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I started running a year ago irregularly. I started training for a half marathon in mid-January. When I started last March, I couldn't run more than a few minutes at a time and my run/walk was probably around 3.5 mph (17 minute mile). These days I can run for over an hour straight at about 5.2 mph (11.5 minute mile), and I'm up to 7 mile long runs. My goal by the time of my half is to average around a 10 minute mile, but I'll be happy just to finish it! :)

It's definitely changed my body quite a bit. I'm definitely leaner overall and my legs appear more muscular. My balance is better and I think I'm a little less clumsy because of that.
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    just starting to run...i can fun 3 miles in 46 mins. I run for 7min at 4.0-4.2 then walk 2 mins at a 3.5 for the life of be i cant run any faster than that....i also am still heavy at 266 so hopefully i can get all that done by the time of my first 5k in june
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    When I'm not drinking too much beer or eating too much food it does help burn off extra calories. Mostly I love it because my endurance is through the roof now. I can finally keep up with my brother on those hiking trips in Colorado. He lives there so he's cheating.
  • danacalder1
    danacalder1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running in August 2014. It was a very slow run/walk. I've built up to running a 3-4.5 miles non stop. My pace varies right now between 11:30 to 12:30. I signed up for a half marathon in October. That high after the 5K got me pumped. I'm going to sign up for other 5Ks and 10Ks in between while I train. I love the way my legs have gotten lean and my thighs have muscle. My balance is so much better.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started running about six months into my weight loss journey after I built up some endurance on the elliptical. I started out doing a few minutes at a time and now do up to 7.5 miles at a time and run 20-30 miles a week. I haven't done many races though just because I don't have anyone to do them with. I love that I get more calories each day and I love the feeling of accomplishment when I beat my old PR.
  • Kelll12123
    Options
    ShellF415 wrote: »
    I started running about six months into my weight loss journey after I built up some endurance on the elliptical. I started out doing a few minutes at a time and now do up to 7.5 miles at a time and run 20-30 miles a week. I haven't done many races though just because I don't have anyone to do them with. I love that I get more calories each day and I love the feeling of accomplishment when I beat my old PR.

How long did it take you to get up to 7.5 miles?
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    When I was knocking on the door of 200lbs and finally decided to make a change I started by running a daily 5k and cutting out snacking at work. Didn't matter how long it took to finish or if I had to stop and walk. I'd complete the 5k every day. After a few weeks I didn't have to walk and after a couple months I cut my time by 10 minutes (down around 21 minutes or so).
    I eventually dropped down to 153 which was only 5 pounds off my high school weight. I completed a marathon last October and since then I've been weightlifting and putting weight back on but in a good way. :)
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Running is good but try to mix in some weight training if you aren't already. I grew to love running back when I started my fitness journey but I got injured in December so I had to do less of it. Running is good for burning calories and fat in the short term but weight training will burn more fat outside the gym and besides, you will look and feel great when you begin to tone from weight training but like you, I want to do a marathon at some point.
  • cranden
    cranden Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just be careful not to over-estimate how much you're running and use it as an excuse to eat "treat" aka "crapola". Its a great exercise but dont forget to cross train! 5K's are addictive!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I began running about 4 months into my lifestyle change with visions of high school cross country running through my head….turns out I couldn't even run a 1/4 mile (and that was excruciatingly painful). C25K and C210K and a few races and then running with my dog pre-dawn and now I run 5 - 8 miles on a regular basis. I lift weights and do some other cross training but running is my go to exercise. Just about to reach the 1800 mile mark which tells me on cold, snowy, winter mornings that I am really running somewhere in the Florida Keys about now ;) Run strong!
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started running September 2014 doing a C25k and running my first 5k in November 2014. In January 2015 I started training for a 10k I have signed up for in May. It's been a little slow getting past 3 miles for me bc of some slight injuries. My first 5k time was 39:20 and now it's 34 min. My longest run so far has been 4.5 miles... And with my time improving I'm usually between 10-11 min mile. It's been a real challenge learning to run but omgoodness I just love the accomplishment of actually running!! Haha I can say im a runner, and I can actually run. It has helped me lose almost 50lbs... And has helped me like the shape of my legs, my thighs in particular. They are still big mind you but have better shape.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm down 47 pounds since starting couch to 5 k about 8 months ago. I run about 20 miles a week now. I'm thinking about gearing up for a half marathon now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!