Have you Ever Had a Brain Tumor???

Options
2»

Replies

• Chrissytinaz
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I needed to hear this. My sister had one type of cancer lobular,. something like that. She did chemo, radiation, had a mastectomy and now she has brain tumors. They haven't done surgery for the brain tumors but she did radiation to shrink them. Still waiting to hear if they are gone away. IDK. Definitely a scary thing to go through. It broke my heart to hear her tell me, she was afraid to fall asleep cause she might not wake up. Okay I'm going to stop before the tears start. I'm so glad you're around to tell us how you beat it!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, especially those of you that shared your own experience or that of a loved one. I know that I was very lucky and many, many people are not as fortunate with their diagnosis.

Cancer sucks, tumors suck.......God bless to anyone that has gone through or is dealing with it now. My thoughts are with you and I wish you the best.
  • duncandog1957
    Options
    I had a brain tumor as my daughter (tigger228) mentioned already. You're right, it is a scary thing to go through but I had my family and the faith in God that kept me going. I was in the hospital 5 days before the surgery for test then another week after the surgery. I have to take seizure medicine for the rest of my life but still have seizures at times. My doctor thought he was going to have to perform 2 surgeries because the tumor was so big. He said it was the second largest tumor that he operated on. They all said at the hospital that I was a miracle but I say it was faith. Glad you made it through ok also.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Raises hand. One year ago this week I had a 1.6x1.9 acoustic neuroma/vestibular schwannoma removed (left retrosigmoid craniotomy, for those who like the fancy words). Recovery was tough, but I am one of the lucky ones. I can still drive, work, laugh, knit, exercise--I lost my hearing on that side, but I had no facial paralysis. PM me if you want to know more, if you have questions, etc. Also, there are two wonderful groups on FB: Acoustic Neuroma Association and Acoustic Neuroma/Vestibular Schwannoma. I found it when I was still doing watch & wait and trying to decide between surgery and Gamma Knife/ Cyber Knife.

There is life after brain surgery! :happy:
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Cool you beat it, but the problem is their are multiple forms of brain tumors... My mom had a stage four (the highest), that was named Glioblastoma Multiforme, she didn't make it.:cry: Last year on June 11th, she took her last breath in this world. So, forgive me if I am not jumping...

Sorry...

Agreed. True, it's not always a death sentence...but sometimes it is. And it's a terrible thing to watch. Congrats to you for beating it! :smile: Seriously, you are blessed. But this isn't an easy topic for some...
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I recently had my own scare, but the MRI showed a healthy brain. I am overjoyed at how many of you beat brain cancer. That's amazing! To the loved ones who didn't survive, I am so sorry for your losses.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My cousin had a brain tumor. It was benign, but unfortunately, her pituitary gland had to be removed, and she was only left with the stem. She has to take steroids to regulate body function, and as a result, she gained an immense amount of weight. She has had gastric bypass and can barely eat anything now, but was only able to lose half the weight she gained. She is still trying to lose. Yes, I told her about MFP, but she didn't take to this program. I pray for her all the time, but I also know that I am truly blessed that she has survived. Doctors did not give her more than 10 years to live. It's been 17 years since her surgery! :drinker:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    HI,

To those of you who had a tumor. What did it feel like?
  • maggie2731
    Options
    I'm, glad u beat it. I have lost my grandmother, father, 2 uncles, an aunt, and cousin to lung cancer. and my friends daughter who turned 22 last thursday just lost the battle on sunday night. She beat it 7 years ago and about a month ago it came back with a vengence. It breaks my heart as my daughter is only 19 and they were friends.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ((((HUGS)))) Beef!! Love ya friend! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Cool you beat it, but the problem is their are multiple forms of brain tumors... My mom had a stage four (the highest), that was named Glioblastoma Multiforme, she didn't make it.:cry: Last year on June 11th, she took her last breath in this world. So, forgive me if I am not jumping...

My 31 year old sister had a glioblastoma mutiforme and was given 6 months to a year to live when she was diagnosed. That was 12 years ago! She suffered a stroke last summer and is in a nursing home now. She's got demetia and a multitude of other problems now because of the damage caused by radiation, and we don't expect her to live much longer. However, we are so grateful for the years we've had with her since the surgery.

Praying for all affected by brain cancer.
  • arcona
    arcona Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spicy618, usually you don't feel it. Depending on where it is determines if you have any symptoms. Usually brain tumors are found when you have an MRI for something else, i.e. hearing problem, double vision, seizure, etc.
  • toothinspector79
    toothinspector79 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's great!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My mom had a meningioma in 2007. Scariest time of my entire life but thankfully she's fine now and back to her old self! :)
  • kangakev
    kangakev Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If I was given another brain it would be lonely :#
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I recently had my own scare, but the MRI showed a healthy brain. I am overjoyed at how many of you beat brain cancer. That's amazing! To the loved ones who didn't survive, I am so sorry for your losses.

Okay, this is really starting to get to me, and I need to clarify some things for you. There is an ENORMOUS difference between a "benign" brain tumor (which is NOT brain cancer) and a "malignant" brain tumor (which is brain cancer). I have a cancerous brain tumor. It was 98% removed almost two years ago. That means they had to leave 2% of it still in there. That's almost a million tiny little cancerous cells are still in my brain, any of which could start growing again at any time. And my tumor is only a grade II. There are grade III and grade IV tumors as well, which grow much, much faster and kill people very quickly. Brain cancer doesn't go into "remission" the way other cancers in the body do. It hangs out in the brain and you hope it doesn't grow again,but it usually does. It is a death sentence, but in my case, it's just a longer one than the one given to a grade III or IV diagnosis. To have your life shortened to 5 or 10 years at the most is a scary thing. I do my best, living my life 6 months at a time between brain scans, hoping the next one will still be clear.
    I think anyone who lives through the scariest diagnosis of finding out there is a tumor in his or her brain, is a brave individual. Kudos to Beef and everyone else here who has dealt with either a benign or cancerous brain tumor.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    HI,

To those of you who had a tumor. What did it feel like?

It doesn't usually feel like anything. I found out about mine after I had a grand mal seizure at work. It's pretty rare that people have headaches or anything like that prior to diagnosis. Brain tumors have to be pretty big to put enough pressure on the inside of the skull to cause headaches, unless they are in a delicate place.