Weight loss tips for a Hypothyroid woman

Options
I'm 30, have been hypothyroid for 12 years, I've been up and down with weight, but I'm currently at my biggest, a 5'4 at 164 and taking 200mg of Levothyroxine daily. I was 171 around Christmas. Was able to lose some weight the past two months by calorie count the first month, and now on The Thyroid Diet Revolution by Mary Shamon and have lost 1 lb since Monday. I find it hard to find our make delicious low carb food for this diet. Plus, I easily get bloaded everyday after workout and by the end of the day. Watching sodium intake has helped a bit with that, but still bloating. Any others like me out there? Give me advice! Thanks ahead.

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid is treated it comes down to eat less, move more. Count calories and consume less than you burn. That's the secret.
  • lolamuscio
    lolamuscio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Are you working out ismarlo? Thats great you have lost some weight, but understand that you probably feel you should have lost more. Zedeff, i disagree with you. I have been on levothyroxine 50mcg for over a yr with reduced/ or no carbs and different kind of diets/ lifestyle changes and exercise, And straight for 6 months and only lost 6 lbs in during that time.
    Ismarlo do you want to try some workout/food partnership? I have been in a funk the last 5 weeks i need to get back on it.
    Ok,
    Lola
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is: you ate less and lost weight.

Thyroid disease or not, if you aren't losing weight it's because you are eating too much.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Get the levels right, first. Then exercise, I am finding I do best with not stressing my body too much (I just finished 21Day Fix, and am doing 21 Day Fix Extreme, I can do high intensity, but not for hours everyday). Sleep and manage overall stress. I also do best emphasizing protein and managing carbs-making sure the carbs count more highly from a nutrition standpoint...some good dark chocolate and fruit, no to the simple carbs like cupcakes, lol! For the water retention, I take a prescribed diuretic. My doc asked on my last levo dose increase if I wanted to try it or wait for the levo to take effect, and I went with it. It was only a few pounds of water, but it improved my breathing, and how I felt overall. It also helped me feel better mentally, it was just a mind game of carrying those extra pounds. He is pretty willing to do what I want, I am an RN and we have a long history together through cancer and all that fallout, so he trusts my judgement.

Zedeff, I think people just object because while it is true, the hypothyroidism can so screw with the calories out. The calories in portion becomes so low as to be unsustainable from a mental or physical perspective, people give up due to frustration and hunger.