Couch To 5K, has anyone done it?

Options
2»

Replies

• exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used C25K as a tool to get into running a couple years ago. I had a goal of completing a 5K. It worked great. I especially liked the features of the mobile app that chimes in over my music (or podcast or whatever) at the walk/run intervals. It takes the thinking out of it. The other posters here are right on about taking it slow. Don't push yourself too hard at the start. Just get into the routine.

Once you've completed the program, you can always go back to the beginning and use the tool as a way to increase speed. Jog slow during the "walk" intervals and speed up during the "run" intervals. But for sure, start out with your walk/run.

Good luck! Running is great fun.
  • momhealthac
    momhealthac Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear that this program has worked for so many of you. Hope to do a 5k in July. Just beginning and realize that I need new running shoes to begin this C5K. Will do this!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it. The first go round, I was on a treadmill and repeated all the weeks multiple times til I finally moved outside. It took me a LONG time (3 years!!) to finally run a 5k without stopping but I stopped and started several times. Last January was the first time I did the full 5k without walking; by June I was to ten miles on a long run until a hip injury from tri training put me off any exercise for 6+ months. Started C25k again this January and I'm back to 4+ mile runs! So go slow, repeat until you're comfortable and don't give up. Running is fun!
  • Elaicea73
    Elaicea73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been kind of interested in the program for a while but I didn't know how much I had to lose to begin. I know there isn't a "weight limit" per say, but how slow is the transition? I know it's intervals of walking and running, but how long are the intervals? I know I couldn't swing 10 minute intervals at first. I'm still 270lbs but with 8 months of fairly strenuous activity under my belt. I can jog for about 2-3min, intermittently with walking, with very minimal stress to my ankles or knees. 8 months of clearing thick overgrowth in my yard... by hand... with a halberd lol... Very uneven terrain does great things for the muscles in your ankles and knees... So... what are the beginning interval times? And has anyone began the program at my weight and succeeded?
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @Elaicea73‌ The intervals at first are something like 60 seconds run, 90 seconds walk off and on for the whole first week (I think).

Here's a link to a website that breaks it down.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I used it about 5? years ago. Go slow, once you get to week 10 you can start to work on speed. I've yet to do a full marathon, but I have done several 1/2's and OCR.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    A little over 4 years and 4 marathons ago...YES! I got started running doing C25K with the podcasts because I didn't have a smart phone at the time, my first goal was to run a 5K and crossing the finish line that first time got me hooked. I finished my 4th marathon on March 8.
  • laurab330
    laurab330 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 9 day 2 of c25k and have loved it so much! I could barely finish the 3 minute running intervals at the beginning but now I'm running 30 minutes pretty easily. I did a 5k 2 weeks ago and was able to run the whole thing with a really good time. Now I'm hooked on races! Running is such an amazing thing! I definitely echo the advice to go slow. I started out running too fast and it didn't do me any favors! When I slowed down is when I really made progress!
  • jryanr
    jryanr Posts: 5
    Options
    I started out at a local 5k program and have run several half marathons and one full marathon. It can be a lot of fun.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've stopper and started so many times, it's nutty. C25K, I can't quit you! Tomorrow is W1D2 this incarnation.
  • KnickersInATwist
    KnickersInATwist Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm a c25k graduate! Doing my first half marathon on Sunday, can't recommend the program enough!
    Just do it :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I did it three times. The first time was when I first learned how to run. I was 38 years old and hadn't run since high school, and that was just to make up skipped gym classes. Within 10 months, I won medals in my age group. Then I overdid it trying to run faster and ended up with a stress fracture. When I got the ok to start running again, I used C25k to ease back into it. What I found, after returning to running, is that I enjoy it much more if I include walk intervals. It doesn't have any major impact on my average pace, and I'm more into running for fun and stress relief than I am for racing and being competitive, so it doesn't really matter if I finish a little slower.

Fast forward a few years, and I had a lower back injury. When that finally eased up enough to start running again, I used C25K again. But this time around, I veered away from the set plan after the fifth week, because I don't like steady running. So I just ran about 3 miles total, running when I could, and walking when I needed it, then after a few weeks, started adding a little more distance to my longest run. I'm up to 10k again now.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Learned to run with C25K and I was never able to run. Awesome, awesome program.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I did a similar program called Learn to Run offered by our local Running Room. In eight weeks I was running 2.5 K and I still am. The transformation is amazing.

Biggest tip? Go slow. Speed comes with endurance and endurance comes with longer runs. So to go fast (which you will want to do later after you finish C25K) you run farther.

The first to improve is cardiovascular and it happens so much faster than you might expect. Within a few days my endurance had improved.

The second to improve is your strength.

The last to adapt are the joints and tendons, so be kind to them. Don't overdo it.
  • erinm5
    erinm5 Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Currently on Week 6 Day 2. Listen to everyone in this thread:

1) Go Slow
    2) Get good shoes
    3) Listen to your body
    4) Have fun and you will be amazed at what your body can do!

When I started I could barely run 30 seconds and now I can run up to 20 minutes. I was never a runner, but it gives you a different kind of confidence. I feel better, have more energy and bonus it stifles my appetite. My first 5 K is scheduled for 1 month from today.

Start and keep at it. You've got this!
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did C25K! I will echo what someone above said.... if it still feels impossible, don't be afraid to keep repeating a certain day or week a few extra times. I did it with a friend, and we both went from zero to 5k in a few months. Now I am training for a half marathon! Definitely get an app... I got some free C25K app on my phone, which made it really easy to keep track in the beginning when you're walk/running/walking etc. a lot. Once we got to the longer runs, I stopped using the C25K app and started using Runkeeper. Way to go and good luck!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I'm just about to start my last week. I did it on the treadmill so that I could control speed and have some consistency. I'm currently taking the run between 8 and 8.8km/hr. Once I'm done, I'll up the incline and then move it outdoors.

That's me exactly! I'm on week 2 day 4