cottage cheese??

Options
JJ_27
JJ_27 Posts: 19
I bought some low fat cottage cheese as I heard it is very good weight loss food (high protein low carb). I had it on toast and have to say I didnt particularly like it.
Anyone have suggestions/recipes for using cottage cheese in cooking?

Replies

• NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I either eat it with fruit in it, or use it to top a salad.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    was it the flavour or texture you didnt like? try mixing in fruit or jam to change the flavour....as for cooking try it with pastas or look up some recipes with eggs as sort of a quiche :)
  • sheets03
    sheets03 Posts: 18
    Options
    oh gross! You need to add fruit to it, canned pineapple (no sugar added) or some jam/jelly to it. honey will sweeten it up too. Have you tried Greek yogurt? Not yoplait tho- too much added sugar.
  • meganwolsker
    Options
    Ewww...on toast--no wonder why you didn't like it ;) Umm..I like to eat mine either plain with lots of salt and pepper or I like to add tomatoes to it. As far as cooking goes...I prefer cottage cheese over ricotta cheese...so I use it in to make a low fat version of lasagna or stuffed shells.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I put it in a salad with things like black beans,chick peas and crunchy tortilla strips, just a couple olives and a tiny bit of low fat dressing. I always put pepper on it too, seems to help the taste.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have it with fruit.
  • kathrynthomas5
    Options
    Yummy with tinned pineapple
  • allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use it on my salad-instead of dressing.. and I've never tried it on toast ..hmm
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with peaches is really good.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great with salt and pepper, with just about any fruit you can think of, and makes great low fat lasagna filler.
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    I buy a bag of frozen blue berries and add a bunch to it every morning. Let it sit for a while to thaw the blueberries, mix it up - yum! Fresh blueberries are better, but it's hard to always have fresh fruit.
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    I love cottage cheese on toast, but I have to say that if you use the really low fat version it can be a bit unpleasant. If you're going to have it with toast try to go for 3 or 4% fat... Obviously the lower fat versions are going to be better for weight loss, but even at 4% it's better than some of the alternatives.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a dab of frech or western dressing in it... sounds wierd... but I love it. Other wise pepper....
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I gotta say I'm not at all a fan of the low-fat/no-fat cottage cheese.

But the good news is that even if you get the 4% fat cottage cheese (way yummier) has still got a good calorie to nutrient ratio.
    Good for you, but not too high in calories or okay it's got some sat. fat, but not as bad as I was expecting.

My plan was to handle it the way I transitioned from whole milk to skim milk.
    Step 1) from whole milk to 2%,
    Step 2) from 2% to 1%,
    Step 3) from 1% to half 1%&half skim,
    Step 4) from half 1%&half skim to all skim

When I tried 4% cottage cheese for the first time ever. I was surprised at how yummy it was. I'd always tried the non-fat before (and hated it) because I wanted to lose weight, but I never actually worked it into my diet, because I hated it.

I've only made it to Step #3 - 2%. I don't know if I'm going to tough it out all the way down to non-fat, but it still MUCH better than I was doing before and fits nicely into my calories and fat reqs. And I find it enjoyable and satisfying.

Step 1) 4% Cottage Cheese (CC)
    Step 2) 4% CC mixed with 1% CC = 3% CC
    Step 3) 2% CC (Friendship or Daisy)
    Step 4) 2% CC mixed with 1% CC = 1.5% CC
    Step 5) 1% CC
    Step 6) 1% CC mixed with non-fat CC =.5% CC
    Step 7) Non-Fat CC
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    This sounds really weird but I mix 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce, 1/2 t cinnamon, and 1 T vanilla protein powder. It's really good. You get extra protein and I like to use it as a dessert replacement.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    you can make cottage cheese pancakes with it
    2 cups cottage cheese
    4 eggs (or 2 eggs and 4 egg whites)
    1\2 cup all purpose flour
    pinch of salt
    Mix it all together and let it stand for 2 hours or more
    cook like regular pancakes
    they are yummy
    :smile:
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have cottage cheese for breakfast every morning with 1/2 of a banana and about 1/2c. of chopped strawberries, mixed together and served with a skinny latte.... yummmmm
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a dab of frech or western dressing in it... sounds wierd... but I love it. Other wise pepper....

I thought i was the only odd person out there that did that LOL i love it with french dressing. I also instead of the dressing put a little applebutter with cottage cheese
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Try Darigold- low fat cottage cheese . I love it on toast , with green onion on top and tomatoes on a side, or over tomatoe salad , or with blueberry and honey ...yummmmm
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite foods is a baked potaro topped with cottage cheese
    the mix of hot and cold is really satisfying, also diced tomotoes in cottage
    cheese