Rethinking the Wagon-Why falling off is not a bad thing

Options
I first joined MFP in 2012. I counted my calories, watched my portion sizes, and exercised every day. The result: I lost over 75 pounds in about 8 months. More importantly, I actually enjoyed the process. It was fun to eat the foods I wanted to eat and still see the pounds drop off and my pants size decrease. People complimented me constantly- I felt like a hero.
As soon as I reached the maintenance phase though, I faltered. I no longer had the excitement of the weight loss to motivate me; I no longer had the fulfillment that comes with binging. I felt like I was in a void. As much as I had cautioned myself against it, I still had grand expectations of my life after I lost the weight. When I started to gain the weight back, I tried desperately to get back on track. My metabolism slowed down (I'm 36, it was bound to happen), but most problematic of all, I couldn't get mentally in the game anymore. It was like I didn't care. I continued to beat myself up; I felt like a failure and an embarrassment. I kept asking myself "How could I let this happen again?" "What is wrong with me?"

A couple of days ago, I had an epiphany. What if my "fall off the wagon" wasn't a failure? When I really thought about it; I wasn't all that bothered by the weight gain. I still feel attractive enough. I have other goals and experiences in my life that I'm excited about. Yes, the weight loss was nice, but it's not like my life drastically changed. I was still the same person, with the same joys and the same problems. The novelty of getting into a smaller size, wore off fairly quickly.

I now realize that falling off the wagon isn't a regression, it's a powerful moment of growth and an understanding of reality, minus all of the false claims that the dieting industry tells us. Other than health reasons, I was trying to motivate myself with something that at a subconscious level I knew was false.

I do want to get back on track, but I'm changing my perspective. I'm embracing the superficial goals. For example, I want to reduce the amount of times I wear Spanx. I want to save money by fitting into the clothes that are already in my closet. I want my thighs to not rub together when I'm wearing my shorts. These are not life changing, but they do improve the quality of my life, just a little. Most importantly, I'm aligning my goals with my new view of weight loss. That feeling of desperation is now gone and I'm able to approach my weight loss in a much more relaxed and peaceful manner.

So this is my advice. Instead of trying to get back on the diet wagon that somebody else is driving, walk the road yourself. Be in charge of your own journey, set your own course and go at your own pace!

Replies

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    *slow clap*

As someone who lost 50 pounds, gained it back, and is giving it a 2nd shot....you put my exact feelings into words. I really did think things would magically change. As I gave MFP another shot, I was forced to think about why I couldn't/didn't maintain the weight loss. There was no magical transformation...I was just me, the whole time. And knowing that makes things a little better this time around. I'm not trying to become someone else, this time. I'm just trying to be a better version of myself.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    phdiva12 wrote: »
    So this is my advice. Instead of trying to get back on the diet wagon that somebody else is driving, walk the road yourself. Be in charge of your own journey, set your own course and go at your own pace!

I like this a lot. Thank you!
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reading trixieloo & nuttynanners!
  • rebolaugh
    rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love this and needed to read it today. I'm sending you a friend request (no pressure!) I am also 36 and I also started at 250 pounds and have similar goals. I love that you are comfortable admitting the "superficial" benefits, which really aren't superficial if they, as you say, improve your quality of life.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks, rebolaugh! Would love to have you as a pal.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    love it
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I feel you wrote my story. I lost 50lbs in 2012 (from 193 - 143). Then I met my current BF. I let my habits slide and starting gaining back the weight. By December 2012 I was back up to 167 (which is gaining back about 1/2). I knew I had to do something. I didn't have to get back to 143 (because really it was too light and it wasn't realistic for being 36) but I needed to start doing something.

So I cleaned up my diet and starting religiously logging and keep under my calories. In 4 months I dropped to 151. I'm in size 6 jeans and size 8 work pants. I'm good. And now it's getting warmer I can be more active.

What I did learn is that losing weight doesn't really change things. You are still you, you are just thinner. I love who I am and 193 & 167 but I feel better at 151. Which makes it so I can be awesome so much easier! LOL

You can do whatever you set your mind to. And that's really it, it's what you set your mind to - it makes all the decisions.