Calories from Protien Poweder different than calories from another source - says trainer

Options
Koldnomore
Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
Hi!

So, I have just started back at the gym after a 6 month recovery period. I decided that since I have not been able to be seriously active at the gym with my progression for a very long time that I should have a trainer to ease me back in and start correcting some issues that I had been having with form etc before my accident. We started talking about nutrition etc which s fine. I was explaining to him how I have lost over 100 lbs in the past 10 years and all about my eating plan, TDEE , deficits etc.. I mentioned to him that I was previously maintaining at around 2300 calories and that I was now struggling to stay under 1800 (the reduction obviously because I can no longer keep up my pre-accident activity levels) but that I had been trying to increase my protein back up to an 'acceptable' 1g/pound (lean). I mentioned that I used to have a full scoop of powder but I had to cut back to half because calories were a bigger consideration than they were previously. The powder that I use is 93% protein by volume and 150 cal / scoop (40g). I have very little weight left to lose so yes, the 75 calories DOES make a difference - given that my deficit is currently non-existent and I am trying desperately to stop the slow slide back to obesity ;)

By this point, I had determined that this guy seemed to have a reasonable idea about fitness/nutrition as he was 'talking the talk' He even went as far as making sure I was eating enough by asking me to quantify how much 'enough' actually was. He seems like he isn't one of those crackpot trainers that you hear horror stories about. But then he says.. that another 'level 4' trainer who he knew had done extensive research and told him that the calories from protein powder weren't the same as other calories and that I shouldn't worry about adding another half scoop to my day because they "wouldn't count". Now.. having been around her for a couple of years has taught me to question these things. Of course I asked him for a source- several actually (peer reviewed of course). He told me he'd get back to me, but since I know that there are a ton of people around here who have done exhaustive studies on all things nutrition I wanted to ask.. Has anyone heard of this? Apparently it's a fairly recent finding. I still think it's bogus but I'm also not as current on my reading as some people so it may have just come out.

Thoughts?

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    That sounds dumb. Perhaps he doesnt understand the context in which he heard it? I don't know what context that kind of statement could live in, besides "nonsense" but...

Wouldn't discount his skills in kinesiology but maybe don't use him for nutrition advice
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Protein without the calories? Where can I buy this magic powder? I MUST HAVE IT!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I can't even find any bogus "science" suggesting this.
  • KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie

This ^^^^
  • Koldnomore
    Options
    I'm really curious to see the sources also! I'm also struggling with context. Maybe he meant to say that it's used more easily or something? I'm not sure.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey, can you ask him if my extra handful of almonds counts after I have that 2nd glass of wine? Oh, and the 2nd glass of wine, too? Because I'm pretty sure at the time it feels like it doesn't count.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This is even outside the realm of typical bro-science...this is the stupidest thing I've every heard I think...

I hope either you or he is simply misinterpreting something.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm guessing there's a game of "telephone" going on here and something is being lost in translation between the two trainers. Maybe the original conversation was something like "just take care of your macros and you don't need to count calories" and the bit about hitting macro targets got left off.

(Because, after all, counting macros is just a different way of counting calories.)

That's my guess, anyway, hard to tell without actually being there (and even then! :smiley: )
  • Koldnomore
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Hey, can you ask him if my extra handful of almonds counts after I have that 2nd glass of wine? Oh, and the 2nd glass of wine, too? Because I'm pretty sure at the time it feels like it doesn't count.

Considering it was meant to apply to protein in powder form, specially in supplements, I'd say yes :P
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This is even outside the realm of typical bro-science...this is the stupidest thing I've every heard I think...

I hope either you or he is simply misinterpreting something.

I totally think he's missing something. I fully agree with the 'calorie is a calorie' statement :smiley:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    He's the one putting the theory forward , get him to back it up as to why this protein is in an alternate universe. You could go and talk to his m8 the researcher. You already know the answer.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he was suggesting that the extra protein would be more beneficial than an additional 75 calories would be detrimental?
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Koldnomore wrote: »
    Hi!

So, I have just started back at the gym after a 6 month recovery period. I decided that since I have not been able to be seriously active at the gym with my progression for a very long time that I should have a trainer to ease me back in and start correcting some issues that I had been having with form etc before my accident. We started talking about nutrition etc which s fine. I was explaining to him how I have lost over 100 lbs in the past 10 years and all about my eating plan, TDEE , deficits etc.. I mentioned to him that I was previously maintaining at around 2300 calories and that I was now struggling to stay under 1800 (the reduction obviously because I can no longer keep up my pre-accident activity levels) but that I had been trying to increase my protein back up to an 'acceptable' 1g/pound (lean). I mentioned that I used to have a full scoop of powder but I had to cut back to half because calories were a bigger consideration than they were previously. The powder that I use is 93% protein by volume and 150 cal / scoop (40g). I have very little weight left to lose so yes, the 75 calories DOES make a difference - given that my deficit is currently non-existent and I am trying desperately to stop the slow slide back to obesity ;)

By this point, I had determined that this guy seemed to have a reasonable idea about fitness/nutrition as he was 'talking the talk' He even went as far as making sure I was eating enough by asking me to quantify how much 'enough' actually was. He seems like he isn't one of those crackpot trainers that you hear horror stories about. But then he says.. that another 'level 4' trainer who he knew had done extensive research and told him that the calories from protein powder weren't the same as other calories and that I shouldn't worry about adding another half scoop to my day because they "wouldn't count". Now.. having been around her for a couple of years has taught me to question these things. Of course I asked him for a source- several actually (peer reviewed of course). He told me he'd get back to me, but since I know that there are a ton of people around here who have done exhaustive studies on all things nutrition I wanted to ask.. Has anyone heard of this? Apparently it's a fairly recent finding. I still think it's bogus but I'm also not as current on my reading as some people so it may have just come out.

Thoughts?

I've seen a couple of YouTube videos and articles on this. ALL protein counts and every calorie counts. It's even to the extreme that some actually suggest weighing your scoops since not all manufacturers use the same size for their scoops and that the "1 level scoop" may not even weight the amount of weight in grams that the advertised serving size actually is. Hope this helps.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I weigh my scoops. Some end up a true scoop and I don't weigh that particular one again for that tub of it, and others end up being much less than a scoop to get a serving so it's weighed every time
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine he has read something relating to the higher thermic effect of protein..........but completely misunderstood it.