question about cleaning as exercise

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
okay now i usually don't consider cleaning exercise because its just a part of life. today i am considering it.

why ? injury. Since many injuries are sports related. and I hurt my foot pretty bad , dropped a mirror on it while moving.

Wouldnt that make todays cleaning a sport, or exercise by reason of injury????

Replies

• kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i count cleaning everytime i do it. i have 4 kids that dont know how to keep a room clean after i get it clean so da*n rght im counting it if its in the list of exercise
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    A lot of my MFP friends actually do log their exercise as cleaning. Hey I've sweat before cleaning... must be doing some form of exercise... lots of moving around o_o.

I say go for it since it's the only form of movement you can do.
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I normally don't count cleaning as exercise unless its something I dont normally do. Like the other day I cleaned my 7yo's room and OMG it took me like 2 hours on top of having to move everything around because he had enough food stashed between his bed and the wall to last a week..
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as exercise, even though it may be grueling at times... nor do I count chasing my child who has severe hyperactivity/pdd-nos because I assume this to be normal and party of my daily routine. I just figure that if I burn extra calories, that it is a bonus. Sorry to hear about your injury! Hope you heal (no pun intended!) quickly...
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    I count it everyday. I do it everyday, so I count it. I also prepare a lot of our foods from scratch, so I count cooking & food prep too. I also count gardening. I am moving around & on my feet so you betcha it counts.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yep, I count it. I sit at a computer 40+ hrs/wk, so it's not part of my usual weekday routine.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    was a bit more than the average cleaning, and somehow it started with a lost contact. which is a nother story not getting into
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am set as "Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)". I am at a desk more than not. So when I do anything outside of 'the regular' I record it. If people don't like it I figure it is on them not me.

I was actually amazed at what my HRM has recorded when doing deep cleaning. Considering your injury I would assume you will be sedentary more so than usual, and every little burn needs to count.

Quick healing to you. :flowerforyou:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Unless something raises my heart rate and makes me sweat, I don't log it. Shoveling dirt = exercise. Pulling weeds = no exercise. But that's just me.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Unless something raises my heart rate and makes me sweat, I don't log it. Shoveling dirt = exercise. Pulling weeds = no exercise. But that's just me.

my heart rate sure went up when i dropped that very large mirror on my foot. LOL
    big lump and nasty bruise, too bad my insurance does not cover xrays
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

my heart rate sure went up when i dropped that very large mirror on my foot. LOL
    big lump and nasty bruise, too bad my insurance does not cover xrays

I know EXACTLY what you are feeling. :sad: I did that a few years back (only it was a glass shower door). Ended up losing my toenail, which never did quite grow back properly.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I count it when it goes above and beyond the regular routine, Last week I dropped a fridge shelf on my toe while cleaning it, and had to perform minor surgury on it myself (you don't want to know) so I count it as extreme sports, in the category of the guy who had to cut off his own arm :P lol
  • dctyler
    dctyler Posts: 30
    Options
    I count vacuuming, as I vacuum upstairs and down. With my HRM i tracked that i burn 198 calories in 30 minutes. So you bet i count that.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I count vacuuming, as I vacuum upstairs and down. With my HRM i tracked that i burn 198 calories in 30 minutes. So you bet i count that.

when i work sundays, i always tell the to leave the floors for me. mainly for extra time. but i have often thought about logging that. its a pretty big job to sweep and mop the whole place at once