multivitamins

Options
mzjenn2u
mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
Do you take them? What type? I have a sensitive stomach and get sick off of certain vitamins so I am scared to try anything but flintstones and gummy vitamins....suggestions? I am a 31y/o female.

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i usually take the flinstones complete, which has a full dose of Iron, which i need. my kids take them too. no issues. Recently I bought centrum women's on a very good sale, and have been taking them this past week. I like that the centrum women's has 1/2 a day's worth of calcium in them, so I dont have to work as hard to get enough in my diet. So far no issues, but the pills are large. The flintstones should be fine to take. :)
  • mzjenn2u
    Options
    Awesome thanks....
  • briandap1
    briandap1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I researched this a bit and you are better off taking a natural vitamin, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Women-Capsules/dp/B0039LF4Y4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427377549&sr=8-3&keywords=vitamin+code+women

Most vitamins, like Centrum, are loaded with synthetic vitamins and minerals which your body cannot easily absorb. This is why some vitamins have 3000% of specific stuff. Check it out.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My husband thinks that multivitamins are a complete ripoff. I think they're like an insurance policy: if you eat balanced meals that fill the majority of your nutrition needs, a vitamin can fill in some of the gaps...just don't rely on them to do all the work for you. I found they made me feel ill if I took them on an empty stomach, so I've started taking them after breakfast and no more nausea. FYI, I take a One A Day, a glucosamine (suggested by my dr for hip pain due to exercise), and a biotin for my nails.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    briandap1 wrote: »
    I researched this a bit and you are better off taking a natural vitamin, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Women-Capsules/dp/B0039LF4Y4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427377549&sr=8-3&keywords=vitamin+code+women

Most vitamins, like Centrum, are loaded with synthetic vitamins and minerals which your body cannot easily absorb. This is why some vitamins have 3000% of specific stuff. Check it out.

my kid's pediatrician does not recommend most multivitamins, especially mail order, or off brands.

She has a short list she recommends for kids with specific nutritional issues. My son has a disorder that causes extreme limited variety in his diet, ie- very little iron, omega 3's, and b-vits. She recommends flintstones vitamins for him.

My doctor (obviously NOT a pediatrician) recommends certain vitamins, from a short list as well, and she prefers centrum and one-a-day specifically. She also had some good things to say about costco's in house brand. Again, she only recommends them for people with specific nutritional issues. (I need iron and b-vitamins, so I take a multi vitamin everyday)

• melimomTARDIS
    Options
    FWIW- my husband takes no vitamins at all!
  • mzjenn2u
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I appreciate the info and opinions
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Diet/nutrition studies get dissed for being epidemiological and relying on self-reporting vs. being controlled double blind. It's a double edged sword. If you want a very large sample size, it's impractical to control for everything and vice versa. This article appears to be a good summary of both concerning supplements. Bottom line: there's no evidence they help (cognitive, cancer and cardiovascular health), and some evidence they might harm, unless taken to correct a specific known deficiency.
  • ak592
    ak592 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use NOW multivits because the vitamins are supposedly derived from natural sources and not synthetic. Might be bunko, but they're cheap. Why not?
  • ds1007
    ds1007 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I take GNC's Ultra Mega Multi Vitamin - 2 per day
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I take GNC's Women's Green. The GNC brand of multivitamins are the only ones that actually make me feel BETTER. All other vitamins I've tried (such as Centrum or One a Days) either didn't make me feel any different or made me feel worse. The Green formula from GNC is also easier on the stomach. I used to take a different multivitamin from them that I liked but I had to eat it with a meal, otherwise I felt nauseated. With these Green vitamins, I usually have them with breakfast but even if I have them a little later because I'm busy they don't make me sick to my stomach. Good luck to you on finding something that works for you!
  • breezy0906
    breezy0906 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    gnc womens ultra mega Energy & metabloism
    I love them. Just make sure you take after you've eaten something
  • mzjenn2u
    Options
    Thanks for the info....def eating before I try anything new
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i take a daily womens vitamin, hubby takes a daily mens vitamin plus additional potassium (per docs orders)

because my son eats.....almost nothing... his doc has him take a flintstones vitamin
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I take rainbow light certified organic made with plants no synthetic.
    http://www.rainbowlight.com/certified-organics.aspx