Eating after a workout or before?

Options
Which one? Expert advice please:D

Replies

• chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body... For me I can't eat less than an hour before I workout(running/other cardio) because of stitches and whatnot... If I have to eat, I have a banana about an hour before I workout... Usually I have to eat after a workout, and I try to aim for some type of protein, like eggs or nuts or even chicken from dinner...
    But everybody is different... Some people could eat a thanksgiving feast and still be ready to workout... That's not me.

But also, don't force yourself to eat before you workout... Only eat if you're hungry and know that you need to...
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I figure what ever doesn't make you sick. Heavy stomachs and intenses work outs don't mix, but neither does being hungery and working out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Whatever works for you

This^. I don't eat before or immediately after, because that's what my body likes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I workout at 5am, I don't eat anything before, because I ain't getting up any earlier just to have a snack and then let it digest a bit. :stuck_out_tongue: Same for summer running - out the door at dawn, I can do 3-5 miles on an empty stomach, no problem. I eat breakfast after either of those situations, as soon as I feel ready for it.

In winter when I run later in the morning, I might eat a slice of toast with peanut butter a couple of hours before a run, or have full breakfast before a strength workout or a run if I know I'll have a good 3 hours in between the meal and the workout.

Just depends on what works for you.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. I feel better if I wait until afterwards but if I haven't eaten much before the workout then I'll have a snack about 30 minutes prior. Otherwise my energy is too low to make it through.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Definitely, eat something before you workout, especially if you're going to be outside. Seven weeks ago I went for a bicycle ride and ended up going to the hospital following a crash. I went for eight hours without anything substantial to eat.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Eat something small and light an hour-ish before you workout, and then eat a proper meal after. Trying to operate normally after a workout with no food in your stomach = a very bad time. And yes, this applies even if it was a late night workout. Your body needs to refuel and repair itself.

The only exception to this is of you're waking up and going straight into a workout, in which case its your choice.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Short of some pretty specific stuff like endurance sports it doesn't matter.

I would agree.
    I work 3rd shift, so I normally have my workout when I get home and then eat but every once in awhile, I am hungry enough to want to eat before my workout. Aside from a slight bump in energy, it doesn't make much difference as to when I eat.
  • Fatgirlontheloose
    Fatgirlontheloose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Which one? Expert advice please:D

Personal trainer said eat something small before, like a banana or something, then eat the larger portion of your meal when your done. You don't want to work out having nothing in your stomach, but you also don't want to feel full while trying to.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What is your workout? General rule is fast digesting carbs before, protein after. You don't want a heavy meal before you workout. Pretzels or some crackers are good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually eat before and after...and sometimes during.

I don't eat big meals before a workout, but I like to have some fruit or something before I ride or lift. I usually ride at lunch, so I eat lunch pretty much right after my rides at my desk...I lift in the evening after work a couple nights per week and I eat dinner shortly after when I get home.

I often go on long rides or hikes during on the weekends and I often eat while I'm doing these things.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I think it is pretty much whatever works out best for you.
    For me, I work out first thing in the morning. Breakfast after. Water during work out.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm an after eater - I get to the gym at 4 AM and finish by about 5:15 AM. I usually have breakfast while driving to work at 7.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are going to do for your exercise, how long, what intensity etc. I eat before specifically before, during and after.

Before is to consider that I have enough food in me to fuel the workout, carbs and hydrate. Some people like fasted cardio.

After I tend to make sure ive had some protein as part of my daily requirement. I used to worry about the so called window, but now I just eat during the day.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. Whatever makes you feel best. I work out super early in the morning, so I eat a Quest bar before my workout and a protein shake right afterward. Then I have breakfast a few hours later. Works for me. Working out on an empty stomach makes me feel nauseous and weak, so it just ain't happening.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a few hours before I run. Either a late lunch or small snack so I'm not full nor am I very hungry. It seems to work out well.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Both - because that is what my body likes.
  • SabrinaLovesPandora
    SabrinaLovesPandora Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I, personally, get up early enough to exercise(around 6-7am) that I won't eat beforehand. Then I try to get in some protein and a lot of fruits/veggies afterward.

My major calorie intake tends not to be during breakfast time, but lunch time which is hours after I've already worked out.