New to MFP - 145 lb to 130?

Options
Hi! I just started MFP this week. I've always struggled with counting calories, but I've heard a lot of good things about this app. I'm tired of feeling tired and unhappy with my body. I'm 32, 5'6" and 145 lbs. I would really like to lose 10-15 lbs but since I have less to lose, I've always found this to be hard and I usually maintain my weight right around 145.

I know my biggest problem is my long commute to and from work and then sitting at a desk all day long. I am a vegan, but I am honestly a junk food vegan. I tend to eat fairly healthy during the day, but overeat at dinner and snack until bedtime. I would really like to hear how people have conquered these bad habits and stop obsessing over food!

Feel free to add me. Thanks!

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm almost your twin. 27, 5'7", 144lbs.
  • RosieGarcia12
    Options
    I'm 32, 5'5 and 140. I just had a baby and have 15 pounds to drop to get back to my pre prego weight. I would like to figure out how to break the pm sugar need. I'm great all day long, then around 7 or 8pm, I mess up royally and eat a ton of sweets.
  • mimmy1091
    mimmy1091 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same current weight and goal weight here. Currently hovering between 145 and 148. Would like to get down to 130. Feel free to add me :)
  • wilderl2015
    Options
    Hi, I am 52 and started out on MFP in January weighing 154. Today I weigh 137 and have gone down two sizes. I think by being honest with the food diary helps you realize how much unconscious eating that you do. It also helps knowing if you put in an hour's worth of exercise you can have another 500 or so calories if you have a nice dinner planned or really want some sugar!

Lisa
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm also 145 and 5'6! I have a really hard time getting under 140 and have never consistently maintained below. But I'm aiming for 130, too!
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I usually save 150 to 250 calories for something sweet after dinner. My current dessert is 1/2 cup of plain yogurt or coconut milk yogurt mixed with 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder and PB

I try to make my desserts somewhat healthy and filling. Other things I like for something sweet is:
    - A few ounces of dark chocolate
    - Skinny Cow ice cream bar
    - Banana with peanut butter
    - Almond Butter
    - Chocolate based trail mix
    - Think thin protein bar
    - Raspberries or strawberries dipped in truvia

I also drink a glass of water with my dessert. Sometimes it takes extra willpower not to munch on more than one serviing of "dessert", but overtime it gets easier and it feels good going to bed knowing I got to enjoy my sweet treat without over indulging.

I'm 29 5' 6" currently 24 weeks pregnant at 132 lbs and my pre pregnancy weight was 123.
  • hrnighs
    hrnighs Posts: 2
    Options
    I have this exact same problem. I've been sitting around 145 lbs (I'm 26 and 5'6") for a while now because I eat too much at dinner time, and sweets afterwards. So frustrating.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me was changing my attitude towards food. Food = fuel. If you can think about it that way the junk foods will start to look less appealing. If you don't want to give up the junk, then getting outside for your breaks for a brisk walk will help out. Adding just more walking to your daily routine will really help bringing your Calories in/Calories out back into balance which will let you keep eating the junk and lose weight. If you drink full sugar soda, switching to diet and/or removing a can and replacing with 1-2 glasses of water a day will help to balance out your liquid intake for the day.
  • TofuCat82
    TofuCat82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone! :)
  • sullrico18
    sullrico18 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This site is a great tool to use ---- I have similar stats (31, 143 lbs, 5'6" -- goal weight 135 lbs) and a sort of similar issue -- the last few pounds seem to be the hardest to shake! I tend to do well at work (I also have a desk job), but once I get home, I want to eat everything in the house!

As people have mentioned, tracking is a great way to see what you're actually consuming. For me, I've found that if I start my day off with a lot of protein, I tend to not be as hungry or looking for something to snack on a few hours later, whereas if I have a lot of carbs for breakfast, I'm looking for something carb-based within an hour or two (this has been my current problem, so I've been looking for easy protein-based food to grab on my way out the door in the morning).

My other tip would be to limit the amount of 'junk food' in your house --- I know if I have something like oreos laying around, I will eat them all within a couple of days. (I'm not very good at moderation w/ certain sweets).

Feel free to add me if you would like! Good luck! :smile: