Blue Apron Calorie Counts - My Recipe Import

Options
Hello,

I use Blue Apron and Plated meal box delivery services. I find that while the calorie counts provided by Plated are roughly equal to those I calculate in MFP, the Blue Apron counts are usually way off. Most of the time, the counts are lower in MFP than the ones provided by Blue Apron. On average, the latest recipes have calculated out to be ~150 calories lower in MFP than the ones provided by BA. I generally trust the info in MFP, but why would BA be so far off?

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I think they give you a rough estimate. The calories listed are always 750 or 650 etc. never 589 etc...
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've noticed this too. I also remove the dairy from their recipes (for myself) so the counts are even lower. I think the Fontina pasta with no cheese is 445 at 3 servings (I know it will make at least that, because I usually add chicken or another meat to all the veggie dishes).

I also think their portions are huge. I made the Turkey Chili last night, ate a good sized bowl, and there was a ton left. It made at least 3 servings.

They seem to round up overall, but they may also account for the oil used in cooking, etc. I tend to add that in when I add the recipe. It just makes things easy I suppose.

I would love full nutrition information on their meals, especially with the portion sizes they give.
  • lamommy13
    lamommy13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    kpw818 wrote: »
    I would love full nutrition information on their meals, especially with the portion sizes they give.

I emailed Blue Apron about this. I will let you know what they say.

Thank you for your replies, kpw818 and annaskiski!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are not adding in the olive oil. I use the recipe importer, but BA never includes the olive oil in the ingredients list, so you have to manually add it.

If you add 2 TB olive oil to every recipe, the calorie counts come out pretty close....
  • deason91
    deason91 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

kpw818 wrote: »

I also think their portions are huge. I made the Turkey Chili last night, ate a good sized bowl, and there was a ton left. It made at least 3 servings.

They seem to round up overall, but they may also account for the oil used in cooking, etc. I tend to add that in when I add the recipe. It just makes things easy I suppose.

I also think their portion sizes are huge,kpw818. I just cut my half in half (we get the two-person meals) and log in half the calories.

• richardalbertbryant1146
    Options
    It would be awesome if you guys did some sort of integration with Blue Apron whereas you can import their recipe cards for the raw ingredients of a meal and import them into MyFitnessPal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It would be awesome if you guys did some sort of integration with Blue Apron whereas you can import their recipe cards for the raw ingredients of a meal and import them into MyFitnessPal.

There are no "you guys" here. The people on these boards are other MFP users, not the folks who run MFP and have control of integration partnerships.