menus!

Options
hey im new to myfitnesspal but not new to diets! These past 2 years ive gained 20lbs and i cant lose anything!!! seems like im gaining when i go on a diet not losing!!! anyone have any menu ideas? an easy menu idea that doesnt leave you hungry and run out of calories by lunch time or make you have to run for 12 hours to burn what you ate lol

Replies

• snowness
    snowness Posts: 71
    Options
    I don't have any set menu items but what has helped me has been looking at the diaries of my friends on here and getting ideas/inspiration from what they log
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well what do you like eating normally? Theres all sorts of healthier options for things you like, so you don't have to eat things you dislike just to be healthy. For me, I love pizza..greasy meaty pizza. But last night I discovered a recipe that made an ENITRE pizza only 877 calories, with jalapenos pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, homemade sauce, just almost no cheese. So through lunch and dinner thats what I ate, and for breakfast I had a mcdonald's snack wrap (still cant kick the habits of some things), but stayed within my 1200 calorie goal.

I also REALLY like cooking so if you dont like cooking, your options will be adjusted a bit differently as to what you feel like spending time making, and what you want as instant gratification.

So all in all, what kinds of foods do you like? Then we can find better options for them :D

Also you can look around at some peoples diaries, Lots of people have it open publicly and you can see what they have been eating on their profile, I believe mines available if your interested :) Let me know if its not :D

Edit: There was also hamburger on my pizza :D
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    Not many people post menus here, its more a matter of thinking about what you are eating before you eat it. If you want recipes and stuff, look at the blogs and post topics *search recipes/menus* and you should find something.

Its not a diet, its a lifestyle change, you just have to choose to eat a little less of some things and more of others.

Good luck in your journey!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    well your first mistake is dieting. they never work in the long run. and its not about menus..and i highly doubt anyone on here is going to plan your meals for you..this is something you need to do learn yourself..its not about dieting, but changing your whole eating and health lifestyle..which means making smart choices when it comes to food and fitness
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    can I recommend weighitup.com.au (free to join program - you may need to pretend you are in australia tho??) as they have a new menu each week, you sign up and follow it for 12wks (if you like) or if you are like me you sign up and steal ideas from it to fit into your 1200cal plan :D - I was not doing as big servings as they suggest and it was hitting 800-1000 cals (as they also say only snack when you are hungry etc so i wasnt snacking...) but overall they are really good meal ideas and easy to make it so it is not too low in cals - I was not hungry at all on the actual plan and am not hungry on my modified version of this - they are just really good ideas for running a balanced week that also makes sense with shopping ingredients (like suggests use leftovers from this dinner to cook next day or uses similar ingredients in several meals etc etc)

the website itself is quite awesome for recipe ideas also

work out a few things you like for breakfast, a few things you like for lunch, for dinner etc - then start experimenting with different flavours and variations of these - you will have fun planning your meals if you get a bit inventive :P

hope that helps!
    Bridget
  • ehilgeman
    ehilgeman Posts: 45
    Options
    If you're looking for recipes, I have a separate web page where I've stored years of healthy, easy recipes that I really like. It's http://ericastable.blogspot.com Check it out.

If you're looking for ideas on what to eat for everyday stuff that's low calorie, you might want to check out your MFP friends' food diaries if they share them. The folks that insist it's a lifestyle are 100% correct, but sometimes you just need a little jumpstart to figure out some good healthy meals. Here are a few of my go-to's:

Breakfast:
    1) Greek yogurt with mandarin oranges, blueberries, banana, almonds, & honey
    2) Low carb / low cal bagel with peanut butter and banana
    3) Fiber One cereal with banana & light soymilk

Lunch:
    1) Leftovers from the night before
    2) Wendy's chili with a side salad & potato (pour chili over salad & potato instead of dressing or butter)
    3) Carl's Jr turkey burger & side salad
    4) McDonald's southwest salad

Dinner:
    I usually cook - check out the webpage I enclosed above.
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    One more thing, if you are a fan of fast food or if that is a weak spot for you -- it might be beneficial for you to play with the nutrition calculator on your favorite places.

For me, seeing how many calories were in some things amazed me, also the amount of calories in hamburger buns in general were crazy, and if you can stomach eating something minus the bun (i like to eat a mcdonalds hamburger with no bun every once and a while) it cuts the calories down a huge amount, plus their breads have almost no, if not no, nutritional value. I also like Wendy's chilis like Ehilgeman said :)
  • RainbowsAndButterflies
    Options
    thanks guys!!! i do try to make everything at home and not eat out but i think thats the probable cause i round the calories instead of weighing everything like i used to... i have a lot of studying to do so i want something quick! but i will check out other peoples diaries and get ideas ( I didnt know i could)! I always get hungry when im studying lol... ill check out the sites too... i do exercise but just walk for 2 hours on the tredmill but i was told that was too much! i bike ride sometimes but then i have cold stone everyday lol... but i think ill eat consciously tomorrow!!! thx a bunch!
  • RainbowsAndButterflies
    Options
    i eat fast food like once every 3 months lol... not a big fan just crave it sometimes... today i had burger king! and that tiny sandwich was like 360 calories... not as much as cold stone founders favorite and the french vanilla cappuccino from 7 eleven... i had all that today lol... i just need someone to encourage me..i cant be eating like that... i was 124 for the longest time... till i was 25 and some of 26... im 27 now and 144... nothing fits and nothing looks good... im not even looking forward to the summer coming
  • RainbowsAndButterflies
    Options
    congrats on you 31 lbs btw :smile: