Original Paleo Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    You might check out Mark's Daily Apple (Google it). I don't like Mark Sisson very much but I know when I was doing Paleo, there seemed to be a ton of information there.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you are doing really great and what you are doing is working super well for you! By all means, read about Paleo if it is of interest to you, but you don't need to make such drastic changes to be healthy. The good stuff from Paleo is doing home cooking, more whole foods, and for PCOS lowering refined carbs is likely to be helpful. There are lots of great Paleo recipes out there too, so that can add to the diversity of choices that you have when meal planning :)
  • sheenabyrd
    sheenabyrd Posts: 14 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to provide so much information, including the pros and cons. I now have a good place to start researching and finding out what works best for me and my lifestyle.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Robb Wolf is an excellent place to start if you're looking into Paleo. His book, The Paleo Solution, is easy to read, hilarious and pretty comprehensive for the paleo thing. You can get it on kindle too. I don't think that there is any harm in trying it out. I kept it up for 2 years, and lost loads of weight while doing it. However, I decided that I liked eating some of the verboten foods, and opted to go off it (and I gained a bunch of weight back from eating too much food). This time I don't desire to live without pizza and cake, so I'm flexible dieting. I don't have gluten intolerance or any other hormonal condition that makes a low carb or paleo diet worth it to me.

I would also look into The Clothes Make the Girl. She has a wonderful recipe site and a couple of cook books with easy and delicious food.

Robb Wolf? Diet in the North, eh? You GOT to be kidding :p

(All right, I checked it out, I'm all for eating real food, but not for cutting out food.)
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness is a good starting place as well...they talk about easy paleo lifestyle there..just google it.
  • Firefly_71
    Firefly_71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just to add a few more options: I would check out Leanne Vogel's blog. She actually follows a Keto/Paleo hybrid, that recognizes the challenges that women face. I would also check out Skye St John's book No Fail Fat Burning For Women (a relatively inexpensive ebook on Amazon), she too follows Paleo principals. Skye St. John also has a blog (same name as book), but the content is pretty scant at this point (the blog is also really hard to find).

Both Vogel and St. John are big fans of Dave Asprey (somewhat controversial, but IMHO he's dedicated to helping people find success). Asprey might be considered more a of Paleo 2.0 guy. He's improved on some aspects of the Paleo diet, and also uses a lot of supplements (to the point of excess at times). You will find nay-sayers and strong proponents of Paleo. The bottom line is you have to decide what works for you, and what will enable you to achieve success and lasting change.

Also, if you do Paleo, you may want to make sure that you are getting enough fat. I really resisted the idea of adding more fat to my diet, until I just couldn't manage to lose on low carb/high protein. I switched to Low Carb, High Fat (LCHF), and made sure at least 65 to 70 percent of my diet was coming from fat. I saw immediate results. My weight loss went from 2.2 lbs a month to 4.4 to 6 lbs a month. Check out the ruled.me blog for more info on this. Best of luck to you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options