Good inexpensive heart rate monitor?

Options
So I wanted to purchase the Fitbit, but it's expensive right now for me. Any cheap alternatives? I don't really care for the strap ones, any advice?

Replies

• amsmithatc33
    amsmithatc33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use a Misfit and really like it. $49@ Walmart!
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Cool I'm going to check that out thanks
  • healthyfitme12
    healthyfitme12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 Fitness Women's Heart Rate Monitor and I love it! It has everything you need, I ordered mine from Heart Rate Monitor USA and it was $55.75. If that's not in your price range they have a whole lot of heart rate monitors you can choose from. Hope this helps with your choice!
  • heather0709
    Options
    Thanks!! I'm hoping to get one by Sunday.
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Polar is amazing a lot more accurate than fitbit in terms of counting how many calories you burn :)
  • Joelley1007
    Joelley1007 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7. I got it on amazon for $60, absolutely
  • Joelley1007
    Joelley1007 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love it !
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Polar is fantastic and the only HRM brand I would recommend. My first one was the FT40 which has more features than the FT4. I use a FT60 now but it's a bit on the pricey side. Polar offers the FT1 which is like $50. If you just want anything to use, go with the FT1, FT4. If you want something fairly close to accurate with useful features as you get more in shape, spend some extra money and go for the FT40 ($70-100 depending on where you buy) or the FT60 ($160-$200)
  • sea_dog
    sea_dog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have read that the ones without chest straps are not accurate. I have used a Polar watch and strap in the past, but I think they are a waste. First, I wanted it to see what my base was and if I became more fit. Later, it was to ensure I wasn't having a heart attack or something. e.g. Heart rate wasn't too high. However, you can monitor your own rate just by taking your pulse for 10 seconds, then multiplying by 6. Or even better, just feel your level of effort. If you can hold a conversation while your running, your probably in a good zone. If you are gasping for breath, you are probably overdoing it.

U.S. Navy's Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) Chart, page 11.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Command PT and FEP Guide 2011.pdf
  • brute_f0rce
    brute_f0rce Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like the Scosche monitor. It's arm-mounted, and has been great for me while out cycling.

scosche.com rhythm+
  • heather0709
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What are you planning on using it for?

An HRM is only good for measuring steady state cardio in terms of calories.

I am yet to be convinced as to the purpose of these new generation 24 hr wrist HRMs

And I say that as someone who always wears her fitbit Zip for step counting and a Polar Ft4 with chest strap to the gym ...
  • heather0709
    Options
    I want it for at home use, my husbands will be working more hours, so that means more at home workouts, I would like to know my heart rate, calories burn and steps, especially when I'm not at the gym , or when I am at the gym also for knowing my heart rate.

So misfit doesn't show you heart rate until you sync it?
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The strapped kind will be your most accurate. I like using the Timex Zone Trainer. Got it on amazon for $75 or so. Hasnt failed me yet, has a big display, and many different functions. Works as and looks like a waterproof watch for when you dont want to use the hrm functionality.

I dont trust the wrist ones. Had bad experiences with them, and the polar ft7 was just too small for my hands and eyes. Timex one has a better view of the numbers and words.