help!!!

Options
Granted I've only been here for 10 days.. I'm confused because I cut my calories down to 1200, I lost 6 pounds right away but I gained back 5. What is happening?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Shifts in water weight most likely.
  • sbetts2229
    sbetts2229 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Shifts in water weight most likely.

This
  • Karley_Chochard
    Karley_Chochard Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i cut grain, dairy, meat, sugars, and salt out. Works like a charm if you can do it.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Don't panic! I came back, started eating far less and better foods, and put on 9 pounds in two weeks. Just be consistent. Watch your salt intake---it can cause you to retain water.
    Make a plan and stick to it.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    ^^what she said. Any drastic loss the first couple of days is expected but for keeping it off long term just focus on taking it slow and steady. Good Luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Each pound of fat lost requires a deficit of 3500 calories. Since it's highly unlikely you ate little enough to really so much weight so quickly, most of what you lost at first was water, possibly due to a change in the way you were eating. Our bodies retain and shed water constantly due to factors like sodium in our food, muscle repair after an intense workout, etc.
  • cheyenne6931
    cheyenne6931 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I moved the scale to a different part of the bathroom and bam, I lost 5 pounds in 10 seconds.. How frustrating. I started at 206 on my period, went down to 200 after and now (depending on where I put my scale) I weigh between 200 and 194, I wish I actually knew how much I've lost.
  • cheyenne6931
    Options
    I do at least feel my body looks "tighter".
  • NikiMG1681
    NikiMG1681 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for a new scale!!
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    just keep the scale in a consistent place. Key is that you are tracking food appropriately and weighing in the same place and at same time of day.

Most would recommend first thing in the morning as that will likely be your lowest point of the day prior to any water/coffee/etc.
  • NikiMG1681
    NikiMG1681 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That being said, don't put so much "weight" on the scales numbers. I held steady at 188 for almost 2 months of my journey (the first 2 months). But I dropped 2 pants sizes.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    i cut grain, dairy, meat, sugars, and salt out. Works like a charm if you can do it.
    But... Why? :(
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Get a piece of tape and mark where you put your scale. Make sure you put it in the same spot every time you weigh in.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I moved the scale to a different part of the bathroom and bam, I lost 5 pounds in 10 seconds.. How frustrating. I started at 206 on my period, went down to 200 after and now (depending on where I put my scale) I weigh between 200 and 194, I wish I actually knew how much I've lost.

If you change the position of your feet, you can change the reading on the scale as well ..
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options

So what do you eat?
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    tinklemar wrote: »

So what do you eat?

I think she was being sarcastic. But who knows. These forums have left me pretty jaded.
  • cheyenne6931
    Options
    ha! I agree!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You created a deficit through cutting these items. A deficit created while still eating these foods would work just as well.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Or maybe new batteries in the scale. That's the first thing I'd check.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Yeah putting the scale in a different spot, using a different scale, weighing at a different time of day or wearing different clothes can change what number you get. Use the same scale in the same spot at the same time of day wearing something similar.

Also, take body measurements with a tape measure. This month the number on the scale hasn't changed much for me but my measurements did change.