Not losing weight

Options
I am not losing weight, I am getting a little frustrated, but on the other hand clothes are starting to fit better. Could it be because I am using weights and not doing as much cardio? I have been doing this for about a month now...any help or suggestions?

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you weigh your food using a food scale? If not, you are eating more than you think you are.

ETA: Please open your diary.
  • Susan0279
    Susan0279 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, I do use a food scale I just opened up my diary
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lots of days with only partial logging. Work on consistency. If you only track 1-2 meals 4-5 days each week, you don't know how much your'e consuming or if you're in a deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Yes, if the weight lifting is new then it's possible that you're still retaining water from it, which can play havoc with the scale for a couple of weeks. But, going back through your diary for the past month, I see 18 days that seem to be only partially logged. Are you keeping track somewhere else or are you really eating so little on those particular days?
  • Fat_Girl_Gone
    Fat_Girl_Gone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is your diary correct or is it partial. If it's correct you are eating no where near enough calories and will be in starvation mode. If it's only partial, that will be why you're not losing, you're not logging accurately so are probably going over.
  • Susan0279
    Options
    To be totally honest, I don't complete my logging all the time. I will start working on that first.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's not unheard of to lose inches before losing pounds. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're toning up muscles and burning fat, you could easily see the scale not move but feel your clothes being loose.

Also, when you start a new workout regimen your body will retain water to repair the muscles, with could also account for the same scale reading.

Keep at it!
  • Fat_Girl_Gone
    Fat_Girl_Gone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Susan0279 wrote: »
    To be totally honest, I don't complete my logging all the time. I will start working on that first.

Sort that and the rest will follow xx
  • MrsRuh
    MrsRuh Posts: 9
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    It's not unheard of to lose inches before losing pounds. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're toning up muscles and burning fat, you could easily see the scale not move but feel your clothes being loose.

Also, when you start a new workout regimen your body will retain water to repair the muscles, with could also account for the same scale reading.

Keep at it!

This ^. I'm in week two of being back on track with regular exercise and logging. If you are sore, you are retaining water in your muscles. Keep at it, exercise, log daily, and give a regimen a month and then reassess or you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
  • Susan0279
    Options
    Thank you all for all the suggestions!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weights, and losing inches but not pounds, it's very likely that you're gaining a little muscle and losing fat. Personally, I think losing inches is a lot better than losing pounds. I'd rather be smaller than see a lower number on a scale that no one else can see.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Badger wrote: »
    Susan0279 wrote: »

Sort that and the rest will follow xx

Yes this. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight this. You will not know it you are if you don't log everything you eat every day. It works. Trust us! Good luck.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If you're lifting weights, and losing inches but not pounds, it's very likely that you're gaining a little muscle and losing fat. Personally, I think losing inches is a lot better than losing pounds. I'd rather be smaller than see a lower number on a scale that no one else can see.

This! I've had weeks where I've maintained or even gained a little weight, but lost inches. I'll take the tape measure going down over the scale going down ANY day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're probably eating more than you think, and exercising less than you think