No Glutes & Stomach Fat..HELP :(

Options
Hey Everyone!

I am a 25 year old female, 5'9.5, who use to weigh about 250lbs. I am now down to 158lbs, and have done so in the last two years through an abundance of exercise and diet.

It is to the point now, where I still have quite a bit of stomach fat, love handles, and practically no behind. It's making me quite insecure and I don't know what to do to help this issue.

I work out roughly 5 times a week, do 20 minutes of uphill, fast pace, walking- cardio/ day - 15.0 interval at 4.1 speed, do weights for about 45 minutes, and eat roughly 1700 calories a day.

I'm having a difficult time engaging my glutes, as any time I do an exercise, I rarely feel any strain there. My lower body is in great shape, in terms of my legs..but again, my glutes are practically non existent. I have noticed great improvement to my arms, so those are not an issue at this point.

I am not trying to lose any more weight in terms of getting "smaller," I like the thickness in my legs,and do not want to lose that.

Essentially my goal is to: lose stomach fat/love handles, gain an *kitten*, without getting smaller.

If any one has any suggestions as to HOW I can regulate all of this, I would be so appreciative.

Thanks a bunch.

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats and deadlifts will help out with the glutes a lot. I'm actually scared mine are going to get too big :/

You need to lower your overall bodyfat % to get rid of the stomach fat. There's no targeting specific areas.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Google up some info on "quad dominance" and "gluteal amnesia," and you will find not only some good weightlifting advice but also some good physical therapy advice for some exercises to reactivate the glutes (there are three separate muscles you need to work). There are some areas to focus on for stretching too, because the quad dominance screws up your alignment and tightens up your hip flexors, etc.

I have the same issue, and so far I've added more lower body stretching (hips, quads, hams and IT band), clamshells, hip dips (for gluteus minimus) and some adduction with a cable machine (a band works too). I also use a foam roller at least daily. And I may back off on squats (quad dominant) and focus on increasing my deadlifts until I start to feel some results.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, for sure. They'll even help build up your abs although you'll need to cut bodyfat to pretty low numbers for those to come out.

Deadlifts, all day long. Not literally all day long, of course. I think you'd be shocked at how much you could pull off the floor with good form. You can start out with dumbbells if you can't manage the bar with plates but... I bet you can manage the bar with plates.

And buy some gloves if you want to avoid calluses (the purists will crucify me for suggesting gloves).
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, for sure. They'll even help build up your abs although you'll need to cut bodyfat to pretty low numbers for those to come out.

Deadlifts, all day long. Not literally all day long, of course. I think you'd be shocked at how much you could pull off the floor with good form. You can start out with dumbbells if you can't manage the bar with plates but... I bet you can manage the bar with plates.

And buy some gloves if you want to avoid calluses (the purists will crucify me for suggesting gloves).

Agree. Deadlifts for the glutes. And hip thrusts.

Also, I use gloves. I'm all about a nice *kitten*. Not torn up hands. Thanks.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The Strong Curves program is glute-based. There are several variations of it depending on your goals and whether you want a full body routine or just glute based. I chose the glutes only advanced workout and am almost through the first stage--definitely notice a difference already. The PDFs are free if you google for them.