Replies

• hilbertgirl
    Options
    You will lose faster if you don't eat them back
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    milkydud85 wrote: »
    i usually just eat 1200 calories i never eat what i have burned because i want to lose weight unless if i wanna cheat then i will go into what i just burned but overall i dont go in to the calories i just burned... :wink:

If you eat what you actually burned (not an overestimated amount), you will still lose weight. MFP's goal is designed to put you at a deficit even before exercise is added. If you are eating 1,200 and not eating any of the calories you burn, you are netting below 1,200 and that can be quite unhealthy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You will lose faster if you don't eat them back

Depending on how many calories you wind up netting, you can also wind up exhausted or unable to exercise at full capacity.

Net calories are important.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back all of mine because I figure I either didn't account correctly in what i've eaten or didn't really burn all those calories.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat back some if I'm hungry. If I'm not I don't worry about it. :)
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Ok first things first

Get a food scale if you already don't have one and make sure you're accurately weighing/portioning your food. Most people don't do this and when they start they realize they've been eating more than what they log. Get some measuring cups that you'll actually use as well.

Second off, people on MFP are *kitten*. Just like there are *kitten* in real life MFP is no different. Let them do theirs and you do yours.

Third, As far as eating back your calories like some others have said if you're at 1,200 and you're doing a lot of exercise it'd be best to eat back some of the calories just make sure again you're checking your portions. Buy a heart rate monitor so that you can accurately track how much you're actually doing. MFP over estimates in my opinion.

Everything is about tracking so if you guess what good are you doing?

Most importantly take it slow, it took you a long time to get where you're at. If you're pushing your body too hard you'll injure yourself and end up quitting which will suck. Most important part about getting in shape (losing weight) is the diet.

There are a ton of recipes/resources for you here at MFP. Just don't get discouraged by slow results, *kitten*, or anything else. It's more a mental thing than a physical and more than likely you'll slip and make mistakes but starting the next day just try a little harder.

Some people allow themselves a cheat day if you think this would work for you then go for it. If not then don't, everyone is different and most the people are here for support (remember mental) so don't feel dumb for asking any questions. I would however recommend using the search feature before asking to see if others have had the same question.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    alligray4 wrote: »
    lowendfuzz wrote: »
    whats your height/weight and activity level?

I'm 40, weigh 190, 5'8" tall and I'm doing cardio 5-6 days a week and strength training 3-4 days.

With that amount of exercise 1200 is completely insufficient.
    Eat them back the way this site is designed.
    Would seriously consider setting a less aggressive rate of weight loss too.

Beware there are a load of people who seem to believe fast weight loss is good weight loss - wonder if they will think the same when (or if) they get to goal and are disappointed with how they look?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm 40, weigh 190, 5'8" tall and I'm doing cardio 5-6 days a week and strength training 3-4 days.

Beware there are a load of people who seem to believe fast weight loss is good weight loss - wonder if they will think the same when (or if) they get to goal and are disappointed with how they look?

So is what you are saying that with slower weight loss your body will look better when you reach goal? Is there a scientific reason for this? Sorry, I seriously don't know and am curious.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I always cut 10-50% of my time working out, plus if I think the exercise calories are still too high, I reduce them down (for example from 320 to 300). That way my food diary doesn't tell me I have a lot of calories left over when I know I don't. I think the older you are, the less you should eat back exercise calories.
  • alligray4
    Options
    davidcliff wrote: »
    I don't eat back all of mine because I figure I either didn't account correctly in what i've eaten or didn't really burn all those calories.
    Ok first things first

Get a food scale if you already don't have one and make sure you're accurately weighing/portioning your food. Most people don't do this and when they start they realize they've been eating more than what they log. Get some measuring cups that you'll actually use as well.

Second off, people on MFP are *kitten*. Just like there are *kitten* in real life MFP is no different. Let them do theirs and you do yours.

Third, As far as eating back your calories like some others have said if you're at 1,200 and you're doing a lot of exercise it'd be best to eat back some of the calories just make sure again you're checking your portions. Buy a heart rate monitor so that you can accurately track how much you're actually doing. MFP over estimates in my opinion.

Everything is about tracking so if you guess what good are you doing?

Most importantly take it slow, it took you a long time to get where you're at. If you're pushing your body too hard you'll injure yourself and end up quitting which will suck. Most important part about getting in shape (losing weight) is the diet.

There are a ton of recipes/resources for you here at MFP. Just don't get discouraged by slow results, *kitten*, or anything else. It's more a mental thing than a physical and more than likely you'll slip and make mistakes but starting the next day just try a little harder.

Some people allow themselves a cheat day if you think this would work for you then go for it. If not then don't, everyone is different and most the people are here for support (remember mental) so don't feel dumb for asking any questions. I would however recommend using the search feature before asking to see if others have had the same question.

Thank you so much! I use a polar heart rate monitor and weigh the foods I eat, most of the time. I am getting a ton of good feedback, so I don't let the haters get to me. ;)
  • alligray4
    Options

Thank you!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

So is what you are saying that with slower weight loss your body will look better when you reach goal? Is there a scientific reason for this? Sorry, I seriously don't know and am curious.
    Your body has limits on how much fat it can oxidise to make up for the calorie deficit. The fatter you are the larger the deficit you withstand before your body has to take those calories from your lean mass.
    With an already large deficit making that deficit even larger with up to 10 exercise sessions could see more muscle being lost than necessary.
    Apart from that it's going to be hard to get sufficient nutrition to support that level of exercise and recovery from exercise - a good recipe for burn out.

People talk about weight loss when really they should aim for fat loss and lean mass retention.

People select a deficit (often too aggressive) which doesn't account for exercise and then instead of trying to hit that goal try to undercut it.

Well worth reading....
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If 1200 calories represents a calorie deficit to lose weight, eating back exercise calories will keep you from losing lean mass (muscle, etc). Figure that if you ran a marathon and ate only 1200 calories, you'd drop dead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

Your body has limits on how much fat it can oxidise to make up for the calorie deficit. The fatter you are the larger the deficit you withstand before your body has to take those calories from you lean mass.
    With an already large deficit making that deficit even larger with up to 10 exercise sessions could see more muscle being lost than necessary.
    Apart from that it's going to be hard to get sufficient nutrition to support that level of exercise and recovery from exercise - a good recipe for burn out.

People talk about weight loss when really they should aim for fat loss and lean mass retention.

People select a deficit (often too aggressive) which doesn't account for exercise and then instead of trying to hit that goal try to undercut it.

Well worth reading....
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

tumblr_inline_nihg592RjD1shrb8p.gif
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed info! I certainly don't wish to lose lean mass, so slow and steady is the way to go.

I thought perhaps it had something to do with the elasticity of the skin and ability to "snap" back to where it used to be (should be). I've seen people with a great deal of weight loss having a lot of loose skin, while others with similar amounts of loss just look amazing without that skin issue.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I typically don't unless it is a long run day. I will however listen to my body. If it is truly giving me hunger signals and not boredom then I may eat back some.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've used multiple online 'exercise calculators' to compare my exercise and MFP is consistently one of the most 'generous' for the number of calories burned. So I'd be very cautious about 'eating them back'.