Tips for running endurance??

Options
i ran my 2nd 5k today (ran my first one last sunday)...my times for both were 38 minutes. i did the c25k program to get ready and found that although it prepared me to run 20-30 minutes, it did NOT ready me to run 3.1 miles (i'm short and out of shape)...anybody have any tips to help me build my endurance so i don't poop out after mile 2?

Replies

• emilydaisy
    emilydaisy Posts: 1
    Options
    Try alternating running fast and walking. Run 2 or 3 minutes fast and then walk for 1 minute to recover. If you do this for 30-40 minutes, you will build up endurance. Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Rinse & repeat C25K. Keep doing it until 3 miles is no big deal. Also, walking 3 miles daily is a big help. If you start training for a 10k, your 5k will improve as far as endurance goes. Diet is crucial when you're deciding to pursue the path of a runner. You gots to fuel your ferrari properly, dude ;)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    you just gotta keep running...the distance will come :-)
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Congratulations on your 2 5Ks!

I'm not sure how C25K works... but try doing run/walk -- you can decide on the length of times for the run and walk -- maybe run 5mins walk 1min and repeat. This will help you to build endurance.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    you just gotta keep running...the distance will come :-)

This! Basically just map out your route and aim to go a little bit further each week.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I second interval training. Jog/run fast for a min then walk until your heart slows back down, then repeat. The better you get you can switch the jogging for sprinting and then the walking for jogging.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Interval training is a good way to increase speed and endurance. Give it a shot once a week and then an another day of interval training after three to four weeks. I'd recommend a 10 minute slow jog, and then running for 30 seconds, then recover at a slow jog for 90 seconds and repeat that five times. Then do another 10 minute slow jog recovery. After week two or three, you can do one minute runs and one minute recovery jogs.

Building up your endurance base takes time, but you'll get there.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    As with all run training, you need to do two different types of runs during the week to improve your endurance. Twice a week during the week, do speed work. Try running as fast as you can for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds (here, your C25K app will come in handy all over again). If you aren't too knackered, you can do your 60 second sprints followed by 90 seconds or 2 minutes of jogging. Repeat 5 more times.

Then, once a week, do a longer, slow run to build up your endurance. If you can currently run 5km, aim for 5.5km next weekend. Then 6km. Slowly build up the distance and your speedwork during the week will also help decrease the amount of time it takes you to complete these distances.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Add some sprint training to your program. Increase your long run each week by about 10%. And then add a couple of tempo runs or easy runs.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    As with all run training, you need to do two different types of runs during the week to improve your endurance. Twice a week during the week, do speed work. Try running as fast as you can for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds (here, your C25K app will come in handy all over again). If you aren't too knackered, you can do your 60 second sprints followed by 90 seconds or 2 minutes of jogging. Repeat 5 more times.

Then, once a week, do a longer, slow run to build up your endurance. If you can currently run 5km, aim for 5.5km next weekend. Then 6km. Slowly build up the distance and your speedwork during the week will also help decrease the amount of time it takes you to complete these distances.

this sounds manageable! and also right with what i was thinking i needed to do...thanks everyone! i'm going to try doing a little speed work (as "speedy" as i can be, lol) this week and see how that feels...
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    Add some sprint training to your program. Increase your long run each week by about 10%. And then add a couple of tempo runs or easy runs.

what is a tempo run?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

what is a tempo run?

A tempo run is where you do a run or a portion of a run at a pace faster than your training pace. Your race time was a little shy of a 13 minute mile. Your training pace for your easy runs and maybe your long run might be a 16 minute mile. (I don't know, I'm not a trainer, I'm using examples) Your tempo run would be something like a 14.5 minute mile.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

I would use that link to determine what your pace should be for the various workouts people might reference. I know it's helped me a bunch to determine what levels I should be training at for increased performance.

@ a 38 min 5k, it says:

Endurance Workouts Pace/Mile Pace/K
    Recovery Jogs 15:39 to 16:09 9:44 to 10:03
    Long Runs 14:39 to 15:39 9:07 to 9:44
    Easy Runs 14:39 to 15:09 9:07 to 9:26

Stamina Workouts Pace/Mile Pace/K
    Steady-State Runs 13:25 to 13:49 8:20 to 8:35
    Tempo Runs 12:52 to 13:25 7:59 to 8:20
    Tempo Intervals 12:41 to 13:07 7:53 to 8:09
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Build endurance before building speed. The better endurance base you have, the more you will be able to get out of your speed workouts.
    Try finding a pace that allows you to run for a long time. You can even take walk breaks, to allow yourself to go farther, but don't confuse these walk breaks with an interval walk break. This is just allowing you time on your feet.
    Throw in some tempo runs where you warm up, then run at a "comfortable hard" pace., then cool down You only want to push it a little bit. Over time the time you push it will increase.
    Then worry about speed.