Yoga and Catharsis (Emotional Fitness?)

Options
Vune
Vune Posts: 673 Member
I'm just looking for feedback from those who have experienced an intensely uncontrollable outpouring of emotion from their yoga practice.

I've had a bad few years. I've dealt with abuse, homelessness, the loss of a parent, estrangement from friends on top of all the medical issues that have always been a part of being me. I've done yoga on and off over the years, and I even have a mat tucked away in the corner of my room.

It seems like an obvious match, but I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid of everything. I hate leaving the house, and I only enjoy the company of my partner. I cry at the drop of a hat (hey, no hat deserves that kind of treatment). Social injustice, I cry. Teegan and Sara ft. The Lonely Island singing "Everything is Awesome" at the Oscars, I cry. I cried at the opthamologist last week because I couldn't sit still for the pressure test. I'm a pro at uncomfortable medical tests.

This life isn't working. I have difficulty taking medications for my bipolar because I have a kidney transplant. Therapy has been happening for over a year, and it's not stopping for probably the rest of my life. Doctors are my full time job, and I'm sharing every change I make with them.

Um...I've also been having trouble focusing, and forgot exactly why I started writing all this. I guess it's to..oh, yeah...feedback. How did you find the strength to let go of your past? I fear that I'm just going to get there and be so overwhelmed like I always am that the tears just won't stop. Does it get to the point where an instructor will be like "Maybe you just need some ECT."

I'm looking at Yin and Restorative classes to start. I don't want to ruin anyone else's practice, and I really can't afford private practice, but home practice isn't an option, either. I'm checking for free community classes for troubled women, as well (never thought I'd be one of those...), but the worry is still the same. And I'm always going to be worried about it unless I do it.

And advice from people who have been (or still are) yoga cryers? If I stop in for a first visit and melt, will the instructor let me know if it's an appropriate studio/class for me, or will I have to ask on my own. I know it sounds childish and a normal adult shouldn't be experiencing these things, but I'm trying to solve them.

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have been to yoga classes where people cry. It doesn't bother me, I just hope that whomever is crying is able to find peace with whatever is bothering them. If someone feels their practice is ruined by you then that is their own problem and I wouldn't worry about it.

I hope that you are able to find the peace you are looking for, it is not as elusive as you think.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing all the awesome self-care stuff that you are right now!

I'm not a yoga crier myself, because I don't do yoga. But I'm going to send you a PM because I think I have some resources that might help!
  • Vune
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me out.
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're hoping to find some kindred spirits and while I may not cry during yoga practice I do have a sense of peace that I've never felt anywhere else ever during/after yoga practice so I can understand to an extent how emotional it can be. I feel like it might be a good idea to talk to an instructor before class and voice your concerns and see what she says. I really do not think that you will effect anyone elses practice. That's a huge part of yoga.. being focused in on your OWN practice and not worrying about what everyone else is doing/thinking/etc. Please don't let these concerns hold you back. I hope you find what you need!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Here's one little thing I have experienced - if your intent is on healing, then the activities you pursue will help you heal. If I went to yoga, everyone else would probably cry...but IMO you'll know pretty quickly from people's reactions whether you found the 'right' class for you.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I cry after yoga. But it takes a couple of hours to catch up with me. I spoke with my instructor and she said it's completely normal. If you're concerned then I would suggest talking to the instructor first.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't cry during yoga, but I attend a class regularly and if someone did cry, it wouldn't upset me? I mean I'd be concerned and hope everything was okay but it wouldn't stop me from going to yoga or anything.

I also recommend Tai Chi if you're looking for healing kinds of things. Mind if I friend you?
  • Vune
    Options
    Mind if I friend you?

Of course not! Anyone is welcome.

Talking to the instructor is a definite prerequisite. In addition to putting so many toxic substances into my body for my kidney transplant and being sliced open from head to toe, my rare disease also causes hearing impairment.

And I ugly cry. I think I managed a kind of pretty, poetic, silent cry at one point, but I'm really just a trainwreck of sobbing and snot.