Exercise problem! Please help

Options
I live in a fairly small neighborhood with limited walking space, and exercising is difficult enough for me without walking in endless circles around my house. I also have a couple Boston Terriers who walk with me, but there are sidewalks that are very narrow, barely enough for one person carrying a dog (or two) against oncoming traffic to walk safely, so I was wondering:

What outside exercise could a single person and a couple dogs do to maximize calorie burning? I don't mind walking, but it's not enough. I have no nearby friends who could help (ex: play a game of football) I only live ten minutes from the park and I want to do more than stand there and throw a ball at the dog park all day. I have no weights and don't want to run in place, or stay cooped up inside all day, but I'm really out of ideas! Any thoughts?

Replies

• simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try TurboFire! :) Msg me for deets if you want.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    How about some body weight excercises? When you throw the ball and are waiting for the dog to bring it back do sets of lunges, squats, planks whatever. Google body weight excercises...there are lots!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool in the summer, swimming is one of the very best exercises. It works your entire body, and burns a ton of calories.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Outdoor? With the dogs? My dog LOVES to be chased :-)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Does that park have a playground for the kiddos? You can do loads on those things. Pull ups, step ups, push ups, monkey bars, dips, etc....
  • lady95
    lady95 Posts: 46
    Options
    Does that park have a playground for the kiddos? You can do loads on those things. Pull ups, step ups, push ups, monkey bars, dips, etc....

No, the dog park is just a fenced field. There's a table to sit and not much else. The field isn't even that big. I've tired walking laps around it while the dogs play and it takes me about 45 seconds to circle the whole thing at a brisk pace. I hate the whole "running in circles" thing, so that didn't work.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options

No, the dog park is just a fenced field. There's a table to sit and not much else. The field isn't even that big. I've tired walking laps around it while the dogs play and it takes me about 45 seconds to circle the whole thing at a brisk pace. I hate the whole "running in circles" thing, so that didn't work.

Could you use the table as an exercise tool? Our tables at the parks are usually cemented into the ground. My friend and I would do tricep dips, pushups, situps on top the the table, step ups, a modified plank and so forth. Maybe sprint from one end to the other end of the park and do a set of exercises with the table and so forth.
  • lady95
    Options

Could you use the table as an exercise tool? Our tables at the parks are usually cemented into the ground. My friend and I would do tricep dips, pushups, situps on top the the table, step ups, a modified plank and so forth. Maybe sprint from one end to the other end of the park and do a set of exercises with the table and so forth.

It's possible, but I'd have to get there on a day when there's no one there but me. It's a hotspot for the elderly and at-home mothers in my neighborhood, so I don't think sprinting would be all that good - I might mow over a child or an annoyingly small dog.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of exercise that might take place outside the park.
  • MerryKhaos
    MerryKhaos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you have roller skates or roller blades? Instead of walking you can actually use some wheels! Also, look into doing different sprints - track and field style. High knees, butt kicks, grapevines, etc. If your park has a football field with bleachers, even better!!

Otherwise, maybe get some hand weights or ankle weights (or make some!! Use water bottles or I've used large jugs or text books!) and use them while you walk to up the resistance. If there's a jungle gym do pull ups!

I also like the idea of holding a squat while the dog is chasing hte ball ^_^
  • lady95
    Options
    Do you have roller skates or roller blades? Instead of walking you can actually use some wheels! Also, look into doing different sprints - track and field style. High knees, butt kicks, grapevines, etc. If your park has a football field with bleachers, even better!!

Otherwise, maybe get some hand weights or ankle weights (or make some!! Use water bottles or I've used large jugs or text books!) and use them while you walk to up the resistance. If there's a jungle gym do pull ups!

I also like the idea of holding a squat while the dog is chasing hte ball ^_^

I like the idea of getting some skates. Does rollerblading burn more calories than simply walking?