protein powder ?

Options
kaylala1202
kaylala1202 Posts: 7 Member
I'm looking for protein powders for my smoothies. I heard whey protein isolate is bad for you. Opinions ? Any type of protein powder that is good but not too expensive? :)

Replies

• jburt13
    jburt13 Posts: 1
    Options
    My sister-in-law recommended one that has electrolytes, probiotics, vitamins, collagen...I like it better than any other I've tried. I bought in Amazon or you can go to their site. Natures Bounty Complete protein and vitamin shake.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    first why and how is protein isolate bad for you? secondly when would you be drinking said smoothie? Will it be a meal replacement? Before bed?

before bed I would do casein protein as it is slow digestion. Regular smoothie or meal replacement I would use Whey, and or a hybrid protein like BSN Syntha-6 which has whey, egg, etc proteins.
  • pamcotney
    pamcotney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest Muscle Milk Light...all the flavors are so yummy and all the flavors mix well with fruits and kale and stuff :-) I actually mix my BCAA powder with my Muscle Milk Light, sounds gross but its not - OH! and for extra protein try Muscle Milk Light with raw egg whites with water ( really good )
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate. It's among the more affordable ones out there and generally very well regarded.

I've never heard that isolate is bad for you. Sometimes people experience bloating with whey protein concentrate, but the 100% isolates are generally OK.
  • Fatgirlontheloose
    Fatgirlontheloose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like premier protein and/or isopure. Whey protein is the best for you because it's the easiest for your body to break down, meaning your body will absorb it the best. I really like the protein drinks that are already mixed, but they are pretty expensive. I would recommend adding sugar free coffee syrups or instant coffee to the powders. None of the powders are really "good" tasting some are more tolerable though. You gotta experiment with them
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Fortress whey protein powder (Walmart) since it's the lowest cost I've found. Chocolate is good mixed with milk. I enhance the flavor with Hershey's dark chocolate powder, vanilla and some artificial sweetener. Add ice and blend at Warp 9 and you get <250 calorie milk shake that ain't half bad. Also, if you mix the powder in with greek vanilla yogurt you get chocolate mousse.
  • molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Devils advocate: don't do any- they're filled with synthetic chemicals and fake flavors. Instead, eat more protein in your diet. Throw an avocado in there or soak some cashews and add them. YUM.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use isopure zero carb. not daily but I am not a breakfast person so it helps me get a morning meal in.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Whey protein Isolate is only bad for you if your Lactose Intolerant, but there are other kinds for those people. I wont go into it but here's an article from Bodybuilding.com. down below.
    By the way I recommend GNC's Extreme 60 or the stuff I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard which you can buy also at GNC. remember though when it comes to protein you get what you pay for, stay away from the cheap stuff. its lumpy and poor quality and doesnt mix well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink3.htm

• oliverprocter50
    Options
    I have Iso 97%, Egg, and Micellar Casein, then mix them in the proportions that are preferred for the time of day. Your partly right that the body has a hard time dealing with lots of Iso, as the body can only absorb so much per meal, thats why its best to mix it with egg and casein, so its time released (in-effect). I use myprotein.co.uk however Syntha 6 (Not sure of its carb/filler (BCAAs etc) content) is a decent alternative as is JYM. I would calculate your bodies ability to deal with amounts per meal, there is an equation somewhere, that means you won't add too much, as its not cheap, and the serving sizes are generic (on the high side to sell more). It should only be used as a substitute to food, not a replacement. Food is the best option, but supplements make life easier!
  • oliverprocter50
    Options
    PS calculate the cost/gram of protein. Many use a lot of fillers and cheap carbs, maltodextrin etc. anything over 90% protein is decent, and look to see if there are added BCAAs/Glutamine/any other Aminos, they add these which actually allows them to advertise a high protein content, whereas its just added cheaper aminos, rather than a whey/casein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    where did you hear that whey isolate is bad for you...it's about as pure protein as you can get.
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition 100% whey is my preference <3
  • oliverprocter50
    Options
    mandychowx wrote: »
    Optimum nutrition 100% whey is my preference <3

Except its 79%
  • lmazar
    lmazar Posts: 1
    Options