Where to start with macro goals?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    MrsRuh wrote: »
    I'll just call my trainer a liar and just leave this here then. I'm never claimed to be an expert, just trying to help based off of what I've been told and have read myself.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbprotein.htm

So is a 300-pound person trying to lose weight supposed to eat 300 grams of protein? That's constipation waiting to happen!

Pretty sure the article or one of its references addresses this, specifically to that weight actually. 300lbs should intake the maximum allowance of 200grams. Anymore than that and your kidneys will not work they way they should.

So what you're saying is...you were wrong?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Macros are important, but in the grand scheme of weight loss, calories come first. I mean, if you were bodybuilding, yes, your macros would need to be specific to that goal. But if you're just wanting to lose some weight, calories take precedence.

I do 40/30/30. I feel better when I have more protein than what MFP says I should. But it's a matter of preference.

I also do 40/30/30 because more protein keeps me full and I lift heavy things pretty often. I'm not super fanatical about it though - I have days when I don't hit the full protein allotment. I've found that as long as I get 100-110g a day, I'm pretty good.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll just call my trainer a liar and just leave this here then. I'm never claimed to be an expert, just trying to help based off of what I've been told and have read myself.

So is a 300-pound person trying to lose weight supposed to eat 300 grams of protein? That's constipation waiting to happen!

Pretty sure the article or one of its references addresses this, specifically to that weight actually. 300lbs should intake the maximum allowance of 200grams. Anymore than that and your kidneys will not work they way they should.

This is from the calculator on the page based off my current BW:

ohgxqXG.jpg
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Macros are important, but in the grand scheme of weight loss, calories come first. I mean, if you were bodybuilding, yes, your macros would need to be specific to that goal. But if you're just wanting to lose some weight, calories take precedence.

I do 40/30/30. I feel better when I have more protein than what MFP says I should. But it's a matter of preference.

I also do 40/30/30 because more protein keeps me full and I lift heavy things pretty often. I'm not super fanatical about it though - I have days when I don't hit the full protein allotment. I've found that as long as I get 100-110g a day, I'm pretty good.

Same. I suck at getting my 30% of protein, but I try!
  • PRMinx
    Options

The days where I do hit the full goal, I'm so full I can't stand it haha. Also, I'm pretty sure if I ate my body weight in protein every day (136g) I wouldn't poop ever again.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, good to hear lots of points of view!

If I'm stuggling to hit my current protein goals (60 g), could that be causing me to lose muscle over fat?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Docmahi wrote: »
    My trainer was just explaining this to me this morning and went in and reset all of my goals because I'm in the same boat. Protein, protein, protein. If you are exercising that much, the ideal amount of protein intake is 1gram per pound of body weight. This helps give you energy and retain your muscle while shedding body fat. Stick with a regular healthy diet and supplement protein for your snacks to make up the deficit without adding a ton of calories into the mix. I particularly enjoy Cellucor Whey Protien, it mixes well without clumps and their flavors are amazing. Set your protein to that its close to your body weight and adjust the other macros accordingly.

My name is chris - ppl tell me i know things about the body

your trainer is an idiot, and linking BB.com articles does not make arguments more valid... 1gm per pound of total bodyweight is overkill on protein - but thats just my opinion and im sure that trainer is sooooper legit

To the OP - you need to figure out what macros work for you - use any macro calculator and get a baseline of what you should be shooting for; for instance say at 130ish pounds it tells you to eat 200g carbs, 125protein and 60 fat (I'm totally making up these numbers) do that for two weeks - if you maintained and hit those exact macros correctly using a scale you now have a baseline - if you want to lose weight drop your carbs a little bit from the baseline (nothing drastic maybe 25g of carbs) and see how you do the next week - if you lost then great keep it going if not maybe you need to up your exercise or decrease the cals further - that choice is yours. Lifting heavy will give you the body you want, you will be lean you will have visible abs and a skinny waist, you will not be bulky, your booty will look amazing and you will feel stronger

See bolded: Also known as the "MD b-slap"
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

oh good grief *bangs head against the wall* - I guess i have to go relearn medicine
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

If I'm stuggling to hit my current protein goals (60 g), could that be causing me to lose muscle over fat?

That protein goal is likely a bit low for you based on what you described.

However, it's not clear you're losing muscle over fat. Are you using some sort of electrical impedance scale or handheld tester to determine BF%? If so, IMHO, ignore it.

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

I am currently doing a 50/30/70 split. I get all my protein, all the time.

That's right, I eat 150% of my daily intake, everyday.

suw3scpn7y5t.jpg
  • PRMinx
    edited March 2015
    Options

Whenever you lose weight, you lose both fat and muscle. But, protein is great for muscle building and it is also more satiating so you feel full longer eating more protein. If you are doing a strength program (which you should because it's good for you), then eating more protein in combination with said strength program will help you preserve more muscle mass.

ETA: Just noticed you have some strength incorporated into your workouts. You would probably benefit from getting more protein into your diet. And, please know that heavy lifting will not make you bulky.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

This is from the calculator on the page based off my current BW:

ohgxqXG.jpg

I tried the calculator as well. It doesn't ask any of the questions I feel would be relevant. I also got a goal of 200-300g of protein. WAY more than I should be eating.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

at 130 pounds with 28% BF - you would have a lean body mass of 93.6 lbs - if you can eat about 60g of protein a day you aren't far from the .8 g/lb lean body mass that the mother of dragons up there was referencing

best thing to do is just read as much as you can from credible sources OP - and stick with it, takes time to figure all this stuff out - sorry for hijacking your thread a bit

• erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

However, it's not clear you're losing muscle over fat. Are you using some sort of electrical impedance scale or handheld tester to determine BF%? If so, IMHO, ignore it.

What would you suggest for a protein goal? My BF% logging comes from the scale I have at home that lists total body weight, hydration percentage, BF percentage, and BMI. Not exactly sure if it's an "electrical impedance" type though...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

What would you suggest for a protein goal? My BF% logging comes from the scale I have at home that lists total body weight, hydration percentage, BF percentage, and BMI. Not exactly sure if it's an "electrical impedance" type though...

Yeah, that scale won't be all that accurate for BF%.

As for your protein goal, you can manually change your macro goals where you set your calorie goal. Do some research about macros and how they line up with your goals and decide from there. If you're having trouble getting protein, google "good protein sources" or something like that.
  • your_pal_crusher
    your_pal_crusher Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Actually if you truly want to beast up, it should be total body weight. Just check my gainz....

19v4yt4ss836.jpg

Awesome.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about this too.

I weigh 107 lbs, at about 24% body fat. 1g per lb of LBM puts me at around 82g.

To set my macros the MFP way, that puts me at about 40/20/40. Is that nuts?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

That is bioelectrical impedence. They are inaccurate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh wise ones please help!! This protein question has befuddled me since the dawn of time!!!
    I have no idea what my LBM is. I'm age 43, 5"8 and 140lbs. possibly want to get down to 132lbs. I have my protein set at 145g per day, which to me sounds like a lot. Oh, and i'm sedentary, i get 10,000 steps in most days, but that's about it.

Can somebody please throw me a number i should stick too :flowerforyou: :#
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar to you so I'll tell what I do. I run, do Bodypump, abs class (less mills CX), and bootcamp each week. I run about 100mi/month. I'm 5'6" and went from 138 with about 25% bf to now 119 at 17%bf. I kept the default MFP goals for a long time and just developed eating habits I could maintain. Then I looked at my macro trends and set goals based off the trends. My goals are now 60% carbs 15% protein, 25% fat. My trend is about 40-55gr protein/day. I set these goals based on the way I enjoy eating and what gives me the most energy and keeps me full all day. I have to mention though that my macros are based on mainly foods I process myself. I make my own bread out of whole wheat flour, make my own almond milk, get calcium through eggshells I dry and crush myself, make my own protein powder, jam, etc. I eat this way 90% of the time. This is what works for me. If your eating habits are different or if carbs consist of more refined flours, you may feel more full off of more protein. You don't need to eat tons of protein to build muscle and lose fat though. Just eat right and at a deficit.