working out with injuries

Options
hi all, i just joined a gym and im trying to do upper body work outs but i have a bad injury with my right arm and shoulder so it makes it really hard to do normal things, now i wanted to streghten my arm again cuz i lost all my mussle with all the surgeries but i can't do much with machine cuz one arm is very strong and one is very week any suggestions what i could do that could help?

Replies

• runningmommie
    Options
    I would recommend you consult your doctor or PT before proceeding with anything. You want to make sure you are doing the right exercises to strengthen the arm and not re-injure it.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk with a physical therapist, and if your gym offers training I would ask one of them what you can do to strengthen as well. You might also consider isometrics, where you isolate and tense the muscle, but don't move it. I had knee surgery a year ago and had to change how I work out too. I swim a ton now, because I move the knee without putting stress on the joint.
  • Jenn421
    Jenn421 Posts: 56
    Options
    i tired swimming last yr a few months after all the fun of breaking my arm but it hurt too much i havnt really been doing too much with my arm other then working