Where to start with yoga?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've seen DDP Yoga recommended as a good starting point for beginners (I've never done it before) and wanted to see if anyone here has any suggestions. I'm not sure I want to jump straight into a class, unless that's the best way. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    The best way is to start with a class. Many studios offer beginner's classes, so you wouldn't be the only one.
  • nateandrews
    Options
    yoginimary wrote: »
    The best way is to start with a class. Many studios offer beginner's classes, so you wouldn't be the only one.

That's good to hear. I was most likely going to go that route.
  • baileyh_
    baileyh_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Nate!

I highly recommend just going to a class. I had tried to do at home yoga tapes for a long time, but could never get the form right and just wasn't benefiting. The second I went to a real class, I really experienced yoga at its finest, got the help I needed with form, and most of all, I got the real atmosphere of a class. It's the best. You'll love it!

:) Bailey
  • nateandrews
    Options
    baileyh_ wrote: »
    Hi Nate!

I highly recommend just going to a class. I had tried to do at home yoga tapes for a long time, but could never get the form right and just wasn't benefiting. The second I went to a real class, I really experienced yoga at its finest, got the help I needed with form, and most of all, I got the real atmosphere of a class. It's the best. You'll love it!

:) Bailey

Thanks Bailey! I'm definitely going to look into classes. I'm sure my University has a few I could join.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Echoing all of the above. I dabbled with yoga for awhile, then bought a groupon for a studio in my area, which turned out to be the best thing ever. I did an introductory series (1 class a week for 4 weeks), that taught all of the basics. It was a wonderful way to learn the poses and proper form and alignment.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    it is so easy to have improper form and either injure yourself or not be getting the benefits from the poses. I practice at home but I also go to the studio 3 days a week, I still get adjustments every now and again for what seem like really simple poses like down dog. You are always learning and different teachers also focus on different things. no reason to be nervous jumping in to a class, you spend most of the time looking down :) no one is watching you.
  • nateandrews
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    Echoing all of the above. I dabbled with yoga for awhile, then bought a groupon for a studio in my area, which turned out to be the best thing ever. I did an introductory series (1 class a week for 4 weeks), that taught all of the basics. It was a wonderful way to learn the poses and proper form and alignment.

An introductory series sounds perfect. I'd be into that.
    Shan790 wrote: »
    it is so easy to have improper form and either injure yourself or not be getting the benefits from the poses. I practice at home but I also go to the studio 3 days a week, I still get adjustments every now and again for what seem like really simple poses like down dog. You are always learning and different teachers also focus on different things. no reason to be nervous jumping in to a class, you spend most of the time looking down :) no one is watching you.

Haha, true. I would only be worried if I wasn't going into a beginner's class
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Beginner's classes for yoga are pretty important- form and alignment are critical to enjoying your workout. It's a great workout physically and mentally!
  • nateandrews
    Options
    Beginner's classes for yoga are pretty important- form and alignment are critical to enjoying your workout. It's a great workout physically and mentally!

The mental benefits are one of the things I'm really looking to get out of it
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The mental benefits really are huge. The more you practice, the more it changes the way you see yourself and your body. You walk out calmer and more importantly, sometimes you get to keep that little bit of peace that your practice gave you. Studying yoga has made a critical difference for me- can't say enough good things.
  • nateandrews
    Options
    The mental benefits really are huge. The more you practice, the more it changes the way you see yourself and your body. You walk out calmer and more importantly, sometimes you get to keep that little bit of peace that your practice gave you. Studying yoga has made a critical difference for me- can't say enough good things.

I've heard about yoga and meditation being great at improving life outside of the class, which is very exciting. Good to hear it's done well for you!
  • Cocomo2015
    Cocomo2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best workout ever!! I love what it's done for my body and mind. :)
    Just jump in and start where you are. You'll learn the poses as you go along.
  • nateandrews
    Options
    Cocomo2015 wrote: »
    Best workout ever!! I love what it's done for my body and mind. :)
    Just jump in and start where you are. You'll learn the poses as you go along.

That's great to hear! I'm glad it's worked out for you
  • timmy2tall4u
    timmy2tall4u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Last September I moved into a new apartment. One of the features they offer is a twice/week yoga class in the studio.
    Having a very limited background with yoga I was excited but nervous. Flexibility and stretching can be daunting to males in general.
    Since I have started going to the yoga classes I became familiar with the focus aspect that accompanies. I took this practice and developed it on my own. I will be honest and admit that I still don't know what I'm doing but it has worked wonders for my personal and business relationships.

9am - 10 minutes
    +
    2pm - 10 minutes
    +
    Before bed - 10 minutes
    =
    Best times of my day!

Does anyone have suggestions for better times for meditation?

• juhishringi
    juhishringi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am doing yoga at home
    since many years ...and for biginers it's start from breathing asana ( posture) it's not very dificult u can do this easely ...at home ...frist u just hv to practice brithing asanas and then .for next level u should go to the callses ..like power yoga and other yoga asanas...
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Just start. Find a class and go to it. :smile:
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend going to a class. This way the instructor can guide you into the correct poses. Plus I find I try so much harder in a class than I do at home on my own
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, you can't really beat going to classes but once you've found a class, if you want to supplement that with home practise check out YogaJournal 21 day yoga challenge. There's a video a day at beginner and intermediate levels with different instructors.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Another vote for going to a class! I had tried to use DVDs several times, but I just couldn't get into it. I finally went to a class and it has totally changed my life! I am hooked and now go a minimum of twice per week...
  • nateandrews
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm gonna start looking at classes next week. Should be fun!