Vent - can't always meet goal due to occasional "mental days".

First post so go easy on me! :-)

Due to a recent death in the family/depression/anxiety I can't always meet my calorie goal. MFP shaming me for it just makes me feel worse!

It happens very rarely and I don't have an eating disorder. Sometimes I just want a hug rather than the shame. ;-) anyone else in my boat?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,131 Member
    Maybe just don't complete your diary on those days if the message bothers you. Nothing wrong with occasionally not hitting it if it's not frequent. I'm the opposite when I'm depressed/anxious - I try to smother the butterflies in my stomach with food and end up so far over it's ridiculous.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Its only your personal record. Id go with what alatariel said if it affects you that much. Its just a program. Its asking a bit much to expect i to know about your bereavement.
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Dont think of it as "shaming" its just helpful reminders. If you have a bad day due to those reasons, dont subimt your diary.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Good advice both of you, thanks!
  • kfayr
    kfayr Posts: 14 Member
    I have those days often. If I know I'm way over my goal I don't tick the "complete" button and I don't get food shamed. I know already how much I've eaten. I still like to track it though cause it does help when you look back and wonder why some weeks you weren't losing you know it was a difficult period
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't close my diary on days I go over or under. It still records everything for my information. Not closing it on my over days just avoids the embarrassment of my friends seeing it :open_mouth:
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    MFP is just a tool. Don't let it dictate how you feel, which I understand is easier said than done sometimes. As Alatariel suggested, I don't complete my diary for those days. It seems fruitless to log calories when I know I'm going to go over and don't care that day.

My condolences on your loss. And good luck in your journey!
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Do you mean the app itself makes things worse, or people's feedback?
  • Gska17
    DaFibble wrote: »

Just the app.

It's really silly, I know. Today was just not the best for me. A puppy could probably make me feel bad. ;-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,131 Member
    GingerSka wrote: »

Just the app.

It's really silly, I know. Today was just not the best for me. A puppy could probably make me feel bad. ;-)

Nope:

tumblr_m4lvxiZmPD1rni1ka.gif
  • Gska17

Just the app.

Nope:

tumblr_m4lvxiZmPD1rni1ka.gif

:D

Thanks.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    If the app shames you, then you probably need counseling. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I was using food for medicating emotional trama. I couldn't successfully start losing weight until I dealt with that pain. I'm still getting help in that work
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Some years ago, I suffered a loss that I struggled with and I spent several days fasting. I drank nothing but water. I'm kinda glad for the experience. I read my Bible from cover to cover in about two weeks. But you do have to start eating eventually.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited March 2015
    First post so go easy on me! :-)

Due to a recent death in the family/depression/anxiety I can't always meet my calorie goal. MFP shaming me for it just makes me feel worse!

It happens very rarely and I don't have an eating disorder. Sometimes I just want a hug rather than the shame. ;-) anyone else in my boat?

This is what I do. I set a minimal baseline for myself. Three squares and 1/2 hour on the treadmill at least five days weekly. (three works too) I don't sweat any other goals....just the minimal. When "life" hits hard I do the minimum baseline until I can do more. And...I don't beat myself up about it.

• andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    I don't close my diary on days I go over or under. It still records everything for my information. Not closing it on my over days just avoids the embarrassment of my friends seeing it :open_mouth:

Ditto!