Help

Options
Hi there,
So I am getting married in July, however when it comes to food I feel like I have a love hate relationship. There are days where I am doing really well, go the gym and eat ok, then other days I just eat whatever is in the cupboard and can't seem to stop. I know you will all be thinking 'well stop eating what's in the cupboard' or 'you know what you're doing wrong so stop doing it'. However it's not that easy. I just wrote this post to see if anyone has any tip on avoiding temptation/cravings as it seems that my will power doesn't seem to be great.
Greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I had to get rid of all of the tempting stuff. For example I stopped buying large frozen pizzas because I'd log one portion then eat the whole thing.

I also plan my food out for the next day and log it. That way it's all set up and I have a healthy, weighed-out breakfast, snack, and lunch to look forward to rather than considering Jimmy John's for example.

GL to you!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone has their own hurdles to face when it comes to food and weight loss. For me, I'm an emotional eater. A bad day or a stressful situation can push me to want to eat and eat and eat until all the bad things go away. Learning to recognize that before I got to the cabinets to start eating really helps me. And I've learned to channel my anxiety and other emotions into activities that aren't eating.

I always say that figuring out why you eat is step one. It could be something as simple as setting your calorie goals too low on your good days. In that case, resetting your goals and working on balance can be a great first step.

Or, if you're a more emotional eater or a boredom eater or just someone who eats out of habit, then picking up more hobbies and things that keep you busy can help. Try to pay attention to what is driving you to eat on your off days, pay attention to how you feel and what you're doing when you eat, and see if you start to notice any patterns. It sounds silly, but it really can help.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not being overly restrictive as that will bring on a binge!
    Make sure also you're getting a well balanced diet with plenty of veggies, protein and good fats.
    Drink lots of water!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Yeah you just have to find the alternatives that work for you. Everyone is different. Removing items from the house. Avoiding certain situations (unnecessary dinners out etc), drinking water first, having an activity box where you pull something out and do that instead of eating, there are tons of things you can try.

You will get some great suggestions, but just keep trying until you find what is right for you. Weight loss is simple, but very complex. It is a journey where you learn a lot about yourself and have to fall down a few times before you get it right. Long term success should be your aim :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with just not having junk food around. I have a really hard time controlling myself at times, too. If I just don't buy it, I can't eat it.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If it were as easy as just stopping the behaviors we know are bad, a lot of us wouldn't need to lose weight. :) Common sense is great, but eating can be an emotional and social experience, too. When they hit me, I have two types of binge days: one is the out of control munchies and the other is just craving one food (chocolate). For the out of control munchies, I've found that refocusing on a task that is incompatible with eating works pretty well. Take a walk, paint my nails, take a bath, go for a drive, etc. Sometimes that may not help and I chalk it up to a cheat meal and then get right back on track at the next opportunity. For the cravings of one thing, I find hot tea or low-fat latte will satisfy me. If not, I allow myself 4 normal-sized bites of the food. Sounds silly, but it works for me. Satisfies the need/want, but won't kill my best laid plans. You can do this. :)
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I know this is said a lot on here...but for me its true. I dont deny myself.

Personally, if I say "Im on a diet, so I cant eat XYZ" I will pretty much instantly crave it, obsess over it, and will not be satisfied until I eat so much of it that I sicken myself.

On the other hand, when I go into this with the mentality of, I can have it if I want, just be reasonable and make sure it fits in my days calorie goal...well now, its not some thing on a pedestal out of my reach.

I *love* boston creme donuts...and before, Id always break down in a week (or a day...usually a few hours) and have one. Its been 5 weeks now, and all the time Im like ooh this weekend Im going to get a donut! but I keep forgetting to so I havnt had any. Only thing that has changed is my perception....and in that, Im not feigning for it, only cause I know I can have it anytime I want. Same goes for chocolate, eating out, etc...

Now I do realize this would be of no help to someone if they have issues with bingeing and such...but just regular run of the mill wanting what you cant have, not banning foods from your diet does help shift the mentality and behavior quite a bit.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I know this is said a lot on here...but for me its true. I dont deny myself.

Personally, if I say "Im on a diet, so I cant eat XYZ" I will pretty much instantly crave it, obsess over it, and will not be satisfied until I eat so much of it that I sicken myself.

On the other hand, when I go into this with the mentality of, I can have it if I want, just be reasonable and make sure it fits in my days calorie goal...well now, its not some thing on a pedestal out of my reach.

I *love* boston creme donuts...and before, Id always break down in a week (or a day...usually a few hours) and have one. Its been 5 weeks now, and all the time Im like ooh this weekend Im going to get a donut! but I keep forgetting to so I havnt had any. Only thing that has changed is my perception....and in that, Im not feigning for it, only cause I know I can have it anytime I want. Same goes for chocolate, eating out, etc...

Now I do realize this would be of no help to someone if they have issues with bingeing and such...but just regular run of the mill wanting what you cant have, not banning foods from your diet does help shift the mentality and behavior quite a bit.

I am the same way-that why I love MFP.
  • shazza2013
    shazza2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies and support. It's hard having a 2 year old as there's always going to be something in the cupboard that's a little unhealthy e.g cake, crisps (chips if you're from America
  • shazza2013
    shazza2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies and support for this post. It's hard having a 2 year old as there's always going to be something in the cupboard that's a little unhealthy e.g cake, crisps (chips if you're from America) don't get me wrong I give my son healthy food but like all parents I give him the odd treat, but because of these things in the cupboard if I ever have a binge day then I will binge on it. Also being a working mum the odd day is sometimes a quick and easy dinner however never a takeaway or fast food, I sometimes finish what's on my son's plate if he has had enough.
    Anyway I think I needed to write this post to make me realise that I need to do something and I'm more than likely not alone.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    For what its worth...if you find it hard to keep certain types of snacks in the home that only your son eats, then make a shift to give him new / different types of snacks. Im actually a very odd parent, in that I dont buy snacks / junk food to keep in the house... If I do get it, its a single serve to have right then, but not to just keep in the cubbards.

also, up til kiddo was 5 I was a vegetarian, and for us, snacks was me cutting up carrots or slices of cucumber and such, to leave in the fridge so she could grab some whenever she wanted. The downside?! yes, there is one... Shes 18 now, and still prefers to grab fruit or veggies, and water or tea over sodas... Its embarrassing to run into the quick store, tell her to grab a snack, and when we meet at the register, Im there with a donut and a coke, and shes got a banana and a bottle of water. Are you SERIOUS?! Making me look bad. lmfao!

But all that aside...hes 2. You are right now teaching him what his eating habits should be and are his role model. Especially at that age, they want to be like you, and eat like you, and grow up to be like you...so its a great opportunity really, especially if you find the snacks hard to resist, to teach him healthy alternatives. And if you want to treat him, then make a go of it, to head out to the store to buy him a treat..not a whole box of it, just enough for him to have right then, and its more special to him that way too.