5 Months In, Here's What I Learned

Options
I'm not much for posting on any social media, but 5 months in I wanted to share what I experienced. Maybe it can motivate others to continue on their fitness journey.

To start, I am a 5'3" medium frame female. I was an "average" level runner, doing 10 minute miles and running for at least 2 miles one or two times a week. At my heaviest I was 130, which was still in a normal/healthy range according to BMI charts and what not. But even though I never really had weight issues, I sought to become stronger and less flabby. In all honesty though, it was when I saw 5'0" Kacy Catanzaro kick butt on American Ninja Warrior that started me on this fitness kick. My goal became 124 pounds and able to do 1 legit, no kipping pullup.

How hard could that be? It's just 6 pounds and 1 measly pullup.
I read everything on the internet about weight loss and fitness. I found SO MANY conflicting ideas that I really didn't know if I was heading in right direction. Even though I was searching for the BEST program to give me the BEST results, I realized all I could do was to do what I could stick with.

Here are a few of the things I did for the last 5 months:
- Started with 1300 cals/day and then to 1200 cals/day
- Started working out 3 times a week and then to 5 times a week (30-45 minute sessions)
- Strength training twice a week
- HIIT or running three times a week
- Abs three times a week (either with my strength or HIIT workout)
- Logged all my calories, but not perfectly. No food scale.
- Went low carb.
- Started doing a cheat meal/refeed meal almost every week when I was 3 months into it.

So on paper, with all the calorie deficits added up and rounded low, in 5 months I should be much lower than my goal weight, but I'm not. Here is my result after 5 months going at it: 126.5 lbs and still can not do one pullup.

Through these 5 months I kept scratching my head at the numbers. I've ignored my pangs of hunger. I've stopped eating bread and dessert for the most part. I've drank so much water. I've hauled my butt to the gym almost everyday whether tired, headachy, or even feeling sick, but the numbers didn't add up. What was I doing wrong? And just a week ago, it hit me. My goals were wrong and, with that, the way I was measuring success.

Here are the results I wasn't measuring:
- Can run 8:20min miles for at least 4 miles each session.
- Can bench 50lbs for 8reps x 3 sets (I started at only 20lbs!)
- As for the pullup, still working on it. Can get myself half way there.
- Lost 2 inches on my waist and an inch from my hips (and also lost in bra size...unfortunately)
- Losing a couple inches everywhere meant a smaller clothing size (which meant new clothes!)
- Lower body fat percentage.
- Love working out now. No more forcing myself to go.
- Waking up earlier, have more energy, don't get sick, and just all around happier.

I have since become highly suspect at this simple "calories in/calories out" formula. Especially since I have a husband that does not have to try AT ALL to keep a flat stomach with abs showing. He doesn't eat bad per say, but he eats a lot more carbs, desserts, and goodies than I do, at all hours of the day, and has never gained a single pound. In fact the only way for him to gain weight is to build more muscle. I kept hearing "eat a deficit," and "500 calorie deficit for a pound a week." But it just wasn't adding up for me. The things Iearned:

- Was I really getting the calorie deficit I thought I was? No. My BMR is around 1590 cals/day, so eating a healthy minimum of 1200 cals/day was giving me a 390 cals/day deficit. This is just from food, not adding my exercised calories. Still even with a deficit, if I was only counting 300 cals/day deficit for 5 days a week for 5 months, I should have lost 8.5 lbs. Which I did not. In fact I keep fluctuating from 125 to 129, so it seems like I haven't lost much weight at all.

- Are muscles significantly heavier? And could I have gained THAT much muscle to counteract my weight drop? I don't know for sure. There are way too many conflicting articles about this one. The bottom line is I have more now than I did before and I like that.

- Have I been eating too many carbs? I hover at 80g to 120g of carbs a day. I've gone on stints of 80g a day for a week and other weeks of not caring (not indulging, just not trying to stick to 80g a day). You know what happened? Not much. However, I did realize that I felt more full if I had some starchy carbs like oatmeal and potatoes and so I didn't have to fight the urge to snack later on. I felt it was worth the carbs to not have to fight yourself later on.

- Am I an example of set point weight theory in action? Possibly. In my case, I cannot seem to reach my old 124 lb goal. The lowest I would get is 125 and it would fluctuate back up to hover around 126.5 and go up as high as 129 some days. Since I am not willing to starve myself to get to my magic number, last week I decided since the weight is not changing even with a calorie deficit, screw this whole calorie deficit thing! Actually I decided I would eat my BMR of 1590 cals/day and get my deficit from exercise. I'm still using MFP to count calories, but not to track weight loss.

- Was it easy the whole time? I am pretty disciplined, but not a monk. I moaned many times about being hungry, being discouraged, wanting to not try as hard, etc. It was especially annoying that my dear one never had to give a single thought about how much he was eating while I was counting calories and working my butt off at the gym. :smiley: But man, does it feel good to stick to a plan and to keep caring about my health.

After reading the oodles of articles out there here is what I settled on being true from almost every nutritionist and health guru out there:

1. Get enough sleep.
2. Drink lots of water.
3. Eat as much non-packaged food (or as others like to call it, "real food") as possible.
4. Watch out for sugar intake.
5. Exercise regularly.

And here is what works for better health in my own experience:

1. Plan well. Plan your meals. Plan your exercises. Plan your cheat meals. Plan your restaraunt meals. Plan on what clothes you are going to buy when you're smaller. Plan, plan, plan.
2. Learn to love to exercise.
3. Wake up early (if circumstances permit).
4. Set goals other than weight. Be it your body fat percentage, your waist size, or feats of strength and endurance that you could not do before.
5. Be an example to others by encouraging them to get healthy and it will encourage you to continue.
6. Don't make excuses.

My new goal: Keep breaking my own records.
That's the end of my story for now. Best wishes on everyone's fitness goals!

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    kvanholla wrote: »
    Here are a few of the things I did for the last 5 months:
    - Started with 1300 cals/day and then to 1200 cals/day
    - Started working out 3 times a week and then to 5 times a week (30-45 minute sessions)
    - Strength training twice a week
    - HIIT or running three times a week
    - Abs three times a week (either with my strength or HIIT workout)
    - Logged all my calories, but not perfectly. No food scale.
    - Went low carb.
    - Started doing a cheat meal/refeed meal almost every week when I was 3 months into it.

I have since become highly suspect at this simple "calories in/calories out" formula.

- Was I really getting the calorie deficit I thought I was? No. My BMR is around 1590 cals/day, so eating a healthy minimum of 1200 cals/day was giving me a 390 cals/day deficit. This is just from food, not adding my exercised calories. Still even with a deficit, if I was only counting 300 cals/day deficit for 5 days a week for 5 months, I should have lost 8.5 lbs. Which I did not. In fact I keep fluctuating from 125 to 129, so it seems like I haven't lost much weight at all.

Get a food scale. There is no way you were even close to knowing your calorie intake without one. That is why you were assuming CI<CO doesn't work. I think you also mentioned cheat meals....those can eliminate a deficit really fast.

BMR is the lowest amount of calories your body needs to exist. I am guessing your TDEE is 1590....they are very different things.

I am guessing you are already in your healthy weight range. That makes losing weight very very very hard. You should only be losing .5 per week, and even that requires very diligent logging and measuring food.

But I think the attitude you have towards the end is great - start focusing on non scale things. Ditch a magic number, there is nothing magic about it. Fact is, most people can't tell if you drop or gain 2-3 pounds. So why worry about a specific number?

Best of luck and keep reaching for your goals :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have no idea of the calories you're eating without a food scale.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is great! I'd say forget the food scale at this point. A few vanity pounds (that you can barely see in the mirror if at all) aren't worth beating yourself up over when you've got lots of real-world results that aren't just a number on a machine. In my opinion, of you have to continue to carefully measure every bite your put into your mouth and never splurge in order to maintain a certain weight, then it's probably too low. I've been there.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    What does pre-packaged food and sugar have to do with measuring and never splurging? Calories in/calories out if you want to lose weight. I do agree that the OP is probably close to her ideal weight--not sure why someone at 5'3" and 124 pounds would feel compelled to go much lower?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    - Logged all my calories, but not perfectly. No food scale. . .I have since become highly suspect at this simple "calories in/calories out" formula.

Why do you suspect something that you didn't really try?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

So basically 5 months in you still have no idea what the difference between BMR and TDEE is, and clearly you don't know how to estimate your food properly because if your BMR really is 1590, your TDEE is probably way higher and you must have a big deficit, and you would have lost much more than that if you were logging properly.

• wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its a great post but without a food scale, you may (and you know im going to say it! LOL) be eating more than you think and closer to maintenance- which is why youre not losing but not gaining, either.

And, as I'm sure you know, with so few pounds to lose, you would have to be REALLY strict about how much you are taking in.

and when i finally get to my last 5 pounds, if it doesnt want to come off, it doesnt have to! (cause at that point I will have lost 130 ish LOLOL!)

I would think in your situation, focusing on strength, endurance, measurements, etc would be a FAR better indicator of how you are doing (and in that respect, it sounds like you are doing great!)

• karengetsfit
    karengetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips!
  • kvanholla
    kvanholla Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Get a food scale. There is no way you were even close to knowing your calorie intake without one. That is why you were assuming CI<CO doesn't work. I think you also mentioned cheat meals....those can eliminate a deficit really fast.

BMR is the lowest amount of calories your body needs to exist. I am guessing your TDEE is 1590....they are very different things.

I am guessing you are already in your healthy weight range. That makes losing weight very very very hard. You should only be losing .5 per week, and even that requires very diligent logging and measuring food.

But I think the attitude you have towards the end is great - start focusing on non scale things. Ditch a magic number, there is nothing magic about it. Fact is, most people can't tell if you drop or gain 2-3 pounds. So why worry about a specific number?

Best of luck and keep reaching for your goals :)

Let me make a correction before people get all upset over a mistake from a person who is not a nutritionist or doctor or professional health or fitness anything. Just someone reporting on a personal experience. I did mean TDEE, not BMR. 1590 is what MFP gave me to maintain 126.5 lbs.

As for the food scale, yes, there is no way of knowing exactly how much you have eaten without a scale. But there is no way of figuring out your exact BMR and body fat percentage and calories burned working out and whatever else goes on inside your body without more devices and tests. I guess what I'm saying is that is CICO really that simple? When I was estimating to eat 1200 I was already feeling hungry a lot. I just wonder how would knowing the exact number of calories will make me feel less hungry? I guess I don't want to live that way. Food scales definitely have their place, but it doesn't fit with my circumstances at the moment.

Also something a lot of people say is that the last 5-10 lbs are harder to lose. If you regularly stick to your deficit with food measured accurately with a food scale. Would it still be harder? :)

Thanks for emphasizing the point though, why worry about a specific number?! Best wishes for you as well!

• davemahon927
    davemahon927 Posts: 22 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am now 82 days in to my 'diet'. Emphasis on 'diet'.

6FT 2", starting off at around 15 stone, I have just weighed in at a tad over 13 stone this morning. 18 months ago, I did the diet thing, loads of exercise which I really don't like, no food weighing scales and denied myself enough of the treats which any human should have.

This time, food weighing scales, little exercise but loads of activity which I enjoy and in the main, I do not log (housework, walking, gardening) and eating more of the things I enjoy, plus a few crazy days without the guilt. I am enjoying this current period of weight loss and see it as a change of lifestyle, understanding food portions and not battling with myself when feeling guilty about exercising. Moderate activity.

IMO, the real difference in success, is the food weighing scales. Just one example, I love Alpen. I used to have a bowl without weighing. I reckoned to myself that I was having about 50g, erm no, when starting to measure, more like 75-80 g. In itself, that is about 80ish calories.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You are much confused.

It's calories in/out.

Nothing more, nothing less.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    BTW - your entire post is hedging for the very excuses you (pretend to) reject.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    X5duZ1p.gif?resize=500%2C255
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    BTW - your entire post is hedging for the very excuses you (pretend to) reject.

Did you read it all? My eyes legit glazed over at the thought of reading it. TL;DR man.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Yes, you do. It is written on every package. It may not be exact, but unless you can explain why the weight on the package doesn't match that of the food scale, a food scale may give you a false sense of security.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I like your post, OP. Keep doing what works for YOU.
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1590, and you're not measuring your food, I can guarantee you're eating much closer to that number than your 1200 limit. I have no idea how people expect the scale to move when you can't take an extra 30 seconds to be completely aware of how much you're ingesting. It's really eye opening once you start. I guarantee if you weigh your foods and clean up your diary, the scale number will go down, slowly but surely. If that's what you're after.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Here an example of a couple hundred difference if you measure or weigh your solid food. And this for only too types of food. Oats and peanut butter. People think..oh that isnt that much of a difference if i use cups and tbsp or weigh my food. But look at the video and be honest to yourself, it will open your eyes.

You have to weigh ALL your solid food.

When not, then you have no idea how much calories you eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes, you do. It is written on every package. It may not be exact, but unless you can explain why the weight on the package doesn't match that of the food scale, a food scale may give you a false sense of security.

How will knowing the exact weight of my potato or banana or almond butter give me "a false sense of security"?