New Here. Weekend=Scary

Options
caaber01
caaber01 Posts: 28 Member
i have been logging for almost a week and doing pretty well sticking very close to my 1450 per day. I think I'm going to be close to a 2-3 lb loss for the week, crossing fingers. After tomorrow, I'll be off work for the weekend and I won't have my normal routine. We normally eat out a lot over the weekends. Anyone have tips for keeping yourself steady when the routine changes? At work we also have a carry-in tomorrow. I'm afraid of falling off so badly that I give up. That's what has happened to me in the past. My goal is 40 lbs with no specific timeline. Even after that 40, I have another 30-40 I need to focus on then.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Perhaps you just need to look at things from a different perspective. So your normal routine is to eat out for most of your meals over the weekend. Are you making drastic changes now but once you reach your goal weight are you planning to go back to eating out for most of your meals over the weekend? If yes, then odds are you're going to put the weight right back on. Doing what you did before will lead to the same results later.

Instead, what you need to focus on is learning how to manage your lifestyle while losing weight so that you can maintain your weight once you reach your goal. So if your lifestyle includes restaurant meals on the weekends, then either work to find menu items that fit your calorie goal, eat only half your meals and box the rest for leftovers or cut down on the amount of times you eat out. The idea is to make changes now that are going to be sustainable for the rest of your life.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Even if you eat out over the weekend, there are still lower calorie choices that can be made. Make sure you research before you go out. That's what I do, because I still go out on the weekends. Most fast food restaurants have their nutrition charts online, and some of the more chain style restaurants do (like Chili's or Applebee's for example).

When I go to a restaurant that doesn't have nutritional values, I try to stick to something simple like grilled chicken, and I try to look for a closely similar entry in the database. For example: My work cafeteria has pizza slices every other day. I don't get them often, but when I do I put them in my diary as "Sbarro's" pizza slices because they are very similar.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    One thing I do is to exercise more on the weekends. During the week, I might only manage 60-90 min/day, but on the weekend, I can get out and be active for hours.

And not only do I "exercise" (long bicycle rides, hikes, etc.), I'm generally more active on the weekends. During the week, I have a full-time office job and I am a part-time student. So I sit a lot. But on the weekend, I'm up and around doing more housework, wandering about the yard and surrounding area with my camera, and so on.

As far as eating out goes, we've stopped getting pizza on the weekends, and that has helped immensely! But it has worked out that since I started here at MFP, I've had my birthday on one weekend, on two weekends friends from out of town have visited, and we had dinner meeting yesterday ... so all of a sudden I've been forced into eating-out situations.

One thing I've found has really helped is that I look up the menus of the places we've gone, and I've looked up or done the calorie calculations (a few sites have been nice enough to provide that for me), and I've chosen the lowest or lower calorie options.

For example, last weekend, we went to La Porchetta. I looked over the selection and discovered that several were quite high, and then I found that the spinach and ricotta cannelloni wasn't too bad. That's one of my favourites anyway, so that's what I ordered. :)

It does require a little extra thought and preparation. :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    The main thing is that this is a learning process. It will take time to figure out. If you overeat on the weekend, your goal needs to be to learn from it and get back on the horse asap. If you do everything perfectly then you don't get a chance to figure out what makes you vulnerable and what works for you when times are tough.
  • caaber01
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I will definitely need to look things up when it comes to restaurants. One of my major downfalls is McDonald's coke. I hate diet coke but love,love, love their coke lol! I've gone a week without it and have been drinking so much water. Yes, I do want this to be a lifetime change. One of my biggest problems is that I'm terribly picky. I hate almost every vegetable out there. I also hate fish and pork. I've been eating so. much. chicken - anyone have tasty chicken recipes so these tenderloins don't wear me down!?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we eat out a LOT.

exercise saves me.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    caaber01 wrote: »
    i have been logging for almost a week and doing pretty well sticking very close to my 1450 per day. I think I'm going to be close to a 2-3 lb loss for the week, crossing fingers. After tomorrow, I'll be off work for the weekend and I won't have my normal routine. We normally eat out a lot over the weekends. Anyone have tips for keeping yourself steady when the routine changes? At work we also have a carry-in tomorrow. I'm afraid of falling off so badly that I give up. That's what has happened to me in the past. My goal is 40 lbs with no specific timeline. Even after that 40, I have another 30-40 I need to focus on then.

If the prospect of the weekend is "scary" seek professional help
  • caaber01
    Options
    I need to begin exercising. I've put that off and only just began counting calories this week. I teach kindergarten and I'm exhausted when I get home. There are no excuses. I just need to do it.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I will definitely need to look things up when it comes to restaurants. One of my major downfalls is McDonald's coke. I hate diet coke but love,love, love their coke lol! I've gone a week without it and have been drinking so much water. Yes, I do want this to be a lifetime change. One of my biggest problems is that I'm terribly picky. I hate almost every vegetable out there. I also hate fish and pork. I've been eating so. much. chicken - anyone have tasty chicken recipes so these tenderloins don't wear me down!?

I wish I had better advice for the soda component. I've been drinking diet coke since junior high, so I actually oddly enough like the taste. Some Mcdonald's have coke zero - I don't know if that's something you'd like or not. I'd just get water if they have that option in the meals (I actually haven't been to Mcdonald's in a while, and I know when I went there last I just got diet coke...). When I go to sit-down restaurants I definitely get water, but that's because I'm cheap and I can't see a point to paying $2.50 just for a drink.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Portion control,allocating calories, choosing smarter.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on 2-3 pounds for the week, your deficit is too extreme.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    I need to begin exercising. I've put that off and only just began counting calories this week. I teach kindergarten and I'm exhausted when I get home. There are no excuses. I just need to do it.

Start by going for a nice long walk somewhere attractive ... walk along the beach, go for a walk in the woods, or whatever you've got in your area.

Bring a camera to take pictures.

Just enjoy the fresh air, and quiet (away from the kids!)

After a few weeks of that, you might want to pick up the pace, but for now, treat it like a little holiday from your usual life.

• caaber01
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Start by going for a nice long walk somewhere attractive ... walk along the beach, go for a walk in the woods, or whatever you've got in your area.

Bring a camera to take pictures.

Just enjoy the fresh air, and quiet (away from the kids!)

After a few weeks of that, you might want to pick up the pace, but for now, treat it like a little holiday from your usual life.

Nice idea.....I will attempt!