Building Muscle...

Options
I recently started strength training and I have been maintaining my weight for 3 weeks now, then just recently gained a pound!:ohwell: I am still eating the same and doing my cardio as well 5x/week, so my question is, when you start strength training, do you initially gain some weight because muscle weighs more than fat? I sure hope so! And if you do, when does the weight start coming off again?

109912.png

Replies

• weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    I recently started strength training and I have been maintaining my weight for 3 weeks now, then just recently gained a pound!:ohwell: I am still eating the same and doing my cardio as well 5x/week, so my question is, when you start strength training, do you initially gain some weight because muscle weighs more than fat? I sure hope so! And if you do, when does the weight start coming off again?

109912.png
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Me too, was wondering the same thing, I started strength training 2 wks ago, have not seen a budge in the scale, but I have more flexibility, and more strength, can even feel some muscles in my body, I never thought I would feel. I'm hoping with being consistent, the weight will start to come off soon, and there will be shape to my body. I wish you luck with your journey.
  • rdhd88
    rdhd88 Posts: 18
    Options
    Measure yourself instead & you should start seeing a drop in inches. Watch how your clothes fit also. Don't let the scale be your guide, let the mirror! Good luck to you! :)
  • Coach2010
    Options
    Since one pound of muscle is more efficient in taking less space than fat (one pound of fat = one pound of iron = one pound of fat, etc.), the area I'm sensitive too is when extended down time occurs post heavy lifting.

The fundamental is less weight & more reps (burn), equals "less bulk build"; more weight - few reps (stress), equals "bulk strength."; so, the caution is certain heaving lifting practices will make it easier to gain soft weight once you break off of the aerobics exercises (squats, bench, etc).

Cathie Friedrich on FIT TV has this down to a science. Check out her blog at:

http://www.cathe.com/fittv.htm

Enjoy!